Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

AC Joint Separation (Shoulder)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby LckyTylr » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anybody ever done this?

I have a grade 3 separation. Happened last Saturday. I'm reading online that it could be from 2-3 weeks and possibly up to 6 weeks before the pain subsides enough that I can start to regain range of motion and strength. I don't know how long it will take once I can start, but who knows.

I'm REALLY hoping that it won't impact my archery season (more importantly, the hours and hours of practice required). Anybody know how long it takes before it's reasonable to expect that I can start shooting again?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: AC Joint Separation (Shoulder)

Postby ctdad » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Did you have to have it put back in? I have no experience. Hope you have a quick recovery
ctdad

Postby easeup » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

dont know what a grade 3 is.
but that type thing can be a real bummer when it comes to drawing a compound.
Eat well, sleep well, do the rehab exercises as prescribed.
and pray regularly and you might make the starting lineup come sept. :)
easeup

Postby MontBison » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Had one about 5 years ago. Best advice I can give you is wear the dam sling they give you and do PT. To this day I wish I would have done more to help in the healing process but as a 19 yo freshman in college I didn't think it was a big deal.
MontBison

Postby LckyTylr » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys.

I didn't have to have the doc put it back in place. He figured that at the speed that I crashed, I separated it upon initial impact and then bumped it back in place in the 3 or 4 rolls that I did before I came to a stop. Think Skier Yard Sale and throw in a dirt bike.

Unfortunately, I understand the importance of slings and braces all too well. I broke my scapula and collar bone in the same shoulder a few years ago . . . in almost identical crashes. That took about 8 weeks to heal because the scapula was having a hard time fusing back together. That actually hurt for about 6 weeks. This is a different injury (tendons tearing rather than bones breaking). It feels a little better already, but I know that when I tore my ACL in my knee, that was a huge deal that never really healed. I'm hoping that if I follow the doc's orders very strictly, it won't be soo bad.
LckyTylr

Postby Slim jim » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I did the same thing years ago snowboarding and it to about 4 weeks to heal but I don't think I would have drawn a bow for a couple weeks beyond that
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts

Postby Moose-head » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The doc (maybe physical therapist) can give you rubber band thinks that you put in a door jamb to pull on. They are different colored based on the amount of resistance that they give. You might want to pull on those first.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby bnsafe » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

hows it feelin lcky
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby LckyTylr » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

It's getting better I think. Yesterday I had a really good evening. I had been watching a movie on the couch with the Wife for an hour or so (usually enough time for it to stiffen up and hurt). I got up, filled my glass of water (using both hands), walked back to the couch and realized that I used both hands and didn't notice any pain. Sweeeeeeeet!!!

It's starting to hurt more IN the sling than it is Out . . . I think that's good . . . ?
LckyTylr