Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Workout

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Workout

Postby ctdad » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For the last two years, the basis of my summer workout has been P90X with some running and biking added in. I've gotten very bored with those videos so I've decided to add a lot more variety this summer. I have a number of different workouts that I already do and I'll up the intensity and frequency during the summer. For the record, I do work out all year, it just increases in intensity during the last 4 months before my hunt.

Who has a great workout they'd like to share with me that I can add to my list? I'm going to put it together by the day and I'll share it if anyone is interested. I'm looking for anything; weights, biking, running, crossfit type workouts, backpacking with weight, and anything else you do.
ctdad

Re: Workout

Postby Sean D. » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Have u tried insanity? Its a buttkicker! I like p90x a little better though but for cardio u cant beat insanity
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby ctdad » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm tired of video workouts for a while.
ctdad

Postby sreekers » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby ctdad » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

sreekers - that's a very informative blog that covers some nice workouts in detail. I have a little A.D.D. when I'm on hunting forums and I did lose my attention span after trying to decifer all of your acronyms after a while. Probably has more to do with me than you. I can see how much effort your putting into both the workout and the blog.

My goal from this was to get individual, one day workout ideas. I don't expect anyone to outline an entire weeks worth of workouts. What is it that you have done that you enjoy that has helped you get in or stay in shape for elk hunting?

For example, one of my favorites is to incorporate air squats, calf raises, a couple ab exercises and wall sits. I do a few circuits of these workouts for about 30 minutes and then head outside for a short run (couple miles) or sometimes I do wind sprints instead up a hill.
ctdad

Postby JGH » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

The wife, son, and I are trying our first Spartan Race in a month (whoops -- looks like it is less than a month! Better get working!).

They have a "workout of the day" that they email me. I don't do it often (still stuck on P90x -- which I haven't really grown all that tired of, though I understand where you are coming from.) The Spartan Workout of the Day seems very balanced ... today's is just to run, hopefully to double-digit miles, even if you have to alternate walking and running a mile at a time. Other workouts involve burpees, pushups, carrying weighted packs, etc. Probably geared toward about a 1-hour workout daily with a slow day once or twice a week, which, IMO, is about right.

P90x, though, has been pretty good for me. I'm a creature of habit. If I have done something once, I can be trained to do it over and over -- so rolling out of bed at 4:46am and pushing "Play" on the DVD player works for me. Exercise becomes a bit of a ritual, like letting the dogs outside in the morning, having a couple eggs, and ... checking internet sites like this afterward!

The Spartan WOD would be great. It's geared a little more toward the young, skinny crowd who might be obsessive about their fitness, but it is "scalable" in the sense that it gives ranges of intensity and duration, like "run 3-5 miles", etc.

Whatever works, but after a little more than a year of near-daily workouts at 45 years old and 7300' of elevation, I feel great. I wouldn't want to NOT exercise at this point.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby ctdad » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Today's workout: 55 lbs in the pack - 30 minutes on elliptical and then 1.5 mile hike with the boys. The little one got tired so I carried him in front of me the last half mile. Thats a 90 lb load and I only weigh 155 so that was brutal. twenty minutes of abs when I got home.

How about this: Post your workouts as you go. Maybe we can motivate each other and share some good workouts.
ctdad

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I just started the 6th week of P90x workout along with doing some HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) cardio. I have to stick with the elliptical (40min) because it just dropped 18" of snow the other day so I wasnt able to run outside. Monday workout.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby JGH » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Just a little ahead of you, Brent ... I believe this is week 9 for me (third time around) ... I know, for some people P90x gets boring, and Tony is annoying ... but -- as I said above -- I'm a creature of habit.

And ... it works.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby 6.5City » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I get bored with doing workouts so I started competing again. Half Marathon last weekend in 1:38:23, olympic distance triathlon May 20 and IronMan Kansas on June 9th. I'm competitive so I want to train for a reason and try and beat the next guy. I'm not the best or fastest but it keeps me going. I never do any workout or set of workouts longer than 6 weeks anyways your body gets used to it and you need the change of pace.
6.5City

First Name: Michael

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Run 2 miles (starting out, you can jog, walk or run) I run whatever distance my Garmin 610 instructs me to via the internal training program for a half marathon

1. Crunches - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
2. Push-ups - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute (I use push-up bars for range of motion)
3. Plank - keep good form and hold for as long as you can
4. Body weight squats (Squat Challenge) - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
5. Chin-ups - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
6. Side Plank - Lie on your side, supporting your body with your forearm, then push up using your arm so that your hips raise off the ground. Hold for a minute on each side, while focusing on keeping your hips rigid
7. Fist Twists (or Medicine Ball) - sit with legs bent and feet raised. Then lift ball, keeping shins parallel to floor. Now twist to right and left, touching the ground with fists/ball.

I have swapped out the Burpee Challenge for the Squat Challenge in my rotation of workouts.

This is the workout that I will start in a week or so
Run - as stated above in prep for hunting, Spartan Super, Ragnar
T Push-upS
Kettle Bell Swings
Scissor Kick
Back Row
Dumbbell Side Lunge
Push-up + Row
Lunge & Twist
Shoulder Press
Decline Push-up
Mtn Climbers
Chin-ups
Superman Plank
Side Plank
Chair Dips
Weighted Body Squats

As the season draws near, I try to hike 2-3 times a week with a weighted pack of 70lbs for 8 miles. The toughest part for this time...
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall