Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Coyote calling - elk style

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Coyote calling - elk style

Postby Moose Man » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After weeks of hardcore lurking, I thought I'd contribute with something..here we go:

To extend my hunting season/experience and to help the mule deer, I decided to take up chasing coyote. Did as much homework as possible, and whilst I could easily venture out into the desert/open country areas, I decided to try mountain/timber areas. Probably not the wisest decision in terms of harvest success but I find the desert extremely boring. I also love running around in the mountains and the coyote chasing was an easy add on. To aid my chances in the thick stuff, I picked up a shotgun and patterned it with some 4 buck. Google earth helped me find some areas of interest and I was off.

Rather than driving arounds, I’d hike out in the dark and move between stands on foot/snowshoes. Longest day I had was 12 miles, good way to get some altitude/training in..

Despite the effort, I didn’t see a thing aside from crows that would circle my call. This lack of success didn’t really surprise me as tracks/scat was sparese but found myself venturing into the woods weekend after weekend. I really enjoyed the solitude and combined it with game camera setups and breaking in gear. As a bonus, I got some decent bucks on camera in "new" areas. This last weekend was the first 4.30am wakeup call where I really considered staying in bed. But the wind forecast was promising and I had a particular area in mind. It was also milder which would be a nice change.

After hiking in, I found my first spot and set up next to a big pine, shortly after legal shooting time, I fired up the call (yes, I howl/locate with a diaphragm but for distress, I use an e-call..). After 3 minutes I saw movement in the timber to my right, looked small so I suspected it was a fox. I was excited, and even though I don’t have a desire to shoot a small fox, at least I’d called in something on four legs. Less than a minute later he reappeared behind some trees and I saw it was a coyote. He was moving slowly but he went in and out of the brush, after I thought I lost him to the swirling wind, he appears in the open at a tree I’d ranged at 40 yards. And he has me pinned. He’s standing still, I’m sitting still, and we're both staring at each other. Problem was, I had the shotgun in my lap. I’d be surprised if he didnt hear my heartbeats.. We had a standoff that felt like an eternity, I barely dared to blink. Eventually he took a couple of steps towards me/call. There was one tiny brush between us and I hoped he’d go around it, and he did. This gave me a second to lift the gun, aim and down he went.

Even though my shotgun/choke/load patterned good at much longer distances, I circled and gave him another shot.

Excited I noticed he was bigger than expected, male with a decent coat. Took a while to skin him but now I have a fur in the freezer!

And thinking back at all of this, I realize how much of this seems similar to what I’ve seen/read about archery elk, calling, working the wind, close encounters, draw “timing” and I guess persistence.. Today I got some new boots in the mail, cant wait to head out, break them in and "practice" some more!

yotesmall.jpg
yotesmall.jpg (167.13 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Re: Coyote calling - elk style

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Great story. I like your little dog. Keep calling there are plenty more coyotes where that one came from.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

now how 'bout that!

great story and experience for you. there are plenty more out there to go chase too.
easeup

Postby LckyTylr » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I don't think I have EVER seen a better first post . . . good story, pictures . . . and a successful hunt.

Well done!

Welcome and nice dog.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson