Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Consultants

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Consultants

Postby mtnmutt » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Perhaps I am a little slow to notice this, but I just noticed how some of the frequent contributors have gone from Herd Bull to Elk Consultant. Herd Bull was no longer cutting it for these veteran elk masters.

I am sure some of them also know a thing or 2 about Deer and Turkey.

Since several of these people just started a Camp Fire Jokes and Mistakes Post, I find the timing interesting. I guess we are now suppose to take what they say seriously?

Just in case you did not notice if using tapatalk and want to know their new rank. If I left someone off, my apologies.

>>>---WW---->
Elk Calling and Tactics Consultant

Swede
Elk Hunt Tree Stand Consultant

Indian Summer
Elk Hunt Planning Consultant

slim9300
Elk Hunt Strategy and Tactics Consultant

Phantom16
Elk Hunt Strategy and Tactics Consultant

cnelk
Elk Hunt Basic Tactics Consultant
mtnmutt

Re: Elk Consultants

Postby easeup » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

could it be.....maybe they are now collecting a check for services rendered ?
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i wanna be a turkey slaying expert consultant. no check required
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Checks! Ha ha. No checks. Just a labor of love. We were asked to consider titles that were maybe a bit more reflective of what we do. He Who Yaks On & On About Elk Hunting was too long so I had to think for a minute. Never really pondered what it is I do here. But... then again I guess I have mentioned that what I really like doing is helping the newcomers to elk hunting. What are the newcomers trying to do? Plan a hunt to get their first elk.... so if I try to help them narrow down their choice of states, camp sites, ridges etc from the many options I guess the title fits. That's more my bag than talking about calling scenarios and some of thedifferent gear out there.

I just noticed the change yesterday myself.

Can we give titles to other members? MntMutt you could be our Princess of Elk Hunting. :D

BnSafe I'd be glad to call you the TurkeyNut if you want me to. :lol:

I'll gladly split my check with you two as well. lol
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

All of these "hunters" you mentioned have a great passion to pass on helpful information to others. They spend many hours posting new topics, responding, and assisting new hunters. ElkNut Forums have appreciated their personal commitment and will continue to support them and promote the wisdom they all have to share. Like many others, they do it for the love of the sport and not for a paycheck.

We also appreciate any comments, from any hunter, no matter how much experience they have. Even the most veteran hunter can learn new things!

Personally, I enjoy great threads like the "Camp Fire" thread. A little humor mixed in with hunting information is always fun.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Titles are really not important to me. I did not care about being a herd bull or elknut. The title is not the main point. The herd bull and elknut titles are given to encourage people to participate. What Paul and John have long been trying to do is reach out to hunters like you. To offer you ultimately a better hunting experience. At the same time issues and opportunities develop. Paul and John are trying to make the forum work even better for you. I and others here have been on board, trying to help, trying to support their effort. Paul and John are also trying to expand the forum. As best I can guesstimate, this forum reaches about 1 in 1000 elk hunters.
True accomplished hunters are not intimidated by or envious of other hunters success. Every "consultant" on the forum wants the people who come to this site to be the most accomplished and satisfied hunters, humanly possible.
Yes money is probably involved. This forum can not survive with out funding, but none of us who were offered a title were offered a dime. The titles are a way to show you, some folks, you are likely to get highly experienced hunting information from. I am the "tree stand elk hunting consultant". That helps people, especially those new to the forum, to recognize me as someone with considerable experience in that particular area of hunting. It does not mean that someone else is not highly qualified to share information. Hopefully it attracts more people to the forum.
Money??? If I did what I do here, or promoting Oregon Bow Hunters Association, or writing the book on tree stand hunting elk for money, I must be completely stupid. Honestly, if I did not just love hunting, especially elk hunting, with a desire to share that love for the challenge with others; I would be simply known as a "lurker".
Note: John F. Posted his comments above while I was writing this. They were not coordinated.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:MntMutt you could be our Princess of Elk Hunting. :D

BnSafe I'd be glad to call you the TurkeyNut if you want me to. :lol:

I'll gladly split my check with you two as well. lol

My coworkers, family and friends would be laughing their heads off if you called me that.

I wanted to stay a calf and never grow up.

My last boss asked me what I wanted for a job title and I said "resident idiot consultant". I didn't want anyone to think I knew anything. I still purposely don't tell people on conference calls my last name, so they can't find me. It has worked great.

Nothing against you veteran elk hunters, but in the workplace, I have never thought much titles. In your cases, you all are well deserving of your new ranks.
mtnmutt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Me? I'm merely an older salt that has spent every year since I was 15 or so (rudely interrupted for quite a few seasons by Uncle Sam) attempting to get up close and personal with elk, with bow in hand, with pretty good success. How much do I love elk hunting? So much that I won't end my precious season early with a small bull or a cow even if legal in the area I'm hunting.. Ask the guys I've taken out and they will attest to this sickness I have. I've never shot a record book bull but have called in quite a bunch of them again, with pretty good success. This forum and Elknut's philosophy is so unique (some of you know) that I can't even describe it in words. I will share everything I have learned and know with anybody willing to listen. Am I an expert? Nope... I think there are only a handful of guys living that I would consider an expert at this thing we call elk hunting. One of them started this forum. There are few others that frequent this site that I would consider legitimate elk experts.. not me, I just love to hunt them as many on this forum do...whether it's the first time out or the 37th season.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

mtnmutt wrote:Nothing against you veteran elk hunters, but in the workplace, I have never thought much titles. In your cases, you all are well deserving of your new ranks.

I totally agree. I like to stay under the radar myself. I always use the saying "I don't care if you're the Pope" When it comes to elk hunting and the forums they coulda just called me Chronic Bull$h1tter or maybe Chief Sit & Bull.

Just don't call us late for dinner right Princess Patricia Future Elk Slayer? hee hee
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

friends!
surely you knew I was just joking?
You guys are the salt of this forum and are most appreciated for all of the free contribution of expereince and encouragement to all its participants.

honest.
easeup

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Very deserving of the titles IMO. Being apart of the forum for close to 2 years now, one mainly just as a lurker, I looked forward to all of your posts and have learned more from here than I have any magazine I have bought or dvds, well I need to include the elknut dvds though ;).
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

These guys are here to help is all & they post regularly, they are very experienced in their fields but not know it alls, they are more than willing to share their hard earned knowledge with all of us because of their passion for elk hunting. There are others here as well that have real world experience no doubt but these guys have taken the time nearly everyday to be here to help out newer ones as well as ask a few questions themselves. They are not here to lord it over anyone but the info they share can be trusted! Thanks

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Guys and Gals,

It's all good. I'm sure others probably had the same question about the title changes.

Indian - Can I be called "The Elk Prince". Please!

mtnmutt - Everyone must grow up....you are now a spike. ;)

easeup - You are in trouble. I want a 1000 word essay, in my inbox by tonight, defining economics in the sport of hunting. :P Just kidding bud.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby mtnmutt » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I never meant to offend anyone by my OP. Obviously, I could have worded things better.

I have learned more on this forum from these people and others here than I did in my first 3 years of elk hunting. In fact, when I keep notes on their suggestions, I put their names next to my notes.

As new people trickle into the forum, those new ranks will help new people notice their contributions even more so.

As for Mistakes and Camp Fire Jokes, they were very good Posts and I was trying make a light joke that I did not pull off well.

I do hope all those new hunters who get an elk this year, remember to come back here and thank the people that helped them get it done. We may not be able to pay you, but we can at least thank you.
mtnmutt

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 15]

i could prob do it, but then i would be the economic nut, and i really like turkeynut. thanks. i like the idea. i hope you guys all know, rather you have a title or not, that us flatlanders learn a ton from you. this is my go to site, mainly cause i have never been called to the carpet over a stupid question. i just wish i could add more, someday. in the meantime, if anybody has any desire to hunt missouri for anything or wants some advise on killing turkeys anywhere i can help there. that im actually very good at. feel free to shoot me a pm anytime.
bnsafe

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

bnsafe wrote:i could prob do it, but then i would be the economic nut, and i really like turkeynut. thanks. i like the idea. i hope you guys all know, rather you have a title or not, that us flatlanders learn a ton from you. this is my go to site, mainly cause i have never been called to the carpet over a stupid question. i just wish i could add more, someday. in the meantime, if anybody has any desire to hunt missouri for anything or wants some advise on killing turkeys anywhere i can help there. that im actually very good at. feel free to shoot me a pm anytime.

Sorry, changed my post. Meant to say easeup needs to send me the essay. But if you really want you can send one too! :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 17]

lets have a competition, winner gets a week elk hunt with john, :o . obviously im kiddin, back to turkey nut
bnsafe

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 18]

bnsafe wrote:lets have a competition, winner gets a week elk hunt with john, :o . obviously im kiddin, back to turkey nut

I'm game.....who's this John fella you speak of?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby dotman » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Phantom16 wrote:Me? I'm merely an older salt that has spent every year since I was 15 or so (rudely interrupted for quite a few seasons by Uncle Sam) attempting to get up close and personal with elk, with bow in hand, with pretty good success. How much do I love elk hunting? So much that I won't end my precious season early with a small bull or a cow even if legal in the area I'm hunting.. Ask the guys I've taken out and they will attest to this sickness I have. I've never shot a record book bull but have called in quite a bunch of them again, with pretty good success. This forum and Elknut's philosophy is so unique (some of you know) that I can't even describe it in words. I will share everything I have learned and know with anybody willing to listen. Am I an expert? Nope... I think there are only a handful of guys living that I would consider an expert at this thing we call elk hunting. One of them started this forum. There are few others that frequent this site that I would consider legitimate elk experts.. not me, I just love to hunt them as many on this forum do...whether it's the first time out or the 37th season.

Expert or not I have a feeling I'll learn a thing or two this fall, even if it is how to pick the best elk berries for flinging :)
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 20]

think his last name is fitzel something or other. the word is he really knows his stuff when it comes to elk, and a great guy. :D
bnsafe

Postby dotman » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 21]

bnsafe wrote:think his last name is fitzel something or other. the word is he really knows his stuff when it comes to elk, and a great guy. :D

I think someone smeared an elk turd on your nose :)
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 22]

would that help me kill one :lol: .
bnsafe

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 23]

[/quote]Expert or not I have a feeling I'll learn a thing or two this fall, even if it is how to pick the best elk berries for flinging :)[/quote]

Don't take the art of flinging elk berries lightly. The right berry consistency, elevation, weather factors, decision to fling one or multiple rounds at the back of your hunting partner's head, using gloves or no gloves, having a backup handfull in case an elk berry fight erupts on the mountain, are all contributing factors to this activity ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Mental note - Never let Phantom16 walk behind me! :)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 25]

slim should be:

"your gear-money spending consultant" hahah..

i really value his opinion. in the long run, hope he saves me money ;)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 26]

When I first heard about this change to consultant I wasn't too wild about it. It just sort of has a ring to it that makes me think of someone that may just be a notch above others. But trust me, I'm no better than the rest of you Elknuts and truth be known, there are probably alot of you that know as much or more than me.

But I do enjoy sharing some of my tips and tricks and tales I have learned along the way in my 35+ years of chasing elk. And isn't that the reason we are all here? To learn from each other and share our knowledge.

Paul and I have been friends for several years. I'd take a bullet for him any day. So if consultant is what he wants, consultant it is. I suppose I've been called worse! LOL!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dotman » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I think you all have earned it! Us young pups willing to learn appreciate it even if we make fun of you.
dotman

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Sounds like nobody likes the term "Consultant" and that means I'm out voted. :D Want it removed? Respond to the IM I sent all of you.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby mtnmutt » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 29]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Sounds like nobody likes the term "Consultant" and that means I'm out voted. :D Want it removed? Respond to the IM I sent all of you.

I truly regret my OP.

Gentleman,
Consultant is just a word. Any word has different meanings to different people. In this case, the word is used very well.

My title at work ends with the word consultant and that is the only word I can ever remember in my job title. If someone asks me my title, I have to look it up because I can't remember it. After 3 years, I still don't know why consultant is in my job title. I rarely consultant on anything.

Keep the word. You will likely forget what your rank is anyway if you have bad memory like mine.
mtnmutt

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 30]

"Keep the word. You will likely forget what your rank is anyway if you have bad memory like mine."

Ha Ha, now I can relate to that statement! (big grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re:

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 31]

mtnmutt wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:Sounds like nobody likes the term "Consultant" and that means I'm out voted. :D Want it removed? Respond to the IM I sent all of you.

I truly regret my OP.

Gentleman,
Consultant is just a word. Any word has different meanings to different people. In this case, the word is used very well.

My title at work ends with the word consultant and that is the only word I can ever remember in my job title. If someone asks me my title, I have to look it up because I can't remember it. After 3 years, I still don't know why consultant is in my job title. I rarely consultant on anything.

Keep the word. You will likely forget what your rank is anyway if you have bad memory like mine.

Please mtnmutt, don't regret your post. :) You said nothing wrong. Since the forum is new, Paul and I will be tweaking things for a while to get the best forum possible. If the word Consultant doesn't fit for some, we will use something that does.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Guys, see your IM again. Just an FYI, our advisers will not be loosing their titles. Maybe just a word or two change.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Z Barebow » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 33]

I would like to refered to as "Vice President of Looking out the Window".
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Harmy » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Personally, I hate the word "Consultant". Mainly because it reminds me of that horrible 4 letter word beginning with w and ending in k. I am a professional consultant for a living and do not want it to ever interfere with my passion...

Based on my reading of these "consultants" posts over the course of the last 10 months the word "Guru" is how I tend to think of them. It would explain why I seem to gravitate to posts within threads by these individuals. Or, maybe it is simply statistics. These guys post ALOT :!:

Definitions:
Guru: "A spiritual teacher, esp. one who imparts initiation"
Consultant: "A person who provides expert advice professionally". And in my experience charges way more than they are worth and are usually not as "expert" as they tend to make you believe...

Are you guys guiding my "spirit"? Are you imparting "initiation"? Yes and yes. I guess my logic would then classify Paul as a Consultant. BUT one who provides true value. Alternatively, maybe Paul is the ElkSage (def: a profoundly wise man). But I think he is fine as THE crazy elk master called ElkNut.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby ctdad » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 35]

I almost exclusively use tapatalk. No titles visible. Wonder how many posts i have? ..... that doesn't require a response. :-)
ctdad

Elk Consultants

Postby Huntography » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 36]

I am looking forward to having the title of Monster Spike!

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Elk Consultants

Postby Huntography » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Btw, Paul is the elk Yoda!

And if you can believe it, he has never seen Star Wars.

I know what to get him for x-mas :)

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby cnelk » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 38]

I have never seen that movie either...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Elk Consultants