Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

pellet stoves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

pellet stoves

Postby ST52V » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My father in law is thinking about buying a pellet stove to put in his basement. If anyone can tell me what to look for or avoid it would be appreciated. Thanks Robin
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Re: pellet stoves

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

It's been a few years since I've owned one, they can be very nice as a backup heat or fulltime heater. I don't recall the brand we had but I did notice on the second year of use the fan that pushes the heat out started to get extremely noisy, it was very annoying to the point we got rid of it. It was a 2500.00 unit at the time. It was a unit that heated our entire home so it was in our living room area where noise was heard easily. Since yours is in the basement it may not have the same annoying sound if your main time spent is upstairs if fan gets sloppy. Pellet stoves are ok but they're not like wood heat.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My house had been wired for electric heat systems.
The previous owner had a very nice pellet stove and wood stove.
Wood can be nice for cranking out the heat, but there was no nice way to bring wood into the house and kep the house clean.
We used the pellet stove for 2 years, .Since I wanted AC in my home I had gas brought to the house. Its cheaper and a whole lot more convinient than pellets in my situation

My best advise, Find the best pellets at the best prices and by them by the pallet ( hopefully not the truck load) Some pellets have too much moisture. some the wood quality is low
I ended buy ing hardwood pellets that had more heat input and were brought from back east
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have a QuadraFire pellet stove. We heat the whole house with it. This winter I got by with about 2 1/2 - 3 tons of pellets. But they are expensive. I think the new Quadra Fires are over $3000. It takes a long time to get a pay back in heat cost at that price. The good thing is, the cost of the flu is way/WAY cheaper that whan the pipe for a wood burner cost.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics