Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

long day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

long day

Postby bnsafe » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i drove from windsor to steamboat springs and back, 3 hours each way. now i know it takes 2:15 to get to where i elk hunted last year, cant just start hunting when you get there cause you gotta walk to the backside of it to get to where the elk are, so, im gonna hunt it on my vacation, but will try to find something alot closer to ft collins for a short weekend hunt. its gonna be alot of fun looking, i cant wait for the snow to go.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: long day

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

bnsafe wrote:i drove from windsor to steamboat springs and back, 3 hours each way. now i know it takes 2:15 to get to where i elk hunted last year, cant just start hunting when you get there cause you gotta walk to the backside of it to get to where the elk are, so, im gonna hunt it on my vacation, but will try to find something alot closer to ft collins for a short weekend hunt. its gonna be alot of fun looking, i cant wait for the snow to go.

Heck man, we do 3.5 hours each way for our "short weekend hunts" so I don't find 2:15 to be bad at all!

It would be 2.5, but similar to you, we like to get to the backside of the place and that takes another hour. Kills me when I am only about 6 miles from camp and its another hour drive!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby buglmin » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

We were leaving farmington, nm, last fall at 2:00 in the morning to get to the La salle mountains to chase mule deer for the day, then coming home, getting there round 1 in the morning, working a day, then doing it all over again, just cause I had to be at work every other day to check jobs...We had some nm clients that also had colorado elk tags, so we would drive the two hours to colorado to hunt for the day, drive back to NM that nite, get up the next morning and decide where we were going to hunt that day...
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Several times I have gotten up early at elk camp, go out and plug an elk, back to camp to get gear to pack it out.
Back to the elk. Pack it out. Back to camp. Load it up in truck. Drive 2+ hrs to town to the processor. Drive 2+ hrs back to elk camp.
Get up early to chase elk again...

I love long days like that... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i dont mind the drive, but its a long long long walk back into where the elk are. so if i leave work at noon on friday theres no way i can drive there, pack in an set up before mn and i would be stumbling through the elk tryin to get in, hunt saturday, then get out sunday. gettin out wouldnt be bad, just no way to get in without spooking elk, you gotta go in the middle of the day.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott