Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Debone/Gutless Method Field Notes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Debone/Gutless Method Field Notes

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Somebody asked me a few years ago to make some brief notes about dressing out an elk using the gutless method he could carry into the field. These are what I came up with. They are not all encompassing but provide the basic steps for deboning an elk using the gutless method. There are actually some very good videos out which show this process being used on an elk. Thought I'd share for some of the new cats :)..

Debone-Gutless

1. Incision down top of spine from front to back (always go with grain/hair for all cuts).
2. Incision from spine to lower leg joint on front seam of hind quarter, circle cut around leg above lower joint.
3. Incision from spine to lower leg joint on back seam of front quarter, circle cut around leg above lower joint.
4. Skin off both quarters; leave remaining hide between front and back quarter on elk (with exception of back skinned down below back straps).
5. Lift up front quarter and cut off of elk. Will come right off cutting it off from bottom armpit. Don’t debone front quarters on elk at this time. Debone separate/later.
6. Hind quarter (debone hind quarter on animal). Locate tendon lines running up outside of quarter with finger. Cut and separate with knife, using fingers to guide. Both first large pieces are taken from upper hind quarter, down to knee.
a. Take back, large chunk first.
b. Take front, large chunk second.
c. Finish removing rest of meat from hind quarter.
7. Backstraps: Cut right by spine from back to front, all the way to where neckmeat starts. Find bottom of backstrap line and cut/separate with fingers. Remove backstrap.
8. Tenderloin: Incision above loins, reach in and push guts down and away. Grab loin, massage, and cut loin at front and back/remove.
9. Flip over and repeat.
10. Bone out front quarters and bag all.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Debone/Gutless Method Field Notes

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGCAY5Am ... r_embedded

Hope this link works. My computer is pretty much fried. Just click on the link and take your chances. LOL! you can either leave the skin on the legs or take it off. I think it took me less than 15 minutes a side doing it this way.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGCAY5Amvn4

Lets see if this works better.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Here is a pic of a cow I shot - did the gutless method by myself.
She is ready to roll over and do the other side.
Took me about 45min to complete the job

here is a pic of the tenderloin

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K