Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New thread v. new question/hijack?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New thread v. new question/hijack?

Postby Moose-head » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have followed some threads and then added questions that were along the lines that the thread is going but not really in line with the original post. I don’t want to hijack, the thread, am looking to keep the conversation of a good thread going. Is it preferred to start a new thread with these questions that come up or add questions to the thread that made me think of the question?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Re: New thread v. new question/hijack?

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

This is my opinion for what it is worth. If a comment or question fits the title of the thread, or addresses something that fits the title, then continue on there. If you have something that does not fit, then start a new thread. I like to see things posted in the proper forum. i.e. Equipment comments and questions should be posted in the Equipment Forum.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

What color vanes blend in best with a camouflage bow riser? ;)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Freebird134 wrote:What color vanes blend in best with a camouflage bow riser? ;)

You are a bad man :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Pink.....and do you put Garlic powder on your elk meat? What were we talking about ?
Haulin'Quarters

Postby Freebird134 » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Haulin'Quarters wrote:Pink.....and do you put Garlic powder on your elk meat? What were we talking about ?

:lol:
Freebird134

Postby Indian Summer » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Alot of threads can expand outside the original topic and that's fine. But sometimes they take a left turn... & then another one into a totally different subject. At that point it's inconsiderate to the original poster.

Also... If you want the best answers & the most feedback to a question start a thread. That also makes it easy for all of us, especially new elknuts, to look at titles and find what we need instead of plowing through threads.

Good question.

I'm a Gemini and my favorite color is green.

Did I ever tell you about the time me and a buddy........ :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Some threads seem to go the way of a camp discussion. Someone starts on a subject, then as Indian Summer says there is a left turn, then another and soon the subject is totally changed. The original idea for the thread is lost. At times this may be ok, and for many people it makes no difference. For some people these forums are totally about a social experience. For others it is as much a chance to read and learn. If you are interested in learning about something on a forum and subsequent thread, then it is not particulary helpful the have people going off subject, especially early in the thread. If you started the thread, and are seeking information, then some extraneous nonsence is usually ok, but too much may be disrespectful. I am not preaching as I need to watch what I say as much, and maybe more than others.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

You guys pretty much nailed it.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby Freebird134 » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I think it's worth adding that, as a poster, there is nothing wrong with trying to keep folks on track. It may not work (it usually doesn't for me), but I'm usually appreciative of a OP saying "back on track guys."

But in my experience there is just no keeping folks on track. No amount of preemptive effort can really keep tangents from happening. As a poster, an apologetic "I don't mean to hijack the thread but..." goes a long way.

Also, I think Moose-head just earned mad "respectful poster" credit by even posting this question! :)
Freebird134