Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you think daily jogging is enough?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I run 3 miles daily now. Rolling hills. If my knees get sore mountain bike or road bike. I don't do epic hikes anymore. Just 20 milers. In August I need to go up and over 10000 feet. 18 miles in. Trout fishing. Do I need to do some weights?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: Do you think daily jogging is enough?

Postby cnelk » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I like to add ankle weights to give those calves a bit of change once in awhile
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I sure hope so. If it isn't, I am in trouble.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think so. not every elk hunt need be a triathlon competition.
easeup

Postby FemoralArchery » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Last year, my dad hiked with his full pack (about 30-40#, he increased a little throughout the summer) about 3/4 mile, took him about 45 minutes. Total of about 600 feet of elevation gain and drop. He did this 3-4 times a week all summer. He never ran, lifted weights, or anything else. I did it once with him, and come elk season I was wishing I had been there every time he was.

I had another buddy (28 years old) that ran all spring and summer, 3 miles per day, 4-5 times per week with a 25# pack on flat ground to train for a endurance training 3D shoot, Train To Hunt at Bogus Basin, here in Boise.

My dad out hiked, out climbed and was in better shape than anyone in camp. Also, my dad is 52 years old and the rest of us except for one other guy (50) are all in our mid-late 20s.

My advice, if there is a hill, even a small one, walk up and down it as much as possible. Just my opinion after seeing what happened in our camp last year.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I would mix in some hill sprints as HIIT, get some plyo type leg workouts, some weighted pack hiking, and get a long day or two (6+ hours of movement) before you go. If you live at low altitude then taking a trip to gain some altitude a couple weeks before you go may help.

I live in TN and plan to take a bp trip or two to the Smokies this year to try to acclimatize. Hopefully 5500 will help me get ready for 10500.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby GetemDuck » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have about a 3 mile loop around my little town, i jog it one day and walk it the next, my walk is with a weighted frame pack, it started out with about 45 pounds and is now up to 75 or so pounds.

It has worked for me, but but i am also not a run a gun hunter i take my time on the mountain.

Best of luck
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby ironhead22 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I joined a gym membership came with a consultation with a trainer, told him what i wanted out of it, first month was all cardio one day i walk on treadmill for an hour at a good pace flat for one minute then at an incline for one repeat for an hour. Sounded easy when he told me, at end of hour i thought i would die! Weights will be added in a couple days.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby buglmin » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Its not being out of shape for most people, its the lack of oxygen. Thats what kills the body, drains the muscles...
I used to have this real petite girlfriend that I used to throw over my shoulder and jump from couch to couch to table, to simulate jumping up on logs or rocks. Once she found out I was dating her to help me train for packing elk quarters out...well, you can figure out the rest of the story!
buglmin

Postby wideangle » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Our 3rd season Colorado camp was at 11,000 ft last season. We hunted up to 12,000 daily for 10 days. I do not think any amount of aerobic preparation is adequatre. Everyone is out of breath quickly. You just go slow, 10 - 15 steps at a time then rest a bit.
I keep my weight very lean. I do not want to carryany more than is essential. Ultralight gear is great, however, is somewhat pointless if I am overweight. Squats worked for me for leg strength and pull ups really helped my upper body strength. Cycling and swimming are what I use for aerobic endurance.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Vanish » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:I run 3 miles daily now. Rolling hills. If my knees get sore mountain bike or road bike. I don't do epic hikes anymore. Just 20 milers. In August I need to go up and over 10000 feet. 18 miles in. Trout fishing. Do I need to do some weights?

Trout fishing in July and August is my work out to prepare for Elk Hunting :D

If you need to carry a pack on your hike in, I would carry a pack during your training. It will prepare those "other" muscles more specifically.

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 12]

That is one beautiful trout is that colorado?
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Dang Cliff! Are you brag'n or complain'n? I wish I could do a quarter of what you said. But I never seem to have any trouble getting my elk. A two mile walk 2-3 times a week works for me.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 14]

What type of shape a hunter needs to be in is dependant on his style of elk hunting. If running & gunning is what you want then you can expect to cover 6-12 miles a day over a variety of terrain & elevation changes. Being in decent enough shape to do this & pack out elk quarters requires physical conditioning. Age comes into play as well. Personally I would rather be in too good of shape than not enough or borderline shape. I rely on both cardio & strength training to a degree year around, come May I include carrying a pack with 45# to 80# 3 - 1/4 miles 3 days a week in a 4 month span before the season starts. I carry it through the woods, trails & some road, this really helps a lot. 1st photo is a 4-1/2 mile packout over extreme country, took 6 hours of packing, I'm carrying a 1/2 elk. 2nd photo I'm hauling this load out for aprox 2 miles, it's a 90# load on an X2.

If more of a stand type hunter you can get away with less, I prepare for the worst & hope for the best! (grin)

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1972.jpg
DSCN1972.jpg (168.71 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
DSCN1931.jpg
DSCN1931.jpg (269.62 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul