Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

give me your opinion

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

give me your opinion

Postby bnsafe » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok guys heres the scenario, i will be 42 next mos, been elk huntin once, just moved to colorado, been a rn for 19 years mainly in a hosp. my job now is working me almost 47 hours a week. i cant get out an do anything, by the time i get off and force myself to work out im shot. but i get paid fairly well. problem is i have no time for hunting an not enuf vac time to do family stuff an hunt. so ive found another job that pays about the same but its only 32-36 hours a week so i wont make as much an no benefits (my wife has then so not a huge deal). should i try to make as much as i can an have more money to play on but alot less time, or take the job i feel like i can have a life in. im leaning on saying when i die i wont take the money with me and i dont wanna miss my life working. but i feel like im lettin my family down if i dont make as much as possible and dont wanna feel like im living off my wife. what do yall do.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: give me your opinion

Postby pointysticks » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

a nurse told me she has never met a person on the death bed and heard them say.."man, i wish i worked more.."

she was of course trying to get out of working more. :)

tough call. i opted for less pay, less stress. i can hunt anytime i want, but i cant afford it :) :(

on a side note, my wife is finished with nursing school this december. she promised me her first two paychecks..hahahhahah...rhymes with "moose hunting"!!! ( i wont :()
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Good question. This is one you need to work out with your wife. I would opt for a little more time off, but I already have everything I need to go hunting. I have my home and autos paid for too. Maybe you can bring your wife along at least on some scouting/camping trips.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You're saying you will make nearly the same income, and your Wife will cover your benefits???

Sounds like a no brainer for me, if you can budget it.

About four Years back, I left a four day a week travelling positon, and took a job with 4 10 hour days here locally. I lost around 30 grand a year making that move, but I can honestly say it was one of the best moves I ever made. I get to spend much more time with my family, and staying in shape. I also get to hunt more ;)

My Wife is an RN as well, she works two 12 hour shifts per week, and covers our benefits. She's happy, I'm happy, it all works out.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

give me your opinion

Postby Solitude » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I am in a very similar spot as you, same age, solid pay, great future.....but overworked, missing out some on life and not enjoying my job because of it.

My advise is talk with your wife and what your goals are in life. At some point you need to enjoy life and all it has to offer. You need enough money to live and hopefully retire someday (unless you really love your job) but I have seen many guys try to do things in their 60's and 70's they should have taken on way earlier in life. They get it done, but.....

Regarding family an being a father, I ultimately want my kids well rounded, educated, self-sufficient and happy. ( I do not believe an extra 20% pay has much to do with it unless you simply can nit make ends meet.) As a son, I would hope parents would want the same for us.

It's been said many times before in different ways, but I have never talked with someone who said "I am sure glad I worked my ass off and sacrificed all those years and made all this money."

Make sure you are in the same page as your wife and make a change. Life is way too short!
Solitude

Postby otcWill » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Work as little as possible and play as much as possible! You ain't gotta be rich to have achieve your bowhunting dreams
otcWill

Postby easeup » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

From an older guy that has seen the children grow up and leave the nest....

there is always a perceived need and more money desired to make their life better. that will never change no matter how much you bring home.
And it matters not what they are given in the way of a head start that is anywhere near what a christian Dad at home is worth.

you know the phrase, ...take your son hunting now and you wont have to hunt for him later......

on the other hand, there is many a father who wished he could get his job down to 47 hrs a week. good luck with these choices.
easeup

Postby buglmin » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I left a job that required me to be away from home five days a week. We traveled a lot, lived in motel rooms, worked 60 plus hours a week, and I spent most of the weekend resting and getting ready to leave early early on monday mornings. After over 11 years of doing this, I said enough is enough, and quit. Since then, Ive got a decent job, home every night, lost only a lil less money then Im making now, and not putting over 30,000 miles on my personal truck a year.
There comes a time when a person realizes that money isnt everything, and money dont buy happiness. You have to decide which is more important to you. Time lost not spents with kids, wifes, and family can never be replaced. And believe me, your family would rather have the time with you then the extra money. Thats the problem in todays world, we get so wrapped up in making money we forget to put God and family first. And believe me, when I went through my divorce, my ex wife had everything wrote down on how long I was away from my kids, and it hurt realizing how much of my kids lifes I actually missed out on...
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

thanks guys, the wife is supportive no matter what i do, and we can make the bills work. the thing is ive been offered another job but no guaranteed hours. im sure i can work 32 or more and get paid the same amt hour wise as i do here, but will be less at the end of the year. i just dont wanna miss life. work is my wifes life, she loves it. i like you guys, i look at the mountains and yearn to be there and get sick of the never ending add ons of work. but i take my obligations of providing for my family seriously and even though my wife makes alot more than me i am still the one responsible for that. getting older isnt easy, lol.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I had a job interview this morning ( same employer).
It will be a head of the structural department.
I love my job now - construction PM - but topped out on pay.
If selected, I keep the same vacation (5weeks) same hours (40)
If not selected, I still love my job as $$$ isn't everything.

The last thing I mentioned in the interview was 'if status quo in the department is what you're looking for, I'm not your guy, as I will bring the department up to new levels and standards''.

Time will tell...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bartfrncs » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Well this is from a military guy 22 years US Army. I traded all my free time and two families for a career IT AINT WORTH IT. Tommorow is not a given you only get one time around the mulberry bush use it wisely. Regret is a bitch too many people loose sight of why they work if there were no cash involved I would bet most wouldn't be working in thier current job. The most important thing I learned from the army is IT Could be over in 30 seconds or drag on for twenty years. Be prepared for both.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I traded a State Conservation Officer job in Illinois for a part time job hauling gravel in Colorado. Thought we were going to starve for several years. I finally landed a good job and everything eventually came together. That was when I was young and dumb and willing to take a risk.

I love Colorado, but would I do it again if I had a chance? Hell no!!! I risk the well being of my family. But God helped us through it all and it did work out.

Sounds like you have a good job and you want to give it all up for a job that won't even guarantee you hours. Gotta be something wrong with that picture. And even though I did it myself, I would never encourage anyone else to do it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics