Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Butchering Eqipment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Butchering Eqipment

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

In an effort to be more thrifty I am taking the plunge and investing in ALL of the equipment to process my game animals. I would like recomendations on grinders stuffers scales cutting boards smokers ect. Generaly anything you mite feel would help speed the process along. Pics are helpful. Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Re: Butchering Eqipment

Postby cnelk » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bart
I dont have many pics, but I would get a plastic folding table, a big cooler, a meat grinder, a set of knives, knife sharpener, sharpening steel, a box of latex gloves, a couple plastic tubs.
You can get a small scale if you want to weight burger or just estimate.

If there is hair on the carcass, you can burn it off with a propane torch as the hair is hollow and disintegrates when heated.

Also know that vinegar is a natural meat disinfectant. Rub the meat down before cutting it up.

Lots of stuff on youtube to watch.

Its fun and rewarding
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Freebird134 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If you want to be thrifty, you can do a lot with a small knife, FoodSaver vacuum sealer, and a small grinder (<$100). I do all my own processing and don't have much more than that. I do have a smoker, dehydrator, and meat slicer too. I've always just used the kitchen counter and brought pieces in one at a time.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby FemoralArchery » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I got some cheap cutting boards at walmart, they are plastic and they come in a ton of sizes. They are all pretty cheap.

All I have is a couple knives, a couple cutting boards and a vacuum sealer. I borrow a dehydrator, but its not a very expensive one. I don't have more than $200 invested and this stuff will last several more years. We cut up 2 elk this year, with a couple friends and some beer, its a fun evening.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby eriks. » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey Bart,
Are you doing this in the field or taking it back home to do? If you're at home, you might check with a local counter top supplier to see if they have any mismeasured stainless steel tops or even Corian tops they would be willing to sell cheap. Then you can slide it on top of saw horses (I like the extra tall ones so it doesn't kill your back leaning over it) and your set.

Both of these materials are easy to keep clean and disinfected and they don't absorb or hold any meat that would get nasty. I was lucky and found a stainless top that is about 7' which allows me to process and wrap on the same surface at the same time. I like a good filet knife along with a couple of different sized butcher knives. Makes quick work of some of the trimming. Make sure to get as much fat and membrane off as possible to help eliminate the "gamey" flavor.

I wrap the meat first in plastic wrap and squeeze it down to get the air out as much as possible and then finish with freezer paper. I've had deer last over 2 years without freezer burn like this.

The other guys have given some good tips. Definitely keep a propane torch on hand like cnelk advised (way easier to get the hair under control than picking).

Good luck!
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons