Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

whats everyone doing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

whats everyone doing

Postby bnsafe » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

for memorial day weekend. if my family ever gets out of bed we are either goin to rocky mnt nat park or goin to the garden of the gods.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: whats everyone doing

Postby pointysticks » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

mountain biking.

putting together my last minute backpacking stuff. taking my wife out for a nice dinner. i'm gonna miss her so much on my hike. worst part of hiking and hunting as far as i'm concerned. so i will get in some quality time.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It is rain, rain and more rain here. We ain't doin nuthin.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Today: Short hike while sneezing (I dislike cottonwoods), Shooting bow to check out the work I did on my arrows and bow last weekend, chores and errands today.

Then 3 days in Denver visiting family. My mom is visiting and its her birthday Tuesday. Taking her to Denver Botanical Gardens for the big 75! She is in better shape than some 40 year olds.

After this weekend, it will be playtime in the Rockies from now til Oct 1st. Chores and errands will have to wait for 4 months while I go out and play.
mtnmutt

Postby ferris bugler » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I went for my last day of turkey hunting, now off to the Gates of Lodore for a week of rafting.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby cnelk » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Took yesterday off and went fishing with my daughter.
She caught 2 walleye and 6 trout

Today [Saturday] went up to my friends ranch and helped brand 550 calves.
Got that done by noon.

Now its off to some graduation parties...

Be safe everyone!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby otcWill » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Just finished a 10 mile scouting mission in my favorite OTC unit. Gonna do 20 more in the next two days!
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

sounds like alot of outdoors, very cool. we didnt get out in time so went to ft collins instead. the traveling vietnam war memorial was awesome, sobering, serene. got to teach my kids some serious lessons. and the very best part of it was somebody put a jane fonda memorial stapled to the outhouses. loved it.
bnsafe

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

bnsafe wrote:sounds like alot of outdoors, very cool. we didnt get out in time so went to ft collins instead. the traveling vietnam war memorial was awesome, sobering, serene. got to teach my kids some serious lessons. and the very best part of it was somebody put a jane fonda memorial stapled to the outhouses. loved it.

Now I know I like you. People forget so quickly, don't they. Let's all not forget why we are able to live the way we do and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. God bless those who died fighting for our freedom and bless their families, friends, and loved ones who supported them as they answered the call.

Yard work for me this Memorial Day Weekend.. no adventure but made some time to shoot a few dozen arrows and take a moment to remember some friends who are not with us anymore. I am finding some time this evening to hang out with some of the best folks I know, whom I've never met, right here. Wishing you all a safe and enjoyable holiday. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

i took my hat off while i was walking by the wall. that never happens but i owed them that. my 11 year old had alot of questions about what we were fighting for and why we fought when we are turning into what we were fighting against. hard questions to answer. my cousin is a green beret and they are headed to "jordan" in august. god speed, and thankyou to all who have served on here, my hats off to you as well.
bnsafe

Postby Indian Summer » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Late night bonfire with good friends last night. Paying the price this morning..... ugh!

Heading north to Tionesta and Cook Forest today for some scenic motorcycle riding. My old stomping grounds where I haven't been for a good 10 years.

Leaving Friday for a bear hunt so I've been shooting every day from an elevated stand which is going very well. At some point I need to scalp the darn grass again before the weekend is over.

This weekend when I see people with veterans hats and bumper stickers I take a minute to thank them. Its fun!

Freedom isn't free... thanks to those who paid the price to help keep us that way!

Mtnmutt you are certainly focused on your goal this year. I love it!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Yes, I noticed the same thing Mtnmutt! Great attitude! Joe, yes sir freedom comes with a price & many have given the ultimate price!! Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby planebow » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I helped set up a 3d course on friday and then shot 50 targets on saturday and then again on sunday. Picked up targets today. It was a good weekend camping and shooting with friends.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

drove from Colorado Springs CO to Vernal UT. The western slope sure is dry.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby elkmtngear » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Drove to the Wine Country to see my Nephew graduate from UCSF Psych Program (I'm a very proud uncle)! :)

On the way back Yesterday evening, I got lucky and spotted some Tule Elk off the road, and I got a little video!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Ripped lips all 3 days! Went farm pond fishing with my father in law Saturday, caught a good stringer full of bass, and had 1 over #6, 2 over #5, and about a dozen over 3! Real good day of fishing. Sunday, my 8 month pregnant wife was jealous and emotional :roll: , so I took her out to a strip pit and we slaughtered the crappie, caught over 100, many over 14", so we are in for a feast! Yesterday (Monday), we went to the lake to wakeboard and ski, but the water was to rough, so we catfished instead, and landed 12 channel, all between 4-10#, and one 25# flathead. All in all, a real good weekend!!

If there are any Veterans on here, let me offer a tremendous amount of gratitude for your sacrifices and selfless acts, because while many of you may not think of yourselves as one, you are truly heroes. Thank you for your service!!!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Lefty » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Friday graduation, grandaughters birthday dinner
Saturday fished at the inlaws lakwe place and made the family meal
Sunday, Church and Sunday obligations, cooked Satudays fish feast, packed and headed to bear country
Monday , bear hunted, and pulled bear baits
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Thursday, went to a retirement party and over indulged myself with 7&7s
Friday, went fishing with the family
Saturday, BBQed with the family and went fishing again.
Sunday, more fishing/ swimming with my family.
Monday, went to work, got my nose busted, went to ER came home had a beer than contacted 75% of my old unit I went to Iraq with via face book its almost a tradition for us. we talked and remember the ones who didn't make it back with us. some of us got hurt bad over there. I gave thanks to those who pulled me out when I got hurt, and to those friends of mine that didn't make it back. sobering day. it always is

I realize this is a late post but its what I did for the weekend
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bnsafe » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 19]

thanks for sharing that. is the fish in your avatar from the weekend. your obviously a better fisherman than i am, i couldnt catch a cold. and most importantly, thanks for you service.
bnsafe

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 20]

no I caught that about two week ago, nothing that big this weekend. lots of rainbows and a few smaller browns. the one in the pic is a 18 1/2" brown. im still new to fly fishing.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

jerinmn wrote:Thursday, went to a retirement party and over indulged myself with 7&7s
Friday, went fishing with the family
Saturday, BBQed with the family and went fishing again.
Sunday, more fishing/ swimming with my family.
Monday, went to work, got my nose busted, went to ER came home had a beer than contacted 75% of my old unit I went to Iraq with via face book its almost a tradition for us. we talked and remember the ones who didn't make it back with us. some of us got hurt bad over there. I gave thanks to those who pulled me out when I got hurt, and to those friends of mine that didn't make it back. sobering day. it always is

I realize this is a late post but its what I did for the weekend

In response to your post:

1. 7 & 7s? That's where my grandpa from MN came up with that foul drink 8-) .
2. Fishing? Are there any pike in CO ;)
3. BBQ.. Nice, what did ya burn on the grill?
4. Last one Jeremy. Thanks for your service and sacrifice for our county, and your battle buddies. It's guys like you that make us able to live the life we do. I know you've been through hell but you made it back and are living in God's country now. Thank you for your service. Rory
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 22]

X2...Thanks Jeremy, and all the others who have served. :)

Finally got the Tule Elk video up....made the 4 hour drive worthwhile for me:

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor