Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your most memorable hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your most memorable hunt

Postby cnelk » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Of all the hunts you have done, what is the most memorable?
[t doesnt have to be an elk hunt]
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Your most memorable hunt

Postby Sean D. » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

The 2nd time i hunted MT! So much happened on that hunt it would take awhile to tell the story. Long story short though we walked up on a moose with a calf, she stood up and I knew we was way to close! Had wolves all around us one morning, 6 to be exact, all within 70 yards! Seen a griz with a cub, luckily she never seen us! I seen more elk than I ever have, we were into elk every day! Somewhere around the 4th or 5th day we seen a herd that had to have 250 to 300 elk in it. Seen the biggest bull i have ever laid my eyes on and had him at 80 yard and he wouldnt come any closer. Outfitter said it was the biggest bull he had ever seen as well, he guessed he would score somewhere around 380" to 390". It looked like a world record to me only being my 2nd ever elk hunt. I did have a few chances at some decent bulls but I was being picky after seeing a bunch of big bulls and ended up not killing anything, but I didnt care cause I was having the time of my life! I think that hunt was got me hooked on elk hunting as I have been every year since! I will remember that week in MT till the day I die!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yikes I cant come up with one
But Ive had some great hunts and expieriences in the outdoors
I m quite fond of a Utah deer hunt, where I sat along a beaver flow where ounted 11 beaver that weighted in over 60 lbs each
My first Mt elk hunt, first Idaho elk hunt, a family antelop huntin Wyoming, another with just my daughter
a number of youth waterfowl hunts
My oldest daughters first goose hunt, we had 1200 geese on the ground and 10,000 ducks, that was incredible
A sneak a buddy and I put nto the middle of over 10,000 ducks and 5000 geese and swans
a monster buck that got away, a monster bull someone else killed
a moerning in NW Sd where we called in 14 red fox in 2 hours
catching a number of beaver by hand
Middle daughter antelop hunts, youngests daughters moose hunt.
First deer hunt with my wife
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Without a doubt it has to be my 1993 elk hunt. That year I killed my first large bull from a tree stand. At that time I had learned enough so that I could reasonably predict that I would get an elk. I knew where a bull was coming in to water on a regular basis, and where to set up for him. For the first time I knew I had at least one elk's number, and was confident of the result.
The evening before I killed the bull, my son and I sat up our stand. Luke wondered if we were returning too soon by going in the very next day. I said it was ok, and had him wait in the stand the first morning. We only had one stand between us, so I went to another area and tried to call in a bull. While I was gone the bull he was waiting for came by the water hole, but he did not come in for a drink.
That afternoon Luke and I traded places, and Luke went down the hill, and waited in a ground blind by another water hole. At 5:50 PM I looked up and saw the bull coming in. He was walking slowly down the dusty trail he had followed many times in the past weeks. There were fresh rubs along the path which was beaten to dust. Slowly I rose up from the deck of the seatless steel platform I had welded together. Silently I drew out an arrow from the bow quiver. With the bow string against my chest, so there would be no sound, I nocked the arrow. By that time the bull had passed by a good sized Willow bush and was heading down a short slope to the water. When he bent his head down to get a drink, I came to full draw. Looking squarely through the sights, with the top pin resting on the center of his lungs, I squeezed the trigger of the release.
I watched the bright blue and white fletching flash forward through the air, those 15 short yards, and plunge deep into the animal. He instantly burst ahead through the water hole, which was a developed cattle watering place. The bull headed across the small flat, and down hill past my son, who had heard the commotion up above. After seeing the bull run past, Luke hurried up to where I was and asked; what happened? I explained I had just shot the bull. He was as excited as I, and relieved that I had not fallen out of the tree. Back in that time we had no harness or even a rope to hold me in.
After waiting for a half hour we followed the trail of the bull to where he fell over dead. Oh yes that was a memorable hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Most memorable hunt has to be my first deer. It was 13 years ago and I was 15. I couldn't archery hunt the year before when I was legally old enough because one of my friends accidentally broke my arm two weeks before the season. I was nearly crushed, literally by my friend, and figuratively for my attitude. I had logged countless hours punching holes into my block target for the year leading up to what would have been my first season. My Dad didn't hunt at the time and I didn't have anyone to teach me the ropes, so I set out on my own. I paid for subscriptions to Deer & Deer Hunting, Field & Stream, and Buckmasters. I read each issue cover to cover, sometimes twice. I'd clip out articles about moon phases, rut behavior, feeding and bedding habits, I became a deer hunter through the pages of these magazines. When the doctor told me that I'd be in a cast through the whole archery season, I felt cheated. Fast forward to the next season when I was 15, I was nearly foaming at the mouth to get at those whitetails. My soccer coach even noticed that something was up, I wasn't playing with my usual intensity because I wasn't about to risk getting hurt again right before the season opened. I completely wore out a block target by the end of that second summer of use, I was lethal! I had set up 3 different stands that, even today, I feel were in really good spots and they see a lot of daytime whitetail activity. On October 29th, I was sitting in my first and favorite stand when a small 3x4 came ambling by. His nose was to the ground and he was on the same trail that a doe (I presume) was on in the dark hours of the morning right after I got into my stand. I turned around to my right to where the buck was approaching from and when he was at 27 yards I tried to draw when his head was behind a tree. DANG IT!!! My safety strap had me too close to the tree to draw in that position. While drawing my arm scraped the tree and made a little noise, PERFECT, now he was alert. He had a staring match with the base of my tree for a few minutes and then proceeded ever-so-cautiously on his path. I, with the pace of a frozen snail, slowly turned a 360 to the other side of the tree to the side that the buck was exiting. When he was at 23 yards, I was at full draw and released. He jumped perfectly sideways about 12 feet when the arrow hit him. He ran 70 yards and did his last dance within site. I waited the longest 30 minutes of my life and got down. I didn't even go to him, I was shaking so badly that I couldn't have done anything anyway, so I proceeded directly home to get my Dad. He was coming out of the house as I entered the yard holding a bloody arrow. I'll never forget that smile. Even though he wasn't a hunter at the time, he knew how much work I had put into that morning's success and I knew he was proud of me. We grabbed some knives and a rope and set off to retrieve my finest trophy. I called everyone I knew to come look at my first buck. It was a beautiful fall morning, I'll never forget it.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ironhead22 » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have two most memorable hunts one for deer and one for geese. The deer hunt was memorable because it was first deer any of us had killed with a bow. My cousin shot a beautiful butterball doe at 10 yards with the arrow i had fletched for him an hour beforehand, i can still remember everything about that morning.
Now the goose hunt was me doing the killing, I'll admit I'm a horrible shot with pretty much anything but a bow so shooting anything with a gun is an accomplishment for me. In Indiana a couple years ago they started a February special season in which you could kill 5 Canadians a day. For probably 4 weeks straight i couldn't hit the side of a barn from 3ft. Last day of this February season rolls around and i was feeling pretty down but still wanted to go if nothing else to spend time with my buddy and watch his lab work. I ended up limiting out on 6 shots. I dont know what i did differently then before but it ended very well.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I cant narrow it down to just one however one of most lifechanging hunts was in SEPT 2003 on a bow hunt in Colorado when I heard my very first bugle. I was hooked. It sent a shiver up my spine still looking for that feeling every fall.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby easeup » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

the next one.....!
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 9]

my daughters first turkey, followed by her first deer and my sons first deer.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott