Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Barney's freighter backpack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Barney's freighter backpack

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Thanks to several of you guys for keeping an eye out for a used Barney's pack for me. A couple of you pointed me toward an ad in the Rokslide classifieds and I ended up getting that pack.

Wow! My first test of a serious meat packer is always the same: Adjust it to fit, sit on the couch and have my wife climb into the bag. At 135 lbs it's a great way to see how a load of dead elk will feel. The pack is everything the people with AK moose hunting experience told me and more. She hates it when I stand up and jump up and down a little to get the pack to settle onto my hips. But it was so dang comfortable I could resisit. I almost ran her head into the ceiling fan but otherwise it was a successful test. Can't wait to load it down for the real thing this fall.

If anyone is ever serious about a pack that can carry more weight than you could ever stand up with the Barney's is the golden ticket.... with a price to match though. I got mine for $520 to my door and that's as good as it gets. When the day comes that I finally make it to AK for moose I won't have to buy much in the way of gear. Nice to know right. As far as packing elk... it's almost overkill if you can believe that. Yep I'm a happier camper than I was a week ago. I'll be even happier to see fall roll around now.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Barney's freighter backpack

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I guess this one could be moved to the equipment forum. Sorry about that.
Indian Summer

Postby Z Barebow » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Just tell your wife it will help on your evening walks together. If she gets tired, she can hop on and you can carry her. If that isn't romantic, (well then again, I may not be the master of romance, just ask my wife!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Hey Joe: Did you ever think about letting the mules carry a little bit of the load? Looking at the pack you have in your picture, and now this new and improved one, I suspect you have the fattest, laziest critters to ever get tethered to a line. Do they get to carry in their own feed, or do you do that for them too? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

funny!!! my wife would never do that..

not after our team building experiment, bleeding brakes. her on the pedals..us yelling at each other..hahhaha..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby easeup » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

ROLOL!!
easeup

Postby ctdad » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The barneys frame is just under $300. I've considered buying one to use as a designated hauler. I could attach my Stone Glacier Terminus bag to it or some form of meat bag. I might end up with one. Thanks for the positive review.
ctdad

Postby Indian Summer » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Yeah Coonnecticut dad (lol) I thought about getting frame only. But then I figured if the frame was that nice I might as well have the bag that goes with it. Plus used I had no choice.

Swede you like that??? LOL That everything brother. Tent on top, sleeping bag on bottom... entire camp plus a weeks worth of food (minus 1 day) that wasn't needed. The third points fit right in around the tent and the skull stayed put on it's own (thank God!).

Definitely a knee buckling load! The biggest factor in making that pack out tough: Wyoming gumbo.... that stuff is like somebody covered the whole world 3 inches deep in grease if you can imagine that! 1 slow step at a time is the only way out.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer: Does that new freighter come with a handy pocket for Preparation H? Maybe two pockets? :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Joe: I've been staring at your picture ever since you joined the forum and I always wandered if that sleeping bag banged you in the bask of knees with every step you took. Also, was there anything left of the sleeping bag with that royal tine jabbing it on the trip out?

Either you are a short guy like me or you are packing way too much. I can certainly see why you got a new frame. Hope you like it.

Numbers 6: 24
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Joe: As you can see, WW and I have your best interests at heart here. With that in mind, here is some advise as I try hard to help out. ;)

I am sure you are familiar with the modern day packs that have a hydration bladder built in. Well; that has me thinking that you could design and construct a similar devise for that Preparation H you must need. That way on a long hard pack, you could inject the medication while on the trail, and never have to set your pack down. I think for the P.H. bladder part you could use a Hoochie Mama cow call. To the call part affix a long section of surgical tubing, which you would chip to your shorts. Now, whenever you get that burning, itching feeling you could just squeeze the Hoochie Mama and keep right on going.
Warning: You need to squeeze all of the air out of the Hoochie Mama before you chip on the applicator end, or you could be calling in elk before you get your pack unloaded. Also as a precaution, if you have a hydration bladder in your pack and load up in the dark, be very careful which end gets clipped in which place.

Love Swede :D
Swede

Postby ctdad » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

That's funny
ctdad

Postby Indian Summer » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Swede you're surely losin it! Sounds like you have personal problems unrelated to my formerly educational thread. :D

No WW the bag didn't move. Nothing friggin' moved! That evening I barely moved. The two bottom lash straps cranked down super tight keep the bag from swinging. Plus... when you're short like me you know better than to let something hang too low to where it would hit the backs of your legs with every step. Granted that is max low there! That's max everything dude!!! But very well balanced. I could actually walk with a trekking pole and let go of the rack. It was snugged in pretty well in front of the SIX MAN tent.

You guys think I used that photo for nothing? lol it's a Kodak moment for sure. if it had a sub title it would be "Maxed out in Wyo!" or maybe Swede would call it "Who's the jackass now?" lol

On the bright side Swede as you can see it was very convenient to rest my sore behind on the bag to have a cushion & stay up high when sitting avoiding the need to have my partner hoist me back on my feet after every break! The only time I've ever seen Preparation H in elk camp was when one guide hid the other guys chew and he retaliated by sucking PH into the guys toothpaste tube that evening before bed. I could write a "Camp Pranks" thread a mile long. I wonder what would happen if we replaced your Preparation H with something that burns? I'd like to see some GoPro video of you with a load of elk... pushing the pump on your Hoochie dispenser and squirt your butt with jalepeno juice. hee hee You'd either hit the dirt like you had bees in your shorts or... we'd have a new way to get elk quarters to the top of a hill really fast.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 14]

[quote="Indian Summer"] Swede you're surely losin it! Sounds like you have personal problems unrelated to my formerly educational thread.

Correction on that quote. I never had it. To the chagrin of my wife, I have always been this way. :lol: I guess I did sorta hijack the thread, didn't I? It is good to see I am not alone though and that you give as good as you take. In all fairness I only harass esteemed people, who hopefully don't get offended, and can't pitch garbage back equally well.
I think you should start that thread on camp pranks. I may remember a thing or two about some forest incidents that would keep it going. :D
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Offend me! Ha Ha yeah right. Good luck with that. I could start a thread where I challenge you and the boys to try. You'd have to pee in the wallow I was hunting for that to happen. My favorite flavor of humor is definitely sarcastic and with that comes a thick skin. Besides... if I wanted a serious gear thread I woulda put it in the equip forums instead of here where everyone's fair game right.

So what the heck was the boring subject before this thread finally became fun :?:
Indian Summer