Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A couple walks into a bow shop...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Freebird134 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

... sounds like a joke. And it did leave me chuckling.

My wife has wanted to get into archery. We live in Wisconsin now and the DNR has a bow loaner program to get newbies into archery at a low cost. $50 deposit and they gave her a Mission Menace with sight and rest + new release for a whole year. It's a great deal.

But she's enjoying it and wanted more. We were thinking about the Hoyt Ruckus, which is $400 in a package deal. She liked it 2 months ago. Or maybe a little upgrade to a Bear Home Wrecker for $460 in package deal. It gets nice reviews.

So we go to the shop and she shoots them. I left her and the salesman alone while I browsed Bowtech Insanity and Experiences for myself :) She comes back and says, "I want the more expensive one." I'm ok with that and say, "no prob. $460 is a great deal." She says, "well, not that one.... I like the Bowtech Heartbreaker."

I just started laughing. "You know all those times I went to buy a tube of fletching glue or a pack of broadheads and came home with a new sight/quiver/??? and you thought I was crazy!!!" Oh how the tides do turn!

She got her Heartbreaker in a package deal for $600 even. It's a sweet little bow! And I'm really looking forward to being totally guilt-free when I drop 900$ on my new bowtech in the next couple weeks!!! haha
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: A couple walks into a bow shop...

Postby eltaco » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Funny how things work at the opposite side of the table!!

Awesome to get her involved, tho! What a great hobby to share!
eltaco

Postby bnsafe » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

very nice, and she will be happy she went with a "full size" bow. only one small problem. sounds like 2 oos elk tags
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Freebird134 » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm really excited that she's excited about it. For the moment she has no interest in deer/elk hunting. She said she'd shoot a turkey, because they are ugly and don't have "big doe eyes." :lol: So I won't have to fork out for her elk tag any time soon, but will be paying for 2 registrations at 3D shoots this summer!

For anyone looking at the Heart Breaker, with our little experience I have to give it 2 big thumbs up! She is struggling with 40lbs, so I took over tuning and getting the sight pins set last night. I was a little scrunched up, but it wasn't long until I was shooting 5 arrows in <1" groups at 10 yards (with a 25" draw length!). It has a great back wall and is a good looking bow!
Freebird134

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Take on a hog hunt to shoot something ugly. Bet she would be hooked. Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby Freebird134 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Bartfrncs wrote:Take on a hog hunt to shoot something ugly. Bet she would be hooked. Bart

BRILLIANT!!! I take "her" on a hog hunt, which means I have a pass to go on a hog hunt too! :) It could get expensive, but I wonder how much I can milk this "it's for us" tactic. "I got us a new target".... "we both needed a new release" ... "What do you mean this new pack doesn't fit your torso length?"
Freebird134

Postby pointysticks » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Never really understood why women get the less expensive gear. I see this in motorcycles. Guy has s $500 helmet and gf is riding in back with an ill fitting visor-less lid. I wish my wife would hunt. I'd drop "man" money on her gear. You are a lucky dude.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby mtnmutt » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Love this story.

Many women over at archerytalk women's forum love the Heartbreaker.

Last year, I tried 3 bows (Matthews Jewel, PSE Stilleto, Heartbreaker) and the Heartbreaker was a little too rough on my shoulders. I have since damaged my right shoulder using my Jewel, so I guess it did not matter what I choose. I so wanted the Heartbreaker to fit because it was so much cheaper than the Jewel.

She will get over the "big doe eyes" problem eventually.

Can't give you any tips on "milking it" because I just buy what I want and don't have to ask permission, however, I have to pay the mortgage too. Women tend to be more frugal in their hobbies except for clothing, shoes and accessories. If you offer to get items on her bow that add color: strings, dampners, bow dip custom color, wrist sling; you may earn brownie points.
mtnmutt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Freebird134 wrote:It could get expensive, but I wonder how much I can milk this "it's for us" tactic. "I got us a new target".... "we both needed a new release" ... "What do you mean this new pack doesn't fit your torso length?"

Shrewd... ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

You mean "clever" Phantom, right?

Mtnmutt, the funny thing is that my wife hates all the colored accessories. She wants black. She doesn't want camo and she damn sure doesn't want any more pink! Black. The pink highlights on the Heartbreaker is enough for her!

Her parents sold their place in Florida and are moving back to Canada in May. We are planning to go down and help pack. I'm planning to arrange a hog hunt. I'll see if she's game by then :)
Freebird134

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Freebird134 wrote: You mean "clever" Phantom, right?

More like a strategic tactic ;) I use the same combat maneuvers only my wife doesn't hunt. A few years ago she wanted a new pistol for self defense... Well, I ended up getting two.. One for her and a new one for me as I got a significant discount for ordering two... 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Just an update for those interested. My wife was shooting 7-8" groups at 50 yards this weekend. I'm completely impressed (and proud)! Although I did have to thump a few sub=6" groups at 90 just to remind her who the archer of the family was (But at this rate.....????? :? )
Freebird134

Postby Lefty » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 13]

My wife is a shopper (spender)
The last times she walked into Sportsmans or Cabelas she spends way more than I would ever think of spending. Same thing the last and first time she went into my local archery shop she came out with items I would never buy. :P

Hmmm.. I think Ill have her pick up my bow on Friday :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dotman » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 14]

You guys are lucky, my wife is cheap and doesn't shop. She hates the mall, so I'm always in trouble when something new just shows up but she gets over it. Although I'm still getting an ear full about the rifle I picked up back in Jan. I try to push her to actually go out and just go nuts, have fun and get something you would like, she comes home with 1 new shirt. So I just have to buy her nice stuff and force it on her, wish she hunted.
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 15]

good deal with her shooting so well, sounds like an elk hunt in her future
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby BarW » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

How bout an update on that heart breaker? Looking at new bows for my wife now and that one is on the list.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby Vanish » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

dotman wrote:You guys are lucky, my wife is cheap and doesn't shop. She hates the mall, so I'm always in trouble when something new just shows up but she gets over it.

Mine too! She always says "what we had worked fine last year, why do we need X new item?" - which is sometimes very true, but other times it is time to upgrade.

One difference, my wife does hunt. Many say they wish their wife hunted, but its a blessing and a curse. Every time I buy something for hunting, I have to buy two! $$$$ adds up fast. And no, it is not cool to buy a "better" item for myself. She's the one with the pretty cherry 270 while I've got the plastic stock.

She whines a little bit about the space the Euro mounts take on the wall, but you can believe she had her pronghorn mounted in less than a week!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel