Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's Your "Other" Sport(s)?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's Your "Other" Sport(s)?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Besides addicted to elk hunting and other outdoor sports (fishing, trapping, etc.), what are the other sports you have passion for? I know several on the forum that are hockey addicts... no names mentioned (Slim9300) :).... What do you guys like to watch or engage in between the elk season? I'm a pro football and baseball fan.. Used to be a pro basketball fan before the Sonics left Seattle..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What's Your "Other" Sport(s)?

Postby BobcatJerry » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Besides out-of-door sports, Football, Basketball, college mainly, is what I watch. Follow MLS soccer pretty much, and still play Thursday nights at 55. Play football and wrestled back in the day.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Swede » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I am an elk hunter! I heard who won the world series last fall and who won the super bowl, but for the life of me I can't remember. I could care less who wins the NCAA basketball championship or the NBA championship. I doubt anyone would ever guess by the amount of time I spend on this site, but I am an elk hunter! :D
I am very involved with my family and church, but that is not sport.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I am a huge fan of my kids' sports.
My daughter plays college softball [she is currently ranked 14th in the nation -NJCAA- with her batting average]
And my son is a pretty good golfer [HS Varsity] -just bought him a new set of PINGs - ouch :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Freebird134 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I never got into sports :( I was a fat kid that was uncoordinated and I grew up in southern Idaho--we didn't exactly have local teams to root for. I never even went to a university with a good team (you know your football team sucks when Harvard beats you every year). I used to be a die-hard bass fisherman, but I don't even do that any more (and I live on a lake!). We have become Packer's fans since moving to Wisconsin.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Freebird134 wrote:I never got into sports :( I was a fat kid that was uncoordinated and I grew up in southern Idaho--we didn't exactly have local teams to root for. I never even went to a university with a good team (you know your football team sucks when Harvard beats you every year). I used to be a die-hard bass fisherman, but I don't even do that any more (and I live on a lake!). We have become Packer's fans since moving to Wisconsin.

Oops.. I forgot to mention a music man as an option for an off elk season sport. For those that don't know, freebird134 beats the junk out of his lead electric guitar.. Pretty dang well too..
WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have to go with hockey being the #1 sport for me. Still get involved coaching. During college I didnt play but was able to be head jv caoch as well as an assistant Varisty coach. After graduating I got involved at the peewee level and continue to play some organized puck on sundays. Golf is also another one I enjoy but it takes up a lot of time and can be very frustrating haha.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Freebird134 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Haha...thanks for including me buddy!
Freebird134

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

cnelk wrote:I am a huge fan of my kids' sports.
My daughter plays college softball [she is currently ranked 14th in the nation -NJCAA- with her batting average]
And my son is a pretty good golfer [HS Varsity] -just bought him a new set of PINGs - ouch :)

14th in the nation.. Speechless.. How proud are you dad! Awesome to say the least. Pings... nice.. I just have a raggedy old set of Nikes :D You're a great pop cnelk..
WapitiTalk1

Postby 8upbowhunter » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I like college baseball/football.
8upbowhunter

Postby sreekers » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have played hockey most of my life and it keeps me busy in the winter.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I played hockey for 37 years until 2006 when I suffered a major on-ice concussion that left me laying at center ice for 5 minutes.
Scared the hell outta my kids and mom who were watching the game.

I do miss the game tho
cnelk

Postby pikemaster » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I would have to say boating and wakeboarding. We live on the water suring the summer doing as much wakeboarding and surfing behind the boat as possible.
pikemaster

First Name: Jarod

Postby bowpackerrob » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I am a track and field fan as I was former a all american in track in college. I have to brag on my kids though. I coach high school baseball and my son is a pitcher for Arkansas Tech University, and they were ranked 16th in Division II til they lost a series last weekend. My daughter is an avid barrel racer in the NBHA so I stay pretty busy following kids around outside of my hunting, get to see alot of other states though.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Harmy » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I am not much of a sports "watcher" but when I do the only thing I watch is the NBA (I don't have TV, occasionally we go to a Jazz game). I am much more of a participator. Currently, in order: Elk Hunting, getting in shape for elk hunting, thinking about elk hunting, and then the rest: Mtn Biking, Road Biking, Backcountry Skiing (tele), Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, MMA (dabble in Aikido, Muay Tai, Tae Kwan Do-this more to support my kids-or so I can be their punching bag...).
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Indian Summer » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I could go on about all the other hunting I do. Whitetails mulies bears turkey rabbits etc. I try not to get too many irons in the fire because I approach everything with an all or nothing mentality and I'd run myself into the dirt if I didn't limit my activities.

I've been a die hard muskie fisherman for years. I founded the Three Rivers chaper of Muskies Inc in Pa. But these days I just do 1 main muskie trip to Lake St Clair trip and get about 150 of them in a week and call it good other than a few club tourneys. I'll stock up on some Erie walleyes at some point before summer is over. That's it for fishing. I'm glad to say I just sold my last boat just last weekend.

I can't ride my motorcycle enough. I'm about to pick up another one. I love it and it's just a great way to relax and think. This August I'll ride the steel horse to Wyoming straight from Sturgis and get some gear packed in cut some wood and do a little scouting near my X. ;) Can't wait.

Never cared about sports. Anybody in the Burgh will cut loose for a Steelers game and I do but I'm no football fanatic.... unless we're winning the Super Bowl AGAIN. hee hee I do like the Packers because they are owned by the fans instead of some rich dude. Gotta love that right.

But I NEVER miss a Penguin's game. If you're a hockey fan everything else is boring. Once in awhile you might see me right behind the glass just to the left of the Pen's net. Anybody who can't get into hockey just hasn't watched it and had someone who knows the rules explain it to them. What a hoot!

I used to ski alot but now try to save my knees for more important things. Anyone care to guess what that is? LOLOLOL

Gotta run.... Pgh Pens vs Buffalo Sabres in 5 minutes. Go Pens! We're on a roll....
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby sreekers » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Watching pro hockey live is great. Avs are my team, hope they tank this year and draft Seth Jones.

Once the rules are known the speed makes it great!
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

$h1t Buffalo ended our streak. me and my big mouth. :(
Indian Summer

Postby JGH » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Endurance horse racing here. Wife and son are more into it than I am, but it pretty-much accounts for our shared activities and friends. I've done a few 50s and quite a few 25-milers.

Races/rides are 25 or 50 miles, though Wife and Son are going to do the Bighorn-100 this year ... 100 miles horseback in 1 day with 36,000 feet of elevation change. I'm crew for them ... and head of the fan club. I take care of the hoof-care, too, which adds some core workouts through the summer.

The good news is that the horses will be in great shape by September.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby LckyTylr » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I like anything with two wheels!

I just bought a new dirtbike ('13 KTM 300 XC), I have a KTM 690 Super Moto, I like to mountain bike in the foothills and I even road bike once in a while. I used to race sport bikes at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah, I really miss that.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Z Barebow » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Running.

Picked it up in 2007. Before that, I would "run" to the grocery store or"run" out of beer, but never actually run. (I am now 47 years young and in best shape of my life). Nothing worth doing is ever easy and I love the challenge of endurance running.

I have completed numerous shorter race disatances and I am currently training for my eighth marathon in May. I have completed 3 50K's also. I have run Grandmas marathon and Boston. I am looking to tackle a 50 miler this year, hopefully late summer.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I started in wrestling in Jr.High. I was on the HS varsity team,.. but,.. I thought the coach didnt like me . I was at 102 And he had me wrestling gus at 156, , ten years later he tells me he put me in postions to prevent pins because I couldnt be pinned
Played Hockey the next few years
I trapped and trapped some more , the rest of the time I fished and canoed and worked ;waterskied good enough to be on a college team/club
At 27 I was offered a full ride for long distance running at the local college when I smoked the mile runner by a 1/2 lap on a 12 minute run. At that time was doing a bit of competitive canoes and back packing, bear packs and voyeger runs with 210 lbs on our back.
And a few times was on a tug of War team,.. all of us were under 180lbs,I was the only non-commercial fishemen.. We put the holy scare on competivie club team where their lightest guy was over250/b,
I was a hardcore hiker (try that in southern Minnesota) mostly hiking fozen lakes and rivers until I was 30
Had a couple snowmachines when I was 18-20
I coached my girls soccer and ponytail softball
Spent lots of time in a fishouse sometimes with my dad, friends playing cards or studing
My daughters played tennis and swam, 4-H shooting, dog trainng, horeses ,the one daughter rodeoed,. we didnt have the money to keep that up :cry:

Now a bit of snow sking, hiking, trapping ,Snowmachinng, lots of ATV'ing, hardcore goose hunting, spring bear with my daughters

="Swede"]I am an elk hunter! I heard who won the world series last fall and who won the super bowl, but for the life of me I can't remember. I could care less who wins the NCAA basketball championship or the NBA championship. I doubt anyone would ever guess by the amount of time I spend on this site, but I am an elk hunter! :D
I am very involved with my family and church, but that is not sport.[/

Pretty much the same here
Is being a scoutmaster a sport 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Lefty wrote:I started in wrestling in Jr.High. I was on the HS varsity team,.. but,.. I thought the coach didnt like me . I was at 102 And he had me wrestling gus at 156, , ten years later he tells me he put me in postions to prevent pins because I couldnt be pinned
Played Hockey the next few years
I trapped and trapped some more , the rest of the time I fished and canoed and worked ;waterskied good enough to be on a college team/club
At 27 I was offered a full ride for long distance running at the local college when I smoked the mile runner by a 1/2 lap on a 12 minute run. At that time was doing a bit of competitive canoes and back packing, bear packs and voyeger runs with 210 lbs on our back.
And a few times was on a tug of War team,.. all of us were under 180lbs,I was the only non-commercial fishemen.. We put the holy scare on competivie club team where their lightest guy was over250/b,
I was a hardcore hiker (try that in southern Minnesota) mostly hiking fozen lakes and rivers until I was 30
Had a couple snowmachines when I was 18-20
I coached my girls soccer and ponytail softball
Spent lots of time in a fishouse sometimes with my dad, friends playing cards or studing
My daughters played tennis and swam, 4-H shooting, dog trainng, horeses ,the one daughter rodeoed,. we didnt have the money to keep that up :cry:

Now a bit of snow sking, hiking, trapping ,Snowmachinng, lots of ATV'ing, hardcore goose hunting, spring bear with my daughters

All I have to say is "nicely done Lefty". Your girls are all the better in a large part from your efforts.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 24]

[quote="Phantom16All I have to say is "nicely done Lefty". Your girls are all the better in a large part from your efforts.[/quote]
I like being a dad,.. The youngest graduates this spring some a lot more free time for me
Maybe my proudest,..non of my three girls have any concerns walking in the dark ( I do when they have walked into a bear stand)and my oldest works the night shift )None of that girly "theres a mouse" screaming,.. just a dead mouse
The oldest could bait and cast a spinnig reel at 4 years better than most adults
All the boys were jealous in HS because of the geese they got into, They out shot tall ecept one boy in 4-H rifle , pellet pistol and bow I was a dad we did a lot of what I loved, we spent a lot of time in grade school in a boat or on a dike doing school work with duck or goose decoys in the water
we did a lot of what I liked and they liked
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Well, the lowly Mariners are gonna at least get a least 2 of 3 from Oakland for the opening series. Small miracle I suppose. I do have a new "in between" passion. Kind of a trade off in hobbies.. Sold my salty fishing boat a few months back to finish financing the resto on Big Red. She'll be back in my shop within two short weeks. It's my number three girl after Kim and Brittnai :).. Here's a few almost done pics. The .30 bored over 454 is ready to go and the 68 is sporting new colors.

Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 17968 times

Photo701.jpg
Photo701.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 17968 times

Photo705.jpg
Photo705.jpg (81.2 KiB) Viewed 17968 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Nice Phantom. I sold what will be my last boat I hope. Shopping for another Harley this week. I said to myself and I'm sure you'll agree: Better to have a hobby that holds it's resale value. In the meantime... obey the speed limit right. lol
Indian Summer

Postby cnelk » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 27]

As the old saying goes about boats...

The 2 best days of owning a boat are when you buy one and when you sell one.... :)
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Other sport?????????? For me, if it's not elk hunting, it is elk dreaming.
>>>---WW---->

Postby pointysticks » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 29]

i love going on long back country mountain bike rides. LOVE the downhills, LIKE the uphills. when i am feeling weak, i pull out my road bike and go for a spin. riding a bike on dirt or roadway really allows me to think. clears my mind. i even daydream sometimes about thing. elk hunting, and the perfect broadside shoot on a boy elk looking for my fake cow elk is a popular mind-trip.

running. i run. less time to think. hard to think straight gasping for air and worrying about that twingy knee pain. but i am doing okay in this department.

sports cars. i love TRACK DAYS. taking a 30 year old car and keeping it in good mechanical health is a challenge. then taking it past turn one at Thunderhill raceway, full throttle, back tires hooked up at the edge..is just about the funnest thing ever.

oh, i just did my first airplane flight. did the takeoff, buzzed the Golden Gate Bridge, flew around the area..and LANDED IT!. it was awesome! not so sure i will get a pilot's license. i have too many things demanding our money before that.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Sean D. » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Bullriding! I was a professional bullrider for 13 years, finally hung up my rope at 33 because my shoulders were in such bad shape, i was sick and tired of travelling, and my wife and kids were tired of me never being home and when i was home i was usually to sore to do much! Now im 39 and still sore everyday but i get to watch my kids play their sports and even coach the baseball and football teams. I miss it everyday! When my oldest boy was little i wanted him to grow up and ride bulls but after seeing some of the things i seen and some of the things that happened to me im glad he he would rather just play football.
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby ferris bugler » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Cool stuff on here. Bullriders, classic cars, motorsports!!! Love it. I like doing just about anything outside. Dirt biking, mountain biking, horse pack trips, climbing mountains, backpacking, fly fishing. I work as an alpine ski racing coach so I ski and have ski boots on just about every day. I love playing hockey and soccer too.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 32]

cnelk wrote:As the old saying goes about boats...

The 2 best days of owning a boat are when you buy one and when you sell one.... :)

Never understood that until I bought my 16' and then, sold her a few months ago.. I do now ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 33]

I rode bulls in high school and College as well as the Pro-Am stuff. I really enjoyed it but after college it was time to grow up and I wasn't good enough to pay all my bills. I wrestled in high school and loved it. I'm in the Army so what I like to do depends on where I live. When I was stationed in Alabama I loved to wakeboard. Now that I'm in Northern New York I have gotten back into snowboarding. I have also got back into back packing although it doesn't really compare to back west.

My constant now matter where I live outdoor activities are 3D archery, running (actually I dislike running but I'm in the Army so :) ) and flying. Flying is my favorite thing to do. I am blessed to be able to be in a career that is centered around my favorite thing to do. Flying.
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby LckyTylr » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 34]

This is an Awesome thread . . . we aren't just hunters . . . we are FUN!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Freebird134 » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 35]

I've never been a hockey fan before. Well, before last saturday. GO BULLDOGS!!! NCAA CHAMPIONS!
Freebird134

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Well, Big Red is almost there. New wheels/tires are on and the underside has been blasted and painted.... Cripes!!! It's "almost" as exciting as being close to the beginning of elk season..... almost. My body and paint guy (who is absolutely amazing) is replacing the under dash wiring harness on my request as it looks like it's been through the ringer for the past 40+ years and a final buff and I'm ready to stomp some fart pipe mazdas, hondas, and pretentious small blocks (if wifey isn't with me....). :D

IMG951961 (640x480).jpg
IMG951961 (640x480).jpg (213.92 KiB) Viewed 17841 times

IMG951962 (478x640) (411x550).jpg
IMG951962 (478x640) (411x550).jpg (186.3 KiB) Viewed 17841 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Freebird134 » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 37]

^^^That's bada$$! :)
Freebird134

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Hmmmmmm! you need to weld some cut outs on the exhaust!
>>>---WW---->

Postby elkmtngear » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Phantom, that is a beauty! 8-)

In my "spare" time:

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 40]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Hmmmmmm! you need to weld some cut outs on the exhaust!

Perhaps down the road. May be a hard sell to wifey for our weekend burger joint cruiser 8-) "Hon, I think I'm gonna uncap the headers for an additional XX horsepower for our trip to Egan's Burgers" :o .
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 41]

elkmtngear wrote:In my "spare" time

Can't seem to open the VID?
WapitiTalk1

Postby elkmtngear » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Phantom16 wrote:
elkmtngear wrote:In my "spare" time

Can't seem to open the VID?

That's weird, I am seeing the embedded video in my browser (in my post)

Here's the actual URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGTTkB6jcQA
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 43]

I have snowmobiled most of my life.
Love the smell of 2 cycle at 11,000ft

cnelk