Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wild game , What do you like

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So not to hijack
So what wild game meats have you tried? , liked? Hated? want to try?????

Since we nearly live on geese, ducks are just fine. but still my favorite upland is sage grouse,... and I use to kill the heck out of ruffies, blues, pheasants and huns
My father-in-law killed a desert sheep,.. I believe the same as my kids, the best meat out there, then moose, antelope elk whitetail. Mulies except for yearlings always get marinated in our house

As a trapper beaver meat use to be what i filled my freezer with, especially the back straps on 2 year old beaver for steaks and the hams and backs for ground meat or BBQ

While living in Washington we loved seafood and shell fish. A good silver salmon can’t be beat A lot of the bottom fish are great too..
Freshwater crappie, perch walleye. and wiper I don’t think you can make a catfish worth eating( now spring bullheads is a bit different matter)
I use to kill a lot of squirrels growing up , they taste just fine but arent always tender.
Ive tasted a lot of other meats some I liked, some I will never like. Horse meat, tasted fine, so did mt lion, bobcat and coyote,.. but I couldn’t get over the mental game of what I was eating. I could never stand the smell of raccoon or cooked skunk (even when prepared by expert cooks)
Turtle is great,.. but way to chewy, gators,.. yummy stuff everyway Ive tried it.
New shell crawdads,(northern rocky lakes) .. even better than Hood canal shrimp
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: wild game , What do you like

Postby scrubs » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have eaten elk, deer ( Mule & BT), and Antelope.The Antelope I had was awesome, probably the best game meat I have ever eaten.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Guys I'm telling you, you haven't lived until you've had a belly full of frog legs or bob white quail breast. I love my elk meat but I'd trade 10 pounds of elk for 1 pound of frog legs or quail breast any day.
>>>---WW---->

Postby pointysticks » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Young bear that gas been foraging in the wild. Fantastic.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

WW you have eaten a lot more wild things that I have. I have had Blacktail and Mule deer, Rocky Mtn. and Roosevelt elk, antelope, bear, cougar, quail, Ruffed and Blue grouse, caribou, musk ox, craw fish, salmon, steelhead and more kinds of other game fish than I can think of, that are native in the NW waters, crabs, clams of different kinds, oysters, geese, ducks, ptarmigan, wild turkey. That is all I can think of now. I think my favorite is Musk ox or elk. And WW, when I stop by for dinner, go easy on that marinade, I really like the natural taste of wild meat. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ironhead22 » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

The best wild game meat I've ever had was black bear.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby snake » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It's hard to beat deep fried wild turkey nuggets with some thick white gravy. I am hoping that I get to taste elk for the first time this fall.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Really like elk, moose, antelope, and whitetail. I really like brook trout, perch and small bass, and freshwater lingcod also. King Crab legs are one of my all time favorites. Salty (fresh) salmon are great and of course, fresh steelhead filets are on top of my likes list. Have eaten rattlesnake (pretty darn good) but won't eat it again if I have to (it's a snake). Rabbit is good but not a huge fan. Don't really like goose or duck or grouse but all can be tasty if prepared correctly. Quail and huns are both very good. Have never tried squirrel. Not a bear fan... at all.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cnelk » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Not in any order of favorite...they're all not too bad :)

Moose
Elk
Mule deer
WT deer
Caribou
Bighorn Sheep
Mtn Goat
Black bear
Walleye
Northern
Trout
Salmon
spanish mackerel
red snapper
catfish
crappie
Wild turkey
Rattlesnake
squirrel
rabbit
partridge
prairie chicken
duck
goose
sand hill crane
snapping turtle

And Im sure other edible game that I have forgotten
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

ww, is right, frog legs and quail are the best. turkey fried like a tenderloin is really good. deer geese duck etc sucks. antelope and elk were ok. btw, hijacking is ok, i love to see where threads lead.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby otcWill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I've eaten everything mentioned on here and quite a few others. I do agree with WW that frog legs are the cat's meow! Rattlers are pretty darn tastey too! One of my personal favorites. But, nothing beats the "cheek filet" off a giant tuna freshly pulled over the deck.
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 12]

i cant even read about eating a rattler, man i hate snakes
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Sean D. » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I think Ive tried everything mentioned except horse, skunk and coyote and I dont plan on trying those! Muskrat is good also and hasnt been mentioned. If I could only pick one to have it would be squirell, hands down! Man I love those little tree rats! I did have a smoked antelope ham that was out of this world though!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Sean D. wrote:I think Ive tried everything mentioned except horse, skunk and coyote and I dont plan on trying those! Muskrat is good also and hasnt been mentioned. If I could only pick one to have it would be squirell, hands down! Man I love those little tree rats! I did have a smoked antelope ham that was out of this world though!

If you think squrril is at the top of the list horse shouldnt phase you.
When I trapped we did keep some back halfs of muskrat . It taste much better than squrril. just small and boney. Muskrat was just something to tide us over before beaver season after all the ducks and squrrils were gone from the frezzer
Lefty

Postby Sean D. » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:
Sean D. wrote:I think Ive tried everything mentioned except horse, skunk and coyote and I dont plan on trying those! Muskrat is good also and hasnt been mentioned. If I could only pick one to have it would be squirell, hands down! Man I love those little tree rats! I did have a smoked antelope ham that was out of this world though!

If you think squrril is at the top of the list horse shouldnt phase you.
When I trapped we did keep some back halfs of muskrat . It taste much better than squrril. just small and boney. Muskrat was just something to tide us over before beaver season after all the ducks and squrrils were gone from the frezzer

Im tellin ya some of these big eastern fox squirrels that eat nothing but corn an acorns are some of the best eating around! I had some squirrel in MT one year that only had pine nuts to eat and I wouldnt feed that to my dog!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby LckyTylr » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 16]

PHEASANT . . . best game meat I have tasted thus far . . . and Elk is immediately after that.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Freebird134 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 17]

LckyTylr wrote:PHEASANT . . . best game meat I have tasted thus far . . . and Elk is immediately after that.

What's your pheasant recipe of choice? I haven't eaten them much, but I got a few recently and they are sitting in the freezer waiting for a tasty idea!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby GetemDuck » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 18]

It would take me days of turning these tiny wheels in my head to recall all the things I've eaten' over the years so I won't hurt my self with such thoughts but I can tell you I did alot of frog gig-in' as a kid and had frog so fresh it was jumpin' out of the skillet. But I'm a steak and potato man so elk and white steaks are at the top of my list. now if you want a good soup to go with that steak then reach for a good bowl of turtle soup.

Never had bear but I often get a tag when I can and keep my eyes open when elk hunting I have see the track but never the fur. Moose, that is a rich mans meat down here in the lower 48 I'll be drawing SS before I can get a tag to put that in the freezer....lol

Game birds I do like quail, chuker and pheasant......no particular order there.

Duck and goose make some good jerky and are a blast to hunt but you wont find me craving it for a main meal.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Freebird134 wrote:
LckyTylr wrote:PHEASANT . . . best game meat I have tasted thus far . . . and Elk is immediately after that.

What's your pheasant recipe of choice? I haven't eaten them much, but I got a few recently and they are sitting in the freezer waiting for a tasty idea!

Any recipe that includes cream will help improve pheasent,.. dry nasty ditch chickens :) or good real cream of mushroom soup and 8 hours in a slow cooker if your not a

and goose make some good jerky and are a blast to hunt but you wont find me craving it for a main meal.

One thing about waterfowl it cant be blood shot or it tast strong or livery
a can of chicken broth and 1/2 onion in a slow cooker per 2 or 3 breast 1/2's for 8 hours,...add salt makes great au jour sauce and shedded meat
Lefty

Postby aron » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 20]

GetemDuck wrote:Duck and goose make some good jerky and are a blast to hunt but you wont find me craving it for a main meal.

Marinate some duck or goose for a few hours or even overnight to help break down the fibers. I like to flatten the breast thin, spread a layer of cream cheese on with some sauted onions, mushrooms, and peppers, roll it up and wrap bacon around it holding it together with tooth picks. Throw it on a grill and cook unitl it's medium rare.
aron

First Name: Aron