Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

is there still places

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

is there still places

Postby bnsafe » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

in colorado that you can go and walk and not see houses, roads, civilization. not asking for spots or units, etc just wondering if there are areas that a guy can truly get secluded in colorado or if there are just to many people here. just curious, was thinking about the nat forests but there seem to be roads all over them.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: is there still places

Postby easeup » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

your state is full of wilderness. what are you getting at?
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

just wondering. i was watching caribou hunting and seemed like you could go on forever. seems like there are alot of roads even through national forest etc, trails, etc. was just wondering if a guy could just start walking and get away from houses roads people etc.we were in a pretty wild place last year but there were still houses roads etc around.
bnsafe

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I sure hope so. We are going into a National Forest, and as it appears on maps, we will be several miles away from the nearest road, and many miles away from any noticebale civiliazation, after a short hike. From what I have heard, we do run a chance at running into free ranging sheep herds, which means we could run into somebody, I guess. The guy I will be with has been twice, and he hasn't seen another person or camp anywhere in 7 days around the end of the 1st week of September either year. We'll be in a Wilderness Area though, so not having access other than horses limits some people from getting to far back in there. I hope, Lol.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby mtnmutt » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

As easeup stated, Wilderness areas are a gold mine for what you describe. They are absolute heaven here in Colorado.

You are going to see more people in CO woods from when it starts to warm up (after mud season) until mid-August when the schools start again. You will see weekend recreationalists again over Labor Day weekend and when the aspens change color around 3rd weekend of September.

If you truly want to see less recreationalists, less hunters and less roads; go to National Forest areas that are within 2 miles of a Wilderness Area or go into a Wilderness area.

In 2 of my areas, I noticed the Forest Service closed some roads in National Forest that are near Wilderness. These are marked on topo as ABAND. These ABAND roads make for a nice hike into secluded areas and you may want to try them for hunting. I use part of one in September for hunting.

Lastly, get away from the Front Range. Get at least 2 hrs away from the Front Range and don't go to places like Summit County, Steamboat Springs, Vail, etc unless you go into the Wilderness in those areas.

You don't have cabin fever do you? Another snowy day here along the Front Range on May 1st!
mtnmutt

Postby one_elk » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

There certainly are areas like you describe in CO both within Wilderness areas and outside of Wilderness areas…..and if remote areas what you are looking for make sure to support efforts to keep them that way….
one_elk

Postby bnsafe » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

cabin fever bad
bnsafe

Postby dotman » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

bnsafe wrote:in colorado that you can go and walk and not see houses, roads, civilization. not asking for spots or units, etc just wondering if there are areas that a guy can truly get secluded in colorado or if there are just to many people here. just curious, was thinking about the nat forests but there seem to be roads all over them.

You need to get away from the front range for a weekend bad! There are tons of places like this. Go down to Williams Resivor it is north west of pagoda, when you get to the resivor take fs631 (could be wrong just thinking off the top of my head). You will drive for 30 - 40 mins with plenty of spots to jump off the road but if you go all the way you will be at 10,200ft. Hike west and you will have not seen a house once you pass the ranch outside of Williams Resivor. Or go to Summitville Nd take the fs roads to leadville and platoro, good day drive.

The south part of the state is awesome. Now you will still see plenty of people but that happens, now this is just a family vacation and get away from front range suggestion, come hunting it is nothing but villages of 4 wheelers, campers and tents but on a non holiday/hunting time frame it would be a good get away from the front range.
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

yea, if it ever quits snowing im gonna start hiking, off the trails, if yall dont here from me for a week or two call the dow and have em send out a search and rescue. i should still be in colorado :shock:
bnsafe

Postby easeup » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

man....if you need wide open spaces....you can go to WY north and west of Cheyenne and not see a fence post in over a 100 miles.
you can go to TX down near the BigBend NP. you can drive 75 mph on a state highway for 3 hrs and never see another car.

there are even more places in TX where you can go hike, camp, 4wheel around for a week and never see another soul.
you just gotta get out of there
easeup

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Bnsafe: I can take you so far back in that they pipe the sunshine in and pipe the moonshine out. No houses there! LOL
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

well thats what im lookin for. now i just gotta get time to go find it. thanks guys. basically what i was getting at is this, im gonna go hike devils backbone today and or may drive up close to rocky mnt national park and hike a trail or two up there. but there will be tons of people there so i might as well take a walk in windsor. i like seeing places that the liberal hippies havnt seen.
bnsafe