Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

how would Elknut crew take care of squirrels?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

how would Elknut crew take care of squirrels?

Postby pointysticks » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

just curious. i'll post up the same question on a gardening forum for kicks and grins. :D

tree squirrels AND ground squirrels.

i have a great apricot tree and in 7 years, i have never eaten a fruit from my tree. my local tree squirrel population waits for the fruit to ripen and they beat me to it. ground squirrels in my yard will rival a mature whitetail in wariness. i cant get one to sit still. the ground squirrels are watching my tomatoes..i can feel it. hahaha.

i have arrowed a few tree squirrels, but it isnt entirely safe with me living in a city. (one squirrel dragged my entire arrow under the fence and died on my neighbors porch..i sneaked over there, and grabbed it)

i just set a trap with a tasty walnut to get the ground squirrel.

what? tree nets.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: how would Elknut crew take care of squirrels?

Postby Mikeha33 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Gamo air rifle. They are quiet, very accurate, and deadly on squirrels, rabbits, crows, or anything that may be terrorizing you. My father in law has 4 large pecan trees than he gathers all the nuts off of, and in the last year or so, he has killed over 50 squirrels. In town.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Funny you should ask. We were out this morning blasting ground squirrels. I had the 17 HMR and my partner had his heavy barrel .22. It wasn't a very good day. Windy and cloudy. But we did manage to get 20 or so in an hour of shooting.

For tree squirrels a .22 or 410 are great ways to get them. The red squirrels make for a good meal.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

He's in the city guys, blasting em may not be the best t way to go :D Here's an option. Conibear 110 for squirrels/ground squirrels should do the trick.
4%20%20110%20S%20DUKES%202%2025%204.jpg
4%20%20110%20S%20DUKES%202%2025%204.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Tube traps , large foothold traps, sticky boards, rat traps all can work under the proper conditions.

Eliminate some habitat, make sure you dont have a den tree, trim all your trees, place barriers on some of their travel ways like electrical wires from the pole to the house or house to the shop
Or the ultimate, get a jack russel terrier
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Don't think you are going to catch much in that Conibear RJ unless you figure out how to get that spring back where it belongs.
>>>---WW---->

Postby bnsafe » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

poison, but you will prob kill every animal in town
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby easeup » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I had a population of them on our place that raided the bird feeders as they owned them.
I never delcared war but always fussed about them.
then for other reasons I put out some rat poison in the well house so those vermin wouldnot tear up the insulation.

then about 3 weeks later,..... we have not seen a squirrel for months now.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Don't think you are going to catch much in that Conibear RJ unless you figure out how to get that spring back where it belongs.

Thanks Bill... I just choked on my easy drinking barley pop :D Didn't even notice as I pulled the picture from the internet somewhere. Yep, the spring is on the wrong side.. won't do much good there.. Time to compress it and move it to either side of the trap... Eagle Eye WW... ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ