Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

anybody bear hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

anybody bear hunting

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

this spring. in hindsight i should have done more research and work so i could have went to wy, next year hopefully. so, anybody been out or going
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: anybody bear hunting

Postby pointysticks » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

this is going to sound retarded..but here goes.

for whatever unexplained reason, my wife LOVES bears. i dont know if it is a sick deep seated feeling steming from her first stuffed animal or what. i found this out last year. my friend drew a coveted "X" zone for california deer. he put in on a whim, zero points and WHAMMO! drew a fantastic zone. he was so happy till he realized he would have to do it solo. this guy cant identify a deer kidney from a deer liver. zero field dressing skills. (he is the guy we put on a 5x5 elk last year)

he asked me to go to help him hunt. i considered it. camping, hiking, tag-less..ok. i was bumming alittle bit from spending my hunting funds on a tagless expedition..then it dawned on me. i could buy and OTC bear tag!!! that area has BEAR PROBLEM!! win!

i told my wife. the "nooooooooooooo" and the look on her face told me it wasnt going to happen. call me stupid, call me weak..whatever. i know how to be a married man by "picking my battles"..i knew (that same week) i had to inform her that i was going to buy an Idaho elk tag..she was stoked about the elk tag..i decided not to poke the badger.

bear hunting looks fantastic. up close and personal, on the ground, eye ball to eyeball with a bear in bow range must get the adrenalin pumping.

one day. i'll work on the wife slowly. baby steps..maybe diamond and new shoes..lots of new shoes. :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I always hunt bear...I got a great friend hooked on it two years ago, and now he would rather hunt bear in September then elk!! He loves sitting over ponds, loves watching them swim. He wants a blonde bear this fall, so once we find out who drew what here in Co, it'll be my job to find him a good big blonde bear...
The big bear I kiled in 2010 actually stood up in front of me at 12 yards while we were tracking my bull I had hit the night before...A Wasp Jackhammer between his front legs put the 350# bear down in 30 yards...
Last fall, 2012, I actually had seven huge bear hitting one pond, and unknown to me, a guide was actually putting his clients in my treestand when we werent using it. They we turning my trail camera off when they were in the stand. We found a hunter in my stand one afternoon, and after a 20 minute confiration, in which my fed buddy got mad and pulled out his badge, we got the name of the guide and contacted my F&G buddy...I could of actaully pressed charges against the hunter we found in my stand!! Good thing I wasnt feeling like an ass that evening!
In NM, the damn things come running to cow calls!! That gets pretty hairy when they come charging in. Unit 15 has a lot of bear, some very big big bear. My big cinnamon bear I shot in 2007 was over 400#, and was shot at three steps as he come running up over a pond dam.
buglmin

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We put out bait 2 weeks ago,.. in the deep snow. A lot of the snow was goneon the main road.
Last week the snow had melted a lot,.. but 500 foot more elevation, you werent going anywhere.
From everything we could see the bears werent out yet
Lots of snow in the den sites.
Stayed home today. We will give it a shot next week-end
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

sounds cool, hopefully next year.
bnsafe

Postby Indian Summer » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have a good freind in New Brunswick Canada. Him and his dad started baiting a couple weeks ago. Winter held on aot longer up there and the activity has been slow but just now started picking up. Hoping to get one with the bow the first week of June. Good friends good times and good bear hunting. Not to mention the lobster and crab dinners. Killed a big tom this past Wednesday and the next thing on the itinerary is that bear hunt. Man I can't wait. Never killed a bear. Wish me luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

thats whats makes hunting fun, i wont lie, im jelous. i went on a bear hunt in mn a couple years ago and never saw a bear, but we had a blast all the same. cant wait to get up to canada sometime and try.
bnsafe

Postby chainsaw » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Been hunting but no luck yet. Two of my friends have killed theirs already but they were small. I'll keep at it, don't want to kill one too early any way! I am anxious though, gonna use a viper trick for the first time and I wanna see what it will do.
chainsaw

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Jones

Postby Indian Summer » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The Crazy Canuck called last night. Barrels were emptied and a pic of one big boar that we saw last year.
Indian Summer

Postby bnsafe » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

that doesnt help me indian, :mrgreen:
bnsafe

Postby otcWill » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Heck yea! Bears are thick where I hunt and otc with caps. A gut pile is virtually a slam dunk in quite a few places here in colorado. You should definitely get a tag if you hunt in a otc caps bear area!
otcWill

Postby elkmtngear » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

We are overrun with bears here. They love to attack my trail cams. I have had bears inside 5 feet on many occasions.

I passed on this one a couple years back...should have smacked him.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby bnsafe » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 13]

im gonna try to get a bear tag but hear they sell out within 20 minutes. so what is this gut pile you speak of and where do i get one of those :roll:
bnsafe

Postby otcWill » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 14]

They do sell out pretty quick but if you want one you'll make it happen! Closer to 45 minutes before my unit sells out. You'll just have to decide whether to get a tag for your deer spot or your elk spot as tags are unit specific.
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 15]

important tip. thanks otc. i will start doing some research on that.
bnsafe

Postby kjv1959 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Myself and one of my sons have drawn tags in Wisconsin for this coming fall. We are getting the bait together and will start baiting right after Memorial Day. Hopefully this work as I have some video's from last fall on photo bucket. In one my son is baiting and there are 2 different bears in the brush not far away and thats why he keeps looking around. In another there are multiple bears at the bait bickering over it.http://s930.photobucket.com/user/vman1959/library/?sort=3&page=1
kjv1959

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Vroman

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 17]

congrats on the tags, i hear they arnt easy to come by. good luck. my only bear hunt was in mn not to far from wi but we never saw a bear
bnsafe

Postby Indian Summer » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 18]

The reduced cost bear tags in Idaho's unit 17 are a really good diy hunt. You can buy two at about $37 each. For Montana the Noxon area can't be beat. Clipshot lives up there and could probably help you more than I can. Both are great places for spot and stalk hunting. Just be safe.... lol
Indian Summer

Postby bnsafe » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 19]

aw if i only lived closer to idaho, wonder if i could talk my wife into that
bnsafe

Postby dapper » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Good luck to those going bear hunting this year! It should be exciting!

I may try for a Colorado tag this year, I guess I'll have get my license earlier than expected since they sell out so fast. My son saw one last year while we were elk hunting. I actually hunted over bait in Colorado in 1977, when it was still legal.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby kjv1959 » 05 16, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Well sons and I have all the goodies all in line 3- 50 gallon drums , cookie dough, granola and wafer cookies. These are the 3 best baits we have found with cookie dough out distancing any thing by far. We have 4 baits that r started run until and through the season. When the acorns start to fall and they move from the baits we mi acorns in with the cookie dough and it keeps them hitting. Here are a few pics.
SUNP0006.jpg
SUNP0006.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 11447 times
kjv1959

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Vroman

Postby bnsafe » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 22]

now thats a cool pic
bnsafe

Postby kjv1959 » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 23]