Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

workouts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

workouts

Postby bnsafe » 05 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

is everybody startin to ramp up there workouts. i did 5 miles with 55 lbs today then hit the wt room. did an hour of cardio yesterday. i will try to peak at 80 lbs in the pack while im hiking and stay with an hour of cardio but throw in several 5 minute bursts in there.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: workouts

Postby otcWill » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'm starting to hit the high country pretty hard whenever possible. Heading to my favorite otc spot this weekend for some camping. Scouting and hiking is my main form of exercise
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i have noticed, and i may be way wrong about this, that the locals dont exercise nearly as hard as the oos guys. not sure of the reason or even if thats valid. and it may be throwing alot of those guys that go in a half mile an stop into the mix and not the serious die hard guys like yall. if im right i wonder if its cause even where i live at 5000 feet you are more acclimated to it so it doesnt have the same affect, or is it because if you live here and hunt every year and buy cheaper resident tags its not a big deal, or if your spending thousands to come from the flatlands you spend more time gettin ready.
bnsafe

Postby tdiesel » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bnsafe I gotta agree with you some it seems the out of state hunters do all kinds to prep for the hunt. Personally I stay active with my lifestyle but can't say I work out for hunting usually pack in around four miles and hunt high but living at 8000 feet helps I drink as much Mt. Dew as possible to prepare for my hunts my friend from Maryland hikes with pack jogs lifts but he is out of breath at my house brushing his teeth first night even after being here a week he improves don't get me wrong but I could still walk away if I needed on a steep hill. Just can't overcome elevation. Also some individuals are just more efficient than others naturally. I wonder some if I exercised what I would be like. Maybe when I start getting older I'll have to try some workouts.
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

running, cycling..and gonna take a 60lb pack (hopefully lighter) on a fifty mile backpack fishing trip. nothing like the real thing.!

then another pack trip august to hunt cali mulie in the high country. sept, i will be ready.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Chukarhunter » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

bnsafe wrote: i wonder if its cause even where i live at 5000 feet you are more acclimated to it so it doesnt have the same affect, .

I live at 5300 feet, and I know I get winded quickly when hunting at 9000 ft and higher.... which means I still have to work hard pre season to get in shape!!
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby bowpackerrob » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I run about 3 to 5 miles per day and lift faithfully 3 days pers week. However living at about 300 feet above sea level, the altitude is still punishing for the first few days. Being on limited time, it seems like i am just really getting used to it and then it is time to go home. Maybe i could do ok if I wasnt in shape but after the expense of an elk tag and trip cost I am not taking that chance.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby bnsafe » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

i went hiking in the rocky mnt nat park a couple weeks ago to something like 8000 feet. i could tell a diff from 5000 but not nearly as bad as coming from 500 ft last year.
bnsafe

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have been working my arse off since January. Strength training to start, building now and I have 2 more weeks before I start HIT training. I have not ran as much as I did last year at this time, but it's coming. In the past I always believed that I didn't need to do all this to be a successful hunter....now I have learned I don't.....but it sure makes getting around the mountains easier and getting meat home for the tribe :D
Haulin'Quarters

Postby elkmtngear » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Been working out almost daily since about February, but my diet was lousy. Started getting serious about the diet about 6 weeks ago, and I'm already starting to see the faint outline of a long lost 6 pack emerging.

I will be way ready by September.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

workouts

Postby 8upbowhunter » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I live right about sea level and run 3 miles every other day in preparation for my hunt in September.

>>>-----8up----->
8upbowhunter

Postby WindedBowhunter » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Yep, I am preparing for the Super Spartan race, which will condition me for hunting season for sure! My training will continue as I have a Ragnar Race in October, so training > hunting > traininging > hunting....
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Z Barebow » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I run year around. I am taking a couple of weeks off after marathon on May 18th. I have been sore, but I destroyed my legs on this one.

I work out every day for my lunch break. (Stairmaster, stationary bike, elliptical)

I'll add in pack work on local flood dike as soon as I return to running. Preparing for elk season and my first 50 mile run in August.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby bnsafe » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 14]

holy cow i dont even like to drive 50 miles
bnsafe

Postby ctdad » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I workout all year and I'm always in good shape. I don't start increasing intensity until mid June bc I get burned out if i start the intense stuff too soon. Three months is plenty of time to be mountain ready since i stay in shape year round. Also, my work is seasonal and spring is the busiest time so it can be hard to find time consistently. Gotta pay for that elk hunt.
ctdad

Postby bnsafe » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

you are so right ctdad. last year i peaked way to early and lost the edge before elk season. this year i was determined not to do that but unfortanately im an all or nothing guy. i was gonna increase my cardio 5 minutes a mos til season and i got to 45 and am already beyond that, my joints hurt cause of the weights im doing (not much im not a strong guy). i think hitting it hard the last 6 weeks before season and staying in good shape all year is the way to go.
bnsafe

Postby mtnmutt » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I have been told that it takes 8 weeks on average to build muscle. I always start seriously training for races at least 9-10 weeks before a race since the week of the race you are suppose to ease up on training. Cutback on your workouts about 5-7 days before opening day and you will likely feel like Superman on opening day.

Remember to increase your protein. I have always been poor in this department:increasing protein. I am taking it seriously this year which helped with a half marathon in January.

Good Luck to you all and remember to stretch to avoid injury.

14 weeks until CO opening day.
mtnmutt

Postby cnelk » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I balance getting in shape along with practicing shooting.
You can be in the best of shape but the final answer is making the shot
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby WindedBowhunter » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 19]

mtnmutt you bring a very good point! You should take in at least 50gm of protein daily if you are training! I try to take in 100gm as this is more easily achieved with Wilderness Athlete's Protein shakes.

I think there is some magical formula to properly calculate how much protein an individual should in take based on age, weight, physical fitness level and level of intensity of workouts.

Dan over at http://traintohunt.com/ I am sure knows the math, he is a monster and a wealth of fitness knowledge and how it relates to us hunters!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 20]

mtnmutt wrote:I have been told that it takes 8 weeks on average to build muscle. I always start seriously training for races at least 9-10 weeks before a race since the week of the race you are suppose to ease up on training. Cutback on your workouts about 5-7 days before opening day and you will likely feel like Superman on opening day.

Remember to increase your protein. I have always been poor in this department:increasing protein. I am taking it seriously this year which helped with a half marathon in January.

Good Luck to you all and remember to stretch to avoid injury.

14 weeks until CO opening day.

mtnmutt,
How much should you back off? I havent heard this before and I am curious to how I should go about it.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby mtnmutt » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

If my race was on a Sunday, the training program would indicate my last run/workout for the race (half marathon/sprint triathlon) would be on Wednesday. For a half marathon, I would do a 3-5 mile run on that Wednesday and work on speed work. For a triathlon, I would choose one of the following: swim, run, bike on that Wednesday.

My last big go for the gold workout would be on Saturday/Sunday before next weekend's race.

Since walking and hiking are less intense than swimming, biking or running, you may be okay to do hiking up until opening day. I would not overdo it 5 days before opening day. No intense training in those 5 days going into opening day and your body will do well when you beat the heck out of it on opening day.

If you start training now and peak in 8 weeks, there is no reason you would have to workout much the week going into opening day. I would do some aerobic exercise on that Wednesday, but you should already have your muscle mass by then and you won't magically lose that mass if you stop exercising 5-7 days before opening day.

I am not an expert at all. The above works for me.
mtnmutt

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Thanks for the the response mtnmutt. Slowing down the intensity of the work to not strain your muscles makes sense. Just wasnt sure if you meant that on the cardio part. I know from prior experience, such as sports, you almost lose your game time conditioning....not up to game speed if you take too much time off. Thats where I was wondering on how much to step off with out getting away from a routine all together. Thanks again.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Re:

Postby Z Barebow » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 23]

mtnmutt wrote:If my race was on a Sunday, the training program would indicate my last run/workout for the race (half marathon/sprint triathlon) would be on Wednesday. For a half marathon, I would do a 3-5 mile run on that Wednesday and work on speed work. For a triathlon, I would choose one of the following: swim, run, bike on that Wednesday.

My last big go for the gold workout would be on Saturday/Sunday before next weekend's race.

Since walking and hiking are less intense than swimming, biking or running, you may be okay to do hiking up until opening day. I would not overdo it 5 days before opening day. No intense training in those 5 days going into opening day and your body will do well when you beat the heck out of it on opening day.

If you start training now and peak in 8 weeks, there is no reason you would have to workout much the week going into opening day. I would do some aerobic exercise on that Wednesday, but you should already have your muscle mass by then and you won't magically lose that mass if you stop exercising 5-7 days before opening day.

I am not an expert at all. The above works for me.

Spot on advice. When training for a specific event, whether it be a run, bike race, or a hunt, the hay is in the barn for the most part in the final week of training. There is very little you can do in the final week to add to your fitness, plenty of things you can do to screw it up. (I am no expert either, I just like to run. Mainly endurance/long distance.)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil