Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

bit of a rant!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

bit of a rant!

Postby ironhead22 » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I live in Indiana but I'm not from here, I have noticed over the year's despite there geographic location a lot of Hoosier's tend to embrace the whole "redneck " deal. The Confederate flags, the fake bullet hole stickers on there trucks, the bull balls hanging from the back bumper. If that's what you like that's fine. The problem I see with all of this is most tend to be "hunters" therefore I get lumped in with these idiots. I hunt and fish I even wear camo shirts every now and then but I am the furthest thing from a redneck. Every "ditch the bitch lets go hunting" sticker I see is one more I have to defend myself from. Maybe I'm over reacting but it just really gets under my skin.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Re: bit of a rant!

Postby LckyTylr » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I agree with you. I'm proud to be a hunter, but I'm also very proud to be an ethical hunter that, in my opinion, is well spoken and a good example of how a hunter should present him/her-self.

With Social Media being what it is, it's so much more difficult to keep the idiots from gaining negative exposure. We just have to be that much more on-the-ball.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The origins of the term redneck actually go back to the 1930's in a number of disputes in West Virginia. A large group of unionized miners marched south to Logan County, to pressure the mine owners there to allow their miners to become unionized. To identify themselves, the miners all wore red bandannas around their necks. The publicity associated with the battles and the subsequent court cases created the term red-necks, and at that time they were viewed as the good guys in the conflict.

Originally, the term came from the later 1800's in southern Georgia and Alabama to refer to sharecroppers who worked in the fields thus getting a sunburned neck. They were called 'rednecks' as a term meant for hard working people. Today, the term is used by comedians and commentators to refer to people who are uneducated, close-minded and racist individuals.

The origins of this term Redneck are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", (rednecks) which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?

Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the term's origins - Rednecks?

Pulled this from the web somewhere; a brief history on the term. I know Indiana. Was born there almost 54 years ago. I moved shortly after I was born in a military hospital to MT. Was stationed back in Indy in 96 - 99 when Ft. Ben Harrison was still alive. Very good folks there but certainly an interesting culture. The city (Indy) grew up so quickly as commerce hit in a large farming community, it separted folks drastically between the "have and have nots".. Very interesting culture but again, very good folks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Living in this part of Idaho camo really isnt associated with rednecks. Everyone wears it some time or another in public.
I mostly dont wear camo in public because it is my hunting wear, My overall wordrobe isnt all that big, hunting clothes is just that, work shirts are nice what ever I can get on sale( like RMEF George Straight shirts for $17.00 or the Browning outlet)
Wearing a newer sagebrush camo I had a well dressed classy looking lady (OK she hit on me :shock: ) ask me about my shirt print in the Minneapolis MN. airport. She feigned intrest when I told her is was made by Kings,.. but easily got rid of her telling they also had what I thought was a nice looking snow shadow camo,.. the word camo sent her on her way.
I will agree its is sad that many hunters do not represent us well by what they do say or wear,.. but that is just part of what our world is made up of
Now there are some who are proud of their Stars and Bars and can rightfully so be, but the redneck Im not a cityboy, hate the Yankees, Anarchest wanna-bes dont follow the rules guys,.. :?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Ironhead22 I agree with your concern. As a bow hunter I appreciate the opportunities we have to hunt. I recognize the fact that I represent bow hunting and maybe all of hunting when I am seen as a bow hunter. I don't understand the need some people have to be crude and vulgar. The bloody head on the pickup grill or loud boasting about kills is offensive to many people.
As a Christian I am aware of the fact that I represent all Christians and my Lord. As with hunting I am imperfect, but I can sure make an effort to keep things decent and positive.
You are correct. We need to be careful to be a good representative for our sport.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

This has come up before on AT. I made the point that we should be good representatives of the sport and not flaunt our kills in a disrespectful way, act like idiots, etc. and I got flamed big time. Some guys think that it's all about "freedom of speech" and "not bowing down to the libs" to throw a bloody deer on their hitch rack or have some vulgar saying on their truck. Just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't mean you should. It's just bad for business...

Redneck has a much different connotation in Idaho, MT or WY than it does in WA, OR or CA. Around here it just means you're a country boy. In more liberal areas it's synonymous with vulgarity, intolerance and racism.
Huntrgathr

Postby ironhead22 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Huntrgathr wrote:This has come up before on AT. I made the point that we should be good representatives of the sport and not flaunt our kills in a disrespectful way, act like idiots, etc. and I got flamed big time. Some guys think that it's all about "freedom of speech" and "not bowing down to the libs" to throw a bloody deer on their hitch rack or have some vulgar saying on their truck. Just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't mean you should. It's just bad for business...

Redneck has a much different connotation in Idaho, MT or WY than it does in WA, OR or CA. Around here it just means you're a country boy. In more liberal areas it's synonymous with vulgarity, intolerance and racism.

I belive in this day and age we have to be more responsible for our action's as hunter's. We're constantly under attack from "animal rights " groups, we know the truth, its the "soccer mom" that worries me. If the Confederate flag waving, clever sticker, bull ball guy and I are standing shoulder to shoulder she doesn't see us as different.
I love the history of our sport and I think about guys like Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Pope and Young and how hard they fought to be seen as upstanding citizens and conservationist, what would they think of any of this?
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Moose-head » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I agree with the theme of this thread. I also learned some new info about the word origins along the way (Thanks Phantom). One thing that has been rehashed over and over is when poachers are identified as hunters in news stories. This is another way that we can get lumped in with a group that doesn’t represent that majority, but gives an undeserved image to ethical sportsmen.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The problem I see is the hunter/poacher distinction blurs, when a person with a legitimate license and tag(s), out in a valid hunting season, with their legally permitted, or other weapon, resorts to illegal means of taking game. No wonder the public views them as "Hunters", and it reflects on all of us. People who are really clueless about what it takes to fill their tags legally, think it is all a matter of luck. They know, no one can be lucky all of the time, so they assume people who are regularly successful are cheating too. I believe, for some anyway, there is a sense of competition so they cheat. For others it is just bragging opportunity or greed. Unfortunately as long as there is some advantage to be gained from cheating, some people will go that route.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yeah, I agree BUT: There are bad apples in every group of people. I think public is a little bit hesitant to label everyone in a group because of a few less than shining examples of human beings. 0therwise, with all the crooked cops, corrupt priests, teachers who can't behave, shady politicians etc etc who the heck would we have left to view as decent people? Not many. I'd like to think we all have a little more faith in our fellow man than that. To each his or her own. I'm becoming a little more passive as I get older.

I have been known to yell "Pull up your damn pants" out the truck window though. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer, you are right and I agree for the most part. I remember the advertisements that were used in this State to convince voters to ban hunting of bears and cougars using bait or hounds. It was the slob hunters that were paraded out on television. The majority of voters in many States are city dwellers, far removed from the hunting world. I just believe it is always wise to try to make a good impression. I know some voters don't care, and some have made up their minds before they ever hear the discussion. It is those that may be impressionable that I am concerned about.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:Indian Summer, you are right and I agree for the most part. I remember the advertisements that were used in this State to convince voters to ban hunting of bears and cougars using bait or hounds. It was the slob hunters that were paraded out on television. The majority of voters in many States are city dwellers, far removed from the hunting world. I just believe it is always wise to try to make a good impression. I know some voters don't care, and some have made up their minds before they ever hear the discussion. It is those that may be impressionable that I am concerned about.

Yes sir.. I used to give big game hunting seminars to Army folks a few years back and part of my presentation/"urging" was to stay away from anything that would or could be interpreted in a bad light by said city slickers/voters (anti hunters who do not understand what it means to harvest a big game animal in fair chase, and, use that meat for your family well into the next summer).. "I smoked him, wasted it, F'ed his shii! up, blasted it, etc. with excessive fist pumping". How about I harvested or killed a legal big game animal in fair chase? Not so many years ago, the hunting videos were much more reserved. We all know something magical happens with the written word, or in modern day, with published video that is provided to the masses for any and all to view.... it creates a perception of "oh, that's how they all are" if not produced intelligently/tastefully.. Believe me, I've fist pumped and said some stuff after the shot and/or finding my big game animal but would never put in on a video and mass produce it! I don't understand what hunters are thinking (really don't know about this one), putting some of the crap on video they do... Hunting "is" consevation. Heck, our hunting license dollars brought back many big game animals from the brink of extinction. We all need to take a deep breath, come together as intelligent huntergatherers (sorry Chris, couldn't resist :)..) and verbally and publically voice our displeasure with some of the stuff that's being put on national TV for "all" to see. Just my thoughts.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Phantom16 wrote:Yes sir.. I used to give big game hunting seminars to Army folks a few years back and part of my presentation/"urging" was to stay away from anything that would or could be interpreted in a bad light by said city slickers/voters (anti hunters who do not understand what it means to harvest a big game animal in fair chase, and, use that meat for your family well into the next summer).. "I smoked him, wasted it, F'ed his shii! up, blasted it, etc. with excessive fist pumping". How about I harvested or killed a legal big game animal in fair chase? Not so many years ago, the hunting videos were much more reserved. We all know something magical happens with the written word, or in modern day, with published video that is provided to the masses for any and all to view.... it creates a perception of "oh, that's how they all are" if not produced intelligently/tastefully.. Believe me, I've fist pumped and said some stuff after the shot and/or finding my big game animal but would never put in on a video and mass produce it! I don't understand what hunters are thinking (really don't know about this one), putting some of the crap on video they do... Hunting "is" consevation. Heck, our hunting license dollars brought back many big game animals from the brink of extinction. We all need to take a deep breath, come together as intelligent huntergatherers (sorry Chris, couldn't resist :)..) and verbally and publically voice our displeasure with some of the stuff that's being put on national TV for "all" to see. Just my thoughts.. RJ

Well said RJ. Too bad more guys don't look at it this way. When we ask them to be respectful they start lumping us in with PETA. It's sad that in some cases hunters are our own worst enemy...
Huntrgathr

Postby Indian Summer » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I know one thing at that is we need to police ourselves. If I see a hunter doing something blatantly wrong as in illegal or disrespectful to animals, environment, landowners, or other hunters I won't hesitate to let him know about it. Also.. I have never had to let her know about it for what it's worth.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro