Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Shed Hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Shed Hunting?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

How and when do you do this? I've found a few old antlers during hunting season but have never made a concentrated effort to go out and "get em" in the spring. Do you concentrate solely on winter grounds for your search? Does it vary by area/state?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Shed Hunting?

Postby dotman » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't have a clue but wish I could do this. Has to be the next best thing to hunting them.
dotman

Postby otcWill » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I love shed hunting! Here in CO the elk havn't really started dropping yet except for a few. I've seen it happen in the end of January, but usually right around now give or take a week or so is when it happens here. Great way to add some fun to hiking/scouting and get the women or youngsters involved in the outdoors. Definitely concentrate on wintering areas. My best spots are public land where hunting is not allowed and the animals are stacked up. Give it a try, it's awesome!
otcWill

Postby Moose-head » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Since you are in Washington you can go to the Oak Creek wildlife feeding station outside of Yakima, or one of the other WDFW feeding sites. (They feed them to keep the damage that they would normally do to the local orchards to a minimum). On May 1st at 6:00 AM they open the gates and allow the public to go shed hunting. You will definitely have company, but there are some antlers in the area.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Moose-head. I know that area is a feeding station but didn't know they allow folks to go in a look for sheds. May just have to do that :)..RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Where I find the most sheds are on south facing slopes that green up relatively early in the spring. The elk are transitioning from their winter grounds when they lose their antlers where I hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics