Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

did ya ever notice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

did ya ever notice

Postby bnsafe » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

that when folks talk about buying something on here its usually cabelas .......... its very rarely ever bass pro ..........? wonder if bass pro should take a look at it. im guessin not seeings as ive been to the springfield store many times and they must be doin ok.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: did ya ever notice

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I guess I never thought about it. I don't buy much anymore, but when I do I admit I am a lot more likely to go to Cabelas than Bass Pro. I certainly have no issue with Bass Pro. I just don't think about them much.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

im mainly thinking about cabelas guide model or alaskan whatever stuff. it seems to be quality stuff that serious hunters use, while bass pro is second rate crap. not for everything im sure so dont nobody send me a nasty message. ive got bp stuff myself and they are building a new one about a mile from my house so i will shop there. im just sayin cabelas stuff seems better made. and, there for awhile everytime i tried to order anything from bp it was always on backorder so i quit ordering anything online from them.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

One thing I see in Cabelas is that it is hard to find much that is made in the USA, not that BP is any different.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bartfrncs » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Bas pro must not be doing to bad they are building one in the Springs. The only gripe I have with Cabelas is they are building 2 in Denver Dont understand that move.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I think they are both nice places for the outdoorsman. The big BP in Spfld Mo. is totally awsome, as is the Cabelas in KC. I usually check them both out if I'm back in that area. But when I go to my local area Cabelas I just look around and walk out with nothing. I have $200 worth of gift cards in my pocket and who knows how many Cabelas points. And I still can't find anything I want. I'd buy some ammo or reloading supplies but no one has any of that!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Mikeha33 » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I think its all in the marketing. I am a die hard hunter, and an avid fiherman as well, while my father in law is a 110+ day a year fisherman who hunts maybe 5-10 days a year. I prefer Cabelas, it seems that they cater to hunters needs more than BPS. But if we go to Kansas City together, you better believe that we are hitting both stores so we are both happy. Cabelas in KC, with the giant bronze muley statues out front, just appeals to hunter like myself more, and is an amazing store, if you havent been, its worth a trip, but it just seems like they offer a better selection of quality gear for hunters than BPS does, and vice versa for fishing and BPS.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

did ya ever notice

Postby Huntography » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I've been a Cabela's customer since the early 90's. Their gear had ways seemed of higher quality to me than Bass Pro.

Heck, I bought much of my Cabela's gear from the Hamburg PA store the day it opened. I remember walking in and feeling like I was in a hunters Disneyland.

I must have spent 5 plus hours in there that day.

I can't wait for the new store north of Denver to open this summer. Probably will just be browsing since I'm pretty set gear wise and have chosen to support local shops when I can but just being there will be a great experience.

It's the customer experience plus the quality that I think create loyal customers.

+1 for Cabela's

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby planebow » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have bought some stuff from BPS but mainly shop Cabelas. They are breaking ground here in Kalispell for a Cabelas Outpost now. Will be glad when its done.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby JGH » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I gotta say ... I buy mostly on the internet anymore ... shopping around for the best quality, or best price (hopefully both) ... and I have a Cabelas Visa that gets me $5 shipping, so they are in my file of "Outdoors Retailers" in my "favorites".

That said, there are lots of good internet retailers, and some direct-to-consumer models, that really rock.

I'm less prone to the hype of a great big store with lots of taxidermy than I used to be. Oh, it's nice to stop in and wander around -- but with fuel the way it is, paying shipping (and many have free shipping) is much better than paying for diesel fuel.

I remember Cabelas when it was a small building in "downtown" Sidney, NE ... now, it's an amusement park. But they do have good stuff ... and so does Bass Pro ...

But when Cabelas announced it was opening a store in Denver (the closest big city to me) I yawned. Why would I travel all that way to wander around a crowded store just to remind myself that I'm not in the mountains avoiding the crowds?

Build as many stores as you like, Cabela brothers, I'll buy from your internet site (and others.)
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby FemoralArchery » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I don't buy anything from there if I can help it. Too expensive.

I've been to the Hamburg, PA store, made a 6 hour drive to get there with my 2 month old on Thanksgiving day one year. Got a hotel room across the street and went in on Black Friday. Horrible choice for a weekend getaway.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby JGH » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Good Lord! Cabelas on Black Friday? With a 2 year-old?

Yep ... horrible choice. Life is lessons learned, though ... you'll be better for it.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby FemoralArchery » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I know.

I was in the Navy, it was the closest one to me and I had a 4day weekend. It was pretty crowded as you would imagine, but we came back at around 5 in the evening and it was almost empty. The worst part about the whole deal was D.C. traffic that weekend.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam