Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boycott Colorado?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Boycott Colorado?

Postby ironhead22 » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm not really sure where this belongs so i'll start it here. I saw an interesting topic on facebook today that has me thinking. With all of the antigun talk going on in Colorado and manufacturers pulling out of the state, should we as hunters and fishermen pull our money out also? If we do are we "hurting" the right people? I understand the logic behind the thought but personally feel it "hurts" the wrong group. As a non-resident im not sure what else i could do though.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Re: Boycott Colorado?

Postby Blue Falcon » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Woohoo no pressure this year. Why hurt the hunting community because the the Liberals won a battle?
Blue Falcon

First Name: Robert

Postby LckyTylr » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It's a fence-sitter's proposition . . . to boycott an industry in a state that we all love (the industry, not the state). I'm not saying that we all love guided hunts, but the sporting goods stores. As Non-residents, the only thing we will likely boycott are the guides and the Colorado Parks & Wildlife. The guides will likely notice a lull in business this coming season, but I think it will be short lived.

I don't know, I'd love to say let's do it, let's boycott anything in Colorado that requires a trigger finger, but it's only going to hurt our own, but I don't think it's going to help our cause at all. I really wish there was something else we could do to show our discontent for the laws they have passed.

Any ideas?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Boycotting is not the correct approach IMO.

A Non Res [or Res] interested in contributing to any 'cause' should keep info informed about pending lawsuits and help financially there if so inclined.

Boycotting will hurt the management funding and and that isnt where it needs to be hurt.
Since the once flush DOW merged with the over-extended Parks, now all monies are being distributed to cover a much larger organization.

Hamstringing the CPW even more isnt the right thing to do....

But if you believe that is what need to be done, no one will stop you.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I don't get it. :o From what I have read and heard I don't see where the gun restrictions passed into law in Coloado will do much real good or harm. I would hope, but I doubt the new law could stop another Columbine or Aurora,and would not have stopped the murder of the head of the State's prisons. On the other hand I don't see where it adversely impacts anyone much either.
Now if a good boycott would cause Colorado to significantly lower their out of State hunting fees, I might have to think about coming down. It doesn't sound like the new law would impact my gun use or bow hunting at all. Just my out of State perspective. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede,

It would be great for you to come to Colorado to rifle hunt!

But....
If your rifle malfunctioned and you needed one to finish your hunt, not me or anyone could legally lend you one.
Without a background check.

If you needed a rifle to finish out a hunt, here's the chain of events....

I get asked ...

"Did you give this gun to Swede for his birthday?"

"Yes"

"Did you get, and do you have the proof of background check?"

"No, it was mine when we drove to Laramie with it in the back seat. We stopped and filled up with cheap gas and a beer at a bar. I said "Happy Birthday". It was then his on the way back to elk camp in Colorado".
cnelk

Postby JGH » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Glad we could help ... (LOL) ... (I'm from Laramie.)
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

This is an honest question. What is the problem with a background check if you are not insane or a criminal? I understand they take just a few minutes. I was still able to pass the last time I purchased a gun. I talked with the salesman only a few minutes when an assistant came out and said I was ok to take the gun. I have bought cars and guns over the years, and my experience is that it is a lot more difficult to go through DMV than to get a background check.
The bottom line for me is that I am willing to accept an inconvenience to save some kid's life or some old hunter for that matter. I am probably sappy, but it genuinely breaks my heart when I think of those 20 dead first graders in Newtown. I am ready to accept some "inconvenience" to save even a few people. I don't have the answers, but I see the problem.
Swede

Postby cnelk » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

You are correct Swede.
Many people feel the same as you.
Colorado has always had background checks, now they are just more stringent, but not in the right way.

Personally, I hope the medical field would contribute more to identify potential problems as legally possessed weapons [with background checks] have participated in many of the recent tragedies.

Background checks as we know them do not address or identify people who are not 'balanced' in their mind.

NOTE:
I would caution that this thread is flirting with being political, and its probably best to stick to our tips, techniques and discussions surrounding elk and elk hunting....

Where did I leave that last tree stand.....???
cnelk

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Cnelk: Amen friend. I don't mind an honest, civil discussion. Know for certain I appreciate your wisdom, experience, and values.
Swede

Postby bnsafe » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

the background checks are wrong. im pretty sure if we listed all the laws broke before the shootings there would be enuf already. last time i checked the bad guys didnt get background checks. its all sounds good, but it infringes upon my rights as a law abiding citizen, and we are the only ones. you think a criminal is gonna tell his buddy boy id sure like to rob the store but i cant borrow your pistol without a background check. really. something seriously wrong in a state where i can buy pot but cant buy a magazine for my ar. how many pistols and ar are gonna sale in this state. none, most come with hi cap mags. what really bothers me the most is, the people i work with that have lived in colorado their whole life seem to just sit and take it. that wouldnt happen in mo. im not running folks from co down, just saying the ones i know are either uninformed or just dont care or seem to be fine with the gov taking their rights away. its sad.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby dotman » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Personally I think a boycott of the ones that can help CO get back on track is misplaced. I don't see how a boycott will benefit anyone but the Libs. If all the republicans have to move out of CO how will these Libs ever be voted out, now is not the time to punish the hunting and shooting community. If anything we all should be going to CO in protest of these illegal laws, lists of pro 2nd amendment CO companies should be made and we should only support these companies.

You want anything to change stop supporting the companies that support the Liberal government.
dotman

Postby Indian Summer » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I sure the heck don't want to talk politics here or anywhere for that matter. I think we should fire them all and start over.

But... Boycotting is not the best approach. It has a ripple effect and can do harm to people and businesses who are on your side. There is no way it will help the people achieve their goal.

Boycotting Fish & Game would have an affect but I can guarantee there would not be enough people, especially at this late point in 2013, to unite in a boycott to even be noticed. Besides... boycotting is a negative approach. A positive one is to use the system that's in place. The government gives us tools to communicate.

I have a very good friend who is a Montana Senator. His battles are never easy. The one tool that helps him way better than any other is public comments. He loves mine because I know how to "talk the talk". If a person really wants the government to hear them just make sure you submit a comment. I submitted one concerning predator hunting in Montana yesterday. They'll know what you think for sure whereas they'll never realize that you hunted elk in Idaho or wherever this year. Boycotting is saying we want to buck the system. It's much easier, usually, to use the system instead.

It's not hard to imagine that there are senators and representatives that agree with us. Their hands are tied though unless we arm them. It's the best thing a person can do. Make sense?

Now back to your regular programming. Getting warm out eh. Pretty soon we can talk about scouting and what we are actually seeing. Have a nice day.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ironhead22 » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I understand the desire to keep elknuts a non political/ non confrontational place and for the most part agree, but there are issues around that affect all of us and what better place to talk about them. Im not trying to ruffle feathers or start a fight this was a topic that cought my attention and got me thinking. I value everyone's opinion here and was interested in getting others thoughts on it. I apologize if it started something unwanted.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Swede » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Ironhead22, I believe this thread as you started it is fine. It was not overtly political, but it does broach the idea of we, versus them, which can get political in a hurry. Therefore it is up to the individuals who post here to keep the discussion civil and constructive. I see the thread as starting out on solid ground. Cnelk and Indian Summer among others have maintained a high level of civility while expressing their opinions on the subject. I believe we are out of bounds promoting Republicians and railing against liberals. I say that in that way as I see little danger of the reverse on a hunting forum. Most of us are not pure liberal or complete conservative, but decide on the individual issue. The benefit of a good conversation is that it can help us understand not only the issue and the merits of given proposals, and laws, but what is acceptable for reasonable people. People actually demonstrate their best character when they can maintain their decorum without denigrating the other person's character.
Swede

Postby one_elk » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 16]

cnelk wrote:Boycotting is not the correct approach IMO.

A Non Res [or Res] interested in contributing to any 'cause' should keep info informed about pending lawsuits and help financially there if so inclined.

Boycotting will hurt the management funding and and that isnt where it needs to be hurt.
Since the once flush DOW merged with the over-extended Parks, now all monies are being distributed to cover a much larger organization.

Hamstringing the CPW even more isnt the right thing to do....

But if you believe that is what need to be done, no one will stop you.

Well said cnelk, but the problem in general here is there are tons of places on the web to cus and discuss the politics of this or that and until this point one of the best things about the Elknut site is that the conversations have focused sharing information about elk hunting and have pretty much been free of political opinions and I for one wish that we could continue in that fashion….
one_elk

Postby GetemDuck » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I keep looking to moving across the border to enjoy those lower price tags, but will say this new laws suck. I know alot of guys on the front range that are competitive shooters in both 3-gun and uspsa and this new ban stomps on their constitutional rights......just because this ban doesn't effect you personally doesn't mean it is ok.

As for boycotting, no it's not the answer. The game and fish needs X amount of dollars to operate, if they do not get that through tags then fee's wont go down, they must go up to offset the cost.....Tag prices will never drop I've never seen it happen unless herds explode and over populate themselves which is not likely.

I'm still looking at moving across the border to CO. with hopes that my vote will help change things come election day! Maybe if enough good guys move to CO, then we can push out the bad ones.....lol
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 18]

While at first I was mad now I know that come next election there arent going to be many that will admit to voting for these bills. The upside is not everyone in colorado is a liberal democrat.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby Indian Summer » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have no problem at all with the thread. If any forum can keep a subject like this under control it's this one. As a matter of fact we could probably actually make some progress on it and also lay it to rest in about 25% of the posts it would take to do that on other forums. And with no hard feelings in the end right.

Lately I've seen some pretty ugly bashings going on over at the routy bar. lol

carry on......
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro