Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

MOGA attacks RMEF and Randy Newberg

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

MOGA attacks RMEF and Randy Newberg

Postby dotman » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Since we are mainly DIY hunters we need to stand up and show our support of RMEF and Randy, this is low on many levels and I hate to say but I will not support any organization affiliated with MOGA or WYOGA.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk ... p?t=253976
dotman

Re: MOGA attacks RMEF and Randy Newberg

Postby Indian Summer » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Wow! That's not a can of worms... it's a bucket of them!

I know Randy (Big Fin). Just received an email from him yesterday that I need to reply to. He is one hell of a good guy and if I ever have any questions on details of policies or legailty of an issue legalities etc he is my go to. After knowing him for a number of years I can say this: If I'm not sure about where I stand on an issue... or maybe just don't have time to find out the details before forming an opinion on something.... I just look to see what position Randy takes and I make that mine. I trust his judgement unquestionably.

To paint an image of him as an anti outfitter is not accurate at all. 0utfitting in itself is not the issue. A more accurate statment would be that is is pro-public. If that offends anyone they can quit reading right now.

Remember.... I'm a Montana 0utfitter. So how can he and I be on the same side of the fence? First of all I do not and have never belonged to M0GA. Why? Simple... because they do nothing for public land outfiitters. Instead they use dues to represent outfitters on legal matters and to lobby for their goals but all of the goals and legal battles are ones brought about by private land outfitters. I think they do public land outfitters as much harm as good.

To me an outfitter provides clients with things like horses, mules, tents etc to access and survive in remote or rough country, and the knowledge of a big chunk of elk country so they can hunt it effectively.... things they truly don't have the time knowledge or equipment to do on their own. A legitimate service. Some just don't have the desire to do things on their own.

But I assure you lots of people not only have the desire but also the ability to hunt all of the private, or at least the landlocked public land on their own. The outfitters who Randy is dealing with are the ones who own nothing but a key to a gate and not only lease up all of the private land but at the same time land lock even more public land. They take away opportunities from the tax paying citizens. Kind of the opposite of Robin Hood. These are the ones who used the 0utfitter Sponsored (guaranteed) licenses to make sure they could sign leases and be sure hunters could all hunt. This results in lease costs non-commercial hunters would never pay and license costs many blue collar DIY hunters just couldn't afford.

Then... after creating private game sanctuaries the landwners lobby for more cow tags because the over abundance of elk is destroying their fence and pasture. The result is a cow massacre outside their fence, bow and rifle, which ruins the quality of the hunting for everyone else... while many of the bulls hole up out of reach of the public. Total political B.S. at the expense of the people. I understand the validity of many private land outfitters. I understand that much of the public cannot be trusted to respect private land when they are granted access. I also understand that livestock profits aren't always enough for a rancher to make ends meet. As an American I also respect the rights of any private landowner. But when they start running the show for their benefit and get involved in politics that affect the public and their hunting opportunites it's time to take a good hard look at things.

My point is that while Randy is spot on with his views... M0GA des N0T represent all outfitters. Fact is most public land outfitters I know don't belong to the organization. It serves us no purpose. This a point that is worth mentioning since this thread was created.

I support the RMEF. I do have some concerns over their hesitation in the past when it comes to wolf issues. They rode the fence because while many of their wealthy donors and sponsors support their aquisition of land... they aren't exactly in favor of killing wolves. That's a whole other subject.

Randy would be a great addtion to the RMEF board. Enough for now.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby dotman » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I hope it doesn't hurt the good outfitters, we need to snip this greed in the butt.
dotman

Postby dotman » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If anyone is interested in joining the RMEF, you can do it directly at on our banquet link, no need to purchase tickets to the banquet just under the second part you can purchase a membership only. https://events.rmef.org/shop.aspx?eid=0044130

This is for a great cause and all the support we can show the RMEF for standing strong is great.
dotman

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

@ Indian Summer. Thanks for posting that. I feel you're right on the money in what you said. I look up to Randy as a person and as a hunter. He really has become a voice for hunters. Also an interesting point on what you said about being a public land outfitter. I never thought of it that way. I'm also very happy with how the RMEF has started to change directions with their new leadership.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty