Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bowhunter Education Class

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby cnelk » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone taken this class?

Some states require this to be able to bowhunt, but they honor the course taken in your home state.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Bowhunter Education Class

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have taken the class here in Virginia, as Colorado and MT used to mandate this.

The course was insightful, but more useful for obtaining my out of state hunting license!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby ironhead22 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've taken it to hunt Colorado which it seams if your not 99 years old that you have to. It was interesting, some antiquated information but for most part was good to go through and had some fun helping the younger kid's with some bow set up thing's.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby cnelk » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys.
Im thinking about taking the online course and then the field day to be able bowhunt other states [Nebraska]
cnelk

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've been to 4 of them, once for myself when I was 12 & 3 of my kids, I took the test again with each of them. Piece of cake!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Been there, done that here in Oregon about 15 years ago.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Pmcgee » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Do you need a bow hunter education class or just a regular hunter education class to hunt colorado? The reason I'm asking is I plan to hunt there this year and I only have a PA hunter education card. Does it have to be bow hunter specific to hunt archery?
Pmcgee

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: McGeever

Postby Lefty » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I was able to opt out. I had a archery tag when in Mn in 83, hunted 2 days , guess it qualified me as expierienced :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Freebird134 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I've been through a few of them with friends. They are usually good info and it never hurts to be reminded of the rules and safety tips so not to become complacent.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby planebow » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have been teaching bow ed here in MT for the last 18 years. My course for this year is the middle of next mounth. Any first time bow hunter in MT must take the class unless you sign a waver that you have bow hunte before.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby cnelk » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Pmcgee wrote:Do you need a bow hunter education class or just a regular hunter education class to hunt colorado? The reason I'm asking is I plan to hunt there this year and I only have a PA hunter education card. Does it have to be bow hunter specific to hunt archery?

You only need the regular Hunter Ed for Colorado.
See page 2 of the Regs.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... iggame.pdf
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 12]

i took one a couple years ago so i could hunt nebraska, biggest joke ive ever done. the guy teaching it had bowhunted about 3 years and new nothing. the guys they brought in may have seen a bow once. total waste.
with that said i dont like mandating hunter ed either so take it with a grain of salt. when my daughter took hunter ed we spent 2 8 hour days covering how to hunt different things. those poor kids had lost focus and when it came to the very short HUNTER SAFETY part of the class you might as well talked to the wall. kids have a short focus, dont waste it teaching them how to hunt, spend it on safety.
sorry for the thread jack, i didnt mean to.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Pmcgee » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thanks cnelk.
Pmcgee

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: McGeever

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I took it right there in your home town, Ft. Collins at the outdoor archery range. Dennis Hanson was one of the instructors. Not sure if he does it anymore. But it was a great class and everyone enjoyed it. Not sure but I think you need it if you ever bowhunt Nebraska.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ctdad » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Not sure which part of the state you plan to hunt but i can tell you that ehd wiped out the whitetail in some parts of Nebraska. There are almost none left around my area. I'm on the eastern side of the state though. I took the class twenty years ago. Don't remember it.:smile:
ctdad

Postby cnelk » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Ok.
I emailed the NGP and here is what they said...

Those age 12 through age 29 must have proof they have completed bow Hunter ed to hunt deer, antelope, elk or mountain sheep in Nebraska.
Those older than 29 do not.
cnelk

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I just took the internet course and me and my son take the field day APRIL 27. We need it to bowhunt in Alaska, there are still openings it that class. Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby one_elk » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 18]

A little late in responing but I took the Colorado bowhunter class with my oldest son and thought it was a pretty good class. Certainly seem to run into a few folks, mostly over 29, each year who could benefit from the class….
one_elk

Postby mtnmutt » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 19]

6.5 years ago, I took the CO firearm Hunter Ed. I do not rifle hunt, only bow. I took that class because it was offered much more often than the bowhunter class.

Last year at Bass Pro in Denver, I took the CPW Advanced Bow Hunter Ed. It was a good class. I am a noob, but the veteran hunters in the class thought it was good too. I really appreciated the mocked up blood trail that was setup for us to follow.

If my memory is correct and that is a big if...This is how the Bow Ed Card was explained to me for those of you who wish to hunt rifle season with your bow and only possess a Bow Hunter Ed card in CO. You can get a rifle season license with a Bow Hunter Ed card if you do not have a firearm Hunter Ed card. However, you better only be carrying a bow during your season and not a rifle, otherwise you get fined and license yanked. If I am wrong on this, will someone please correct me? I am pretty sure on this because it was an odd question that came up in the class.

On the flip side, I was able do archery season with only having the firearm Hunter Ed card. They only had one bowhunting related question on the firearm Ed test and I did have to fire 10 shots with the rifle. I had used a rifle before, but had no desire to rifle hunt. The Advanced Bowhunter Hunter Ed has all bowhunter questions and no firearm questions. For the Bowhunter class, you have to shoot 3 arrows at 10-20 yards (depends on location of class) using broadheads.

I need to clarify something about the Advanced Bowhunter class. You need to already have taken the firearm Hunter Ed or regular bowhunter Ed class before you can even signup for the Advanced Bowhunter Class. The Advanced class is not offered as often as the regular Bowhunting class. I never took the regular bowhunting class. I had the firearm Hunter Ed card.
mtnmutt

Postby Indian Summer » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 20]

You'll be glad you went.

I took it because Alaska requires it to apply for permits in any archery only units. I was actually surprised at how fun it was. I was far from the youngest but had more years experience than anyone there. It was interesting to see that "noobs" come in all ages. Of course anywhere it's all bowhunters you are usually among good people.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby G Posik » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I have taken the regular hunter safety and the International Bow Hunter Safety. I find if you go into these types of classes acting like you know nothing you will learn something. I know some folks that have gone in "Knowing Everything" and say it was a waste of time. I know for sure I will be taking both of these classes two more times each. I will go with each of my kids, it will be a good refresher each time.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Indian Summer » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Glenn.... I went in knowing everything.... & learned a few things. ;)

Always learning.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby baddaddy » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Took it many years ago when I was stationed in California.
baddaddy

Postby dotman » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Yup, growin up in MT it was a requirement.
dotman

Postby TJB » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 25]

As a resident of Nebraska, I had to have it to bow hunt because I am within the age restrictions. I took the online class and then attended a field day. Having hunted most of my life and only getting into archery hunting a couple of years ago, it was a helpful class and I am glad that I was required to take it. The field day was a lot fun and I met some nice people who were "noobs" like me. It is well worth your time.
TJB

Postby otcWill » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Took mine in Jersey when I was 9. Had to wait until I was 10 to hunt. Im pretty sure I came out the womb an archery addict!
otcWill