Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

is it to early

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

is it to early

Postby bnsafe » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

to start dreaming of antelope hunting. if i can find a spot buck only season opens up august 15th. then elk a couple weeks later.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: is it to early

Postby cnelk » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Scott
Check out pg 1 of the regs.
There is some new areas opened up for archery antelope north of FC.

May be of interest to you
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

thanks cnelk, i been lookin at that. was gonna do a big drive tomorrow just to look around even though they are still on the winter range, but the inlaws comin out a day early so that got cancelled. hope your hand is well so you can get out there asap.
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I don't know if it is illegal to start thinking this early or not. I just seems to me to be cheating. Give the speed goats a break. After all, what have they ever done to you? First you start just thinking, then it is planning, then scouting, and finally you are out there with weapon in hand. Without a doubt this is classic predatory behavior? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

its all true swede, im a very sick man. if i could find some p dogs to take my fustration out on i would feel better, but no luck so far.
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

It is easy for me to point fingers at Antelope hunters. In Oregon I find it hard to get excited about them, as it takes 7-10 years to draw a good tag. I just do not have the ambition to stay excited that long.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

After several years lay off from hunting antelope. I will be playing their games again this fall (hopefully). I want to carry my recurve again, but its time to start putting quality animals on the ground again, so the lil Darton shooting Deep Impact shafts will be with me most of the time.
My best goat from the area we hunt is an 87" monster that I killed in 2006 with black powder, and this year a great friend will be joining me in antelope camp. Good luck in the hunt, have fun, and shoot straight. And carry a good rangefinder...lol
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

i will be archery only, hopefully out of a blind, but may try to spot and stalk, just for the experience. however, the first rattler i see will be my last day goat hunting
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I archery hunt also, drew my black powder tag in 06 to get rid of points. We spot and stalk where we hunt, too much water to sit in a blind. You learn to use saddles and ambush them as they leave the flats and head into the trees. Its a fun fun hunt, and snakes are all part of it. In 2005, they would lay against the tents...
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 10]

om gosh, just the thought of those things makes me wanna quit hunting
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We have a snake in unit 2 NM that just showed up some 15 years ago...they call it the green mohave...its a lil rattler the color of sage, kinda a lite, dusty green and tan. Its onlt been within the past 10 years that an anti vemon was discovered for them. And where we hunt is a 2 hour drive back to the hospital in Farmington, so we carry the direct number for flyte for life...lil rat bastards are flat out bad!!

We used to have snakes roll into pit blinds with us...Ive never seen guys jump and move so fast...lol
buglmin

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Scott, I just have to tell you a story about my last antelope hunt a couple of years ago. I had this old Doghouse portable blind set up on a good waterhole. The blind was old, the zipper on the door was broke, and it had several holes in it. So I had a bunch of camo netting inside to patch up all the holes every day.

I got to my blind just before daylite and crawled in. As I reached down to pick up the camo to patch up the opening on the doorway, I heard a buzz. I instantly jumped back and froze for a few minutes. Then I took my bow and touched the camo again. And again there was this buzz from underneath the fabric. I couldn't get out of the blind without going over the top of the material so I just sat there like a good little boy for close to a half hour. Finally, curiosity got the best of me and I poked at the material once again. No buzz this time! So I poked it again. Still no buzz! He must have crawled out of the bottom of the blind.

I figured he had crawled in there during the night to stay warm and as the morning sun came up he moved on out. But that isn't the end of the story. I suppose it was getting close to 11:00 AM and the sun was starting to bare down pretty good. I just happened to look down at my side and saw another snake starting to crawl in the blind with me. So help me, I almost crapped my britches right then and there. But luckily this time it was only a little water snake.

Yep, antelope hunting can get real exciting sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

that would and will be my last goat hunt to. i will shoot enough holes in the blind to climb out without us touching.
bnsafe

Postby MTLongdraw » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:I don't know if it is illegal to start thinking this early or not. I just seems to me to be cheating. Give the speed goats a break. After all, what have they ever done to you? First you start just thinking, then it is planning, then scouting, and finally you are out there with weapon in hand. Without a doubt this is classic predatory behavior? :D

Swede, its not illegal to dream about elk all year is it? :shock: We could all be in a world of hurt.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty