Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I made a mistake

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I made a mistake

Postby MTLongdraw » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Decided to hunt a new area in Montana for mule deer this year. Most of the areas where I live have gone to a guranteed draw for mule deer but the catch is, is you have to hunt that area solely. If you put in for it you can't hunt mule deer anywhere else in the state. Debated for a while but figured I would put in for it since its right out my back door. Had to put in for vacation back in November for the upcoming year. Can't change it either...Well when I got my mule deer tag in the mail it said the season ends November 17th. Two whole weeks before general season closes. Surely this was a mistake...A mistake on my part that is. Went back and looked at the regs. Sure shi$ it ends on the 18th. My vacation starts the next week. I don't know why they did this. Never really seen it before. I guess I still have weekends but darn it anyways. Elk and white tail end two weeks later. Kind of funny to me. Not to mention it seemed to be hid in the middle of a bunch of big black bold writing. The eye must have went right over it. Not to mention the regs werent even out when I applied for this tag. It was just a thrown together pamplet from the F&G. Now that I think of it I'm not sure if it said when the season closed on it. I probably just assumed it would be logical that it would end when the general rifle season ends. I had to use last years regs to get the right area etc. Oh well I'll have to adapt and change.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: I made a mistake

Postby Backcountry » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sorry to hear that. At least its close to the house. What unit if you don't mind sharing?
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby MTLongdraw » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

MTLongdraw

Postby Indian Summer » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Yeah that sucks Josh. When we had deer permits in 250 it was the same thing. Can't hunt anywhere else and it ended on the 15th... right when the hunting gets good. The bucks worth shooting won't come out of the woodwork til then. If you want a good one you'll have to go do your scouting or hope for snow early in November and some luck. I think they should give us til at least the 20th since we can't hunt other units and yes... the damn regs weren't out at app time other than the hodge podge pamphlet. MT FWP are not what I'd call a professionally run organization. A prime example is how they managed to go from 50% draw odds for NR elk tags to not being able to sell even close to what they have.

On the bright side... I don't know what your standards are but down close to 261 you should be able to find a shooter. I have no idea what the pressure will be like up there. In the Root I'm a southerner.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Can you trade vacation time with someone? Does someone want the later season?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 6]

that sucks, at least you get to hunt some
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby MTLongdraw » 05 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede...Getting days off requires an act of congress. Everything is set in stone so no trading allowed. It gets rather comical at times. Indian Summer, I'm actually planning on hunting farther south close to 261. My standards aren't to high for a deer, or anything for that matter. Never shot anything bigger than a 3 point mule deer so anything half way decent should do.
MTLongdraw