Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Missouri Elk!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Missouri Elk!

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

http://www.houstonherald.com/news/mdc-a ... f887a.html

At this rate maybe I'll have some free-rangers make their way over to SE Kansas by the time I retire (30 yrs.) :D Anyways, I'm glad to see the reintroduction gaining speed across the country!!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Missouri Elk!

Postby bnsafe » 05 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

they started that a couple years ago on the peck ranch, and was thinkin they might have a hunting season in ten years, obviously very limited but i assume they would want to kill off some of the older bulls that were in the early stocking. however, and i will have to tell you i laughed hard at this as a mo boy and hearing for 40 years we did not have mt lions even though there were multiple sighting each year, they had a trail cam pic of a mt lion standing on a dead elk on the peck ranch. i will see if i can find it somewhere and post it. its a classic if your from mo and listen to all the bull the mo dept of consv poors out.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby snake » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Being from Missouri, I'm very pleased that they decided to bring elk back to the state. Hopefully this continues to gain momentum and there will be a thriving elk herd here in the near future.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby bnsafe » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i agree snake, it was the right decision and hopefully sometime in the next ten years or so they can have a season like ky does with very limited draw. it would be nice if they do a pp point system where ky doesnt, or a one and done type tag so your odds go up yearly. i dont think it will be long in mo before there is a bear and elk season. never would dreamed that 20 years ago. with that said i am not a fan of the mo dept of cons.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby 6.5City » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Was fishing at Roaring River (Cassville Mo area) a couple weeks ago and Tim at Tims Fly Shop said they had quite a few trail cam pics of elk in the area. A couple cows and a spike bull recently. I've seen some in Arkansas traveling through the area. Pretty cool to know they are around.
6.5City

First Name: Michael