Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

holy cow

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

holy cow

Postby bnsafe » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

they just shot an elephant. those things are seriously ugly, and i would hate to have to pack one of them out.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: holy cow

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bnsafe: Do you have the freezer that could handle one? I think I would have to make a lot of jerky out of the hamburger/stew meat to get one in mine.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

nope, that would be a donation kill. personally i dont understand it, but if its legal go get em.
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i could never shoot an elephant. but ironically, i think elephant hunting will save the herds in the long run. some rich hunter wanting one, makes an elephant a huge valuable commodity. once they get valuable, they (the locals) protect them from poachers. i read that the money is like a windfall for some of the villages. and they get all the meat. win/win.

one article said the elephant is usually a rogue beast tormenting villagers anyways. along comes a guy with a lot of money, a big gun. it works.

i just saw a show where that Ross guy arrowed an elephant. great shot placement, but it did require a quick bullet to prevent the TV personality a stomping :)

anyone know the pricetag for an elephant hunt? six figures?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bnsafe » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i have no idea, and they say they are extremely dangerous, so if i was a villager i would prob support poaching just to get rid of them. lets face it, if grizzlies were walking around our towns we would shoot them all for "safety".
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

bnsafe wrote:i have no idea, and they say they are extremely dangerous, so if i was a villager i would prob support poaching just to get rid of them. lets face it, if grizzlies were walking around our towns we would shoot them all for "safety".

interesting seque!! i also read an article. i think it was titled, "can hunting save the grizzly?"..dont ask me what magazine it was in. i was at the dentist office.

the article could be summarized by saying; hunting would put the fear of man back into the grizzly, and there would be less bear/man conflicts.

elephant poachers kill for the ivory.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bnsafe » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

no doubt. i read an article a few years ago that mt lion attacks in california had skyrocketed after they outlawed hunting. im obviously not for poaching regardless of reason
bnsafe