Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Helping fellow Elnuts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Helping fellow Elnuts

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been think about this for several years now. Especially since my last plane ride when they charged me $40 for an extra bag. I can only guess what it would cost for all the extra elk hunting gear you would need to bring on a flight. So here is my idea for all you eastern and I suppose far west hunters that would rather fly to your hunting spot and maybe avoid those extra baggage fees. Not to mention those loss baggage claims that can take for ever to clear up and ruin your hunt.

Pick out an Elknuter that either lves close to the area you want to hunt or lives fairly close to your air destination. Then, box up all your gear and UPS or FedX it to them. The box would remain unopened unless you requested it to be opened for inspection just to be sure every thing is in tact.

After you pick up your rental vehicle at the airport, you could drive to the home where you shipped your gear and pick it up and be on your way to your happy hunting ground.

I'm not sure if shipping would be that much cheaper than extra baggage fees as I don't fly that often. But it might be worth checking into.

And besides, it would be good to meet up with another Elknuter. And who knows, you might even pick up a little extra information from them about where to hunt, weather conditions or what ever!

So do any of you think this might be a good idea or not? In the past I have seen several hunters ship their stuff back home to save a little money. This is where I got the idea.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Helping fellow Elnuts

Postby bnsafe » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

my cousin is shipping his stuff out to my house this year, then flyin in later. its not so much that is saves him money, but otherwise he would have to drive out which would take 2 days of his hunt time. its a great idea for guys who have a place to throw an extra box or two.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I believe you can send anything to yourself addressed to General Delivery [Town XXXX 12345]
The PO will hold it for you.

It would be best to contact the PO Postmaster prior to sending as they might get cautious with unexplained packages lying around.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Lefty » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If anyone wants to ship gear to my place Ill store it untill needed
SE Idaho, Pocatello
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I am about 45 minutes from the Portland International Airport. I would be willing to help, but in hunting season you would do well to call ahead to see if I am home. If you want to take frozen meat with you on the way back from your hunt, I could help get your dirty clothes luggage ready to be shipped with Fed Ex or UPS.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics