Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery exercise

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery exercise

Postby ctdad » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've just started doing this as part of physical therapy for a shoulder issue. I was only allowed to do this after a lot of progress so if you have rotator cuff issues, proceed with caution.

Place a bungee cord of some sort at eye level in a door and close door so cord is hanging. Grab cord with right hand, stagger feet with RIGHT foot forward (opposite of how you shoot) but body is facing the door. Place left hand on door and straighten left arm. Pull bungee back with right arm like you are pulling a bow and push very hard against the door with your left arm. You should feel this on the inside edge of your scapula and a little behind the shoulder. repeat for both sides.

It really builds bow holding strength.
ctdad

Re: Archery exercise

Postby cnelk » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sounds good.

When I went to therapy last year for my shoulder, the therapist mentioned that you should do warm up exercises prior to shooting.
Then, when done shooting, you should exercise your bow hand the same amount as your string hand.

This will keep shoulder muscles in tune with each other.

Balance boys....
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My PT is telling me in 10 days I may be able to shoot,.. :roll: Maybe a little kids sling shot
I figure a few weeks of excersise, turn the bow down to 42 lb and practice paractice practice
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Broken arrow » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I learned the hard way when it comes to keeping both sides in tune. Ended up pulling a vertebra out of alignment. Visits to the chiro not aloud to shoot my bow for 6 weeks. The only thing I could do was draw it with my left hand 10 to 20 reps a day! Man that sucked!
Broken arrow

Postby Moose-head » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

How many Reps/sets do you want to do with the bungee excercises? Is lots of light reps best?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby ctdad » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Pull the bungee back and hold it while pushing hard with the straight arm against the door. I am just starting this exercise and I've been trying to hold it for about 20 seconds and am doing 3 sets. That little bit made me sore both times I've done it so far. As strength builds, I'll just keep holding longer.
ctdad