Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mothers Day this weekend

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mothers Day this weekend

Postby easeup » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK elknuts,
you know she is your mom and nursed and raised you to strong young man.
How many out there can say part of the elknut blood came because of mom's influence?
If so, what is something special you have planned to do for the day?

me....neither mom or dad provided that influence.....great parents loved them both, but the craze started in the barber shop as I recall.
easeup

Re: Mothers Day this weekend

Postby bnsafe » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

neither one of my parents will talk to me so im devoting the whole thing to my wife, hopefully gonna bbq some thick steaks and relax. and no i got the hunting bug on my own, not sure how. dad hunted occ but not seriously
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Mom was great, but she was not interested in participating in hunting. She was a great cheerleader for the men in the family. Mom has been gone for over 18 years now. I expect to see her again in heaven, because she knows Jesus as her Lord and Savior. She will be as happy to see me there, as she was when I came in with a fat buck or bull. She always expressed joy and amazement when one of us got something.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

When I told my mom 4 years ago I was taking up elk bowhunting, she said "You're crazy". Note, she has said this same thing to me for many things that I have done. She wasn't against hunting. She just doesn't like her daughter taking up what she thinks are risky hobbies. My parents always encouraged us to pursue what we wanted, even if it wasn't something traditionally done in our family. My father passed away when I was 19 and he never hunted. However, he took me out target shooting with a rifle. My mom's brother in law hunted PA deer with rifle and that is the only hunter in the family.

Fast forward to today, my mom now goes around bragging to her neighbors and friends that her daughter is an elk bowhunter. It helps that one of her neighbors used to hunt elk and deer with a bow. I have yet to get an elk.

My step-father who passed away last year, was my biggest "cheerleader". Every call in September started with "Did ya get one yet?"

Usually, I visit my mom in NV for Mother's day or Easter. She was traveling with my brother for Easter. This year she will be here in late May for her birthday, so this year, I shamefully only did a February trip to NV and did not travel to NV for Mother's Day.

I would really like to give her some elk meat at Thanksgiving. I was bummed I could not give them some before my step-father died.
mtnmutt

Postby pointysticks » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i was a very young man when my mom ponied up the cash to send my brother and i elk hunting in colorado.

we messed up and didnt get to hunt, but my mom was "on board" right from the beginning. better hunting than, acting the fool doing stupid stuff.

she appreciates our love of the outdoors. when we did finally get a couple of elk on the ground. my mom MADE my stepdad drive her the 3 hours to our camp to check out the animals..she was proud of us.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

As much as she didnt want too she would take my brother and I out 5:30 AM to check traps
After 6-7 years she started bragging about how much we liked trapping and that it was good for us
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dapper » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My mother didn't hunt, but she always was excited to hear our stories and still is. She has helped me track wounded whitetails and even bait black bears. I couldn't have asked for a better mother or father.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby kjv1959 » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I am 55 and my Dad got me started into hunting at an early age but my Mom was always there to encourage us . Now I have 2 people to do something for on Mothers day as my wife and I now take care of my Mom. She thinks its great my sons and I are going to Colorado elk hunting this fall to the point of buying me a brand new BDC scope. Now how do you make up for something like that On Mothers day.
kjv1959

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Vroman

Postby Buglemaster » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

My Mom has been gone for several years now but in the early years of my "hunters education program" she was as instrumental in my education as anyone.She LOVED to hunt & was successful on several ocasions with her old 300 savage which I killed my first bull elk with at the age of 17.I started at an age where I probably would have been a handicap to my Dad, but she would gladly take me along on her forays from camp. We had some great times together during those outings & I learned alot from her.I dont know the exact number of times she missed an elk or deer hunt, but unless she was expecting or had recently delivered one of us 6 kids, she was there.It is illegal today & probably was then, but the very first deer I shot, I was with her & she let me fill her permit with that old 300. I can still remember the pride we felt together that cold snowy day in northern Colorado when all the men came back into camp empty handed to discover Mom & I skinning MY deer at the meat pole.I believe I was 11 years old.Later on in years, she did'nt go out much, but always kept a clean camp,had great meals prepared when we came back into camp & greeted us with a big ol grin & the "get anything" questions.It was before my time, but when my parents lived in Idaho she was right in line with the others as they rode horse back the 12 miles into the Selway on the annual elk hunt.(Why was I born so late).

Wow, just typing this stuff shure brings back some great memmories.Thanks for bringing this thread up & allowing us to honor our Mothers. Even tho she "shot like a girl" :) I would give up alot to spend this weekend with her.Thanks Mom!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby easeup » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Buglemaster wrote:.....................................
Wow, just typing this stuff shure brings back some great memmories.Thanks for bringing this thread up & allowing us to honor our Mothers. Even tho she "shot like a girl" :) I would give up alot to spend this weekend with her.Thanks Mom!

thats what I had in mind. great job by the way.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Will certainly give mom a call in NW MT tomorrow. Where to begin. Well, she supported my old school father (should have been a mountain man, born 100 years too late kind of guy) for all those years till he passed away several years ago in all his endeavors. This women could make a few elk and several deer last for almost an entire year making some of the best meals you can imagine. Here elk burger tacos was probably a highlight of my week ;) She didn't hunt, didn't drive, but was the best stay at home mom and really, the rock in our family during our childhood. Yes sir, salt of the earth my mom and I appreciate her every day.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby easeup » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

every mom is always in some need of a little appreciation.
after church this morning, the mrs and I took her for lunch.
I took her hand and said grace for the meal and prayed for her continued health.
She was honored.
easeup