Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hiking an estes park

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hiking an estes park

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

went hiking 4 miles today thru the rockies up by estes, i have ice on one knee and heat on the other. this happened last year and i was down an out for about 6 weeks. my ileotibial bands on my knees dont take stress well evidently. had alot of fun til the way down then almost couldnt make it cause of the pain in my knees. not good.
anyway, we saw bout 60 elk but alot of em had collars on, some had ear tags, etc. whats up with that. looked more like a herd of cows.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Estes park and Rocky Mountain National Park elk are in abundance and causing damage that is hurting other species. Couple years ago they killed some RMNP elk because of feers of disease. Those elk do not migrate much. Held a lottery for anyone to get the culled elk meat. They fenced off some areas to help other species recover. They are tracking those elk to manage them better.

If you want to hear elk bugle up close, within 50 yards, go to Morraine (sp?) Park in RMNP during the elkfest in early October. Take lounge chair and picnic lunch. Be careful. Bulls will ram your car and I saw a cow almost head butt a woman who got too close to take a picture. The woman had poor judgement and went towards the cow to within 5 feet. The cow was not happy having a camera rammed in her face.
mtnmutt

Re: hiking an estes park

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

How do you plan to hunt with knees that bad. Better get them checked out soon. Maybe a good Dr. can get you on some good inflamitories.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: hiking an estes park

Postby bnsafe » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

last year was worse and with rest, nsaids, and strengthening i did alright. its a stretching issue not a structural one, i just hate to stretch but gotta start making myself do it.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott