Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ok, treecutters. chainsaw question. bar oiling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ok, treecutters. chainsaw question. bar oiling

Postby pointysticks » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i have an Echo chainsaw. the thing is pretty powerful. it cuts like a rabid beaver.

but it seems to leak more oil from below the bar, than what appears to actually make it onto the bar. i tinkered with the adjustment screw and turned it down. i can get the tiniest oil spray slinging from the chain onto a clean piece of wood..so the chain and bar is getting some oil. but what gushes out the bottom is amazing. just a quick rev to sling oil onto the clean wood will leave the bottom of the saw dripping. it is clearly squeezing out between the bar, and the body of the chainsaw. i have the bar clamped down pretty tight to the body with the two nuts. i wiped everything down. the mating surface between the body (i know which is the oiler hole) and the bar is super clean. nothing is wedging them apart.

is this normal? the only thing i can think of is: at my bowrange i was using my saw to clear the 80 yard target. the range master, without asking, just grabbed my saw from me and attacked a tree. he clearly was not a great tree cutter, because he seized the saw into the tree and we had to "rescue" it with a range saw (craftman). when i got the saw back the chain did not move smoothly. he tweeked the chain, and i had to toss it. maybe he bent the bar a bit?

i think the Craftman saw they have at the range are woefully inadequate..and dangerous. i'd rather use my own saw, that i am familiar with.

any tips? try a new bar? help me you wood burning friends!! i'm just a weekend chainsawer..doing yardwork. not my expertise.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: ok, treecutters. chainsaw question. bar oiling

Postby pointysticks » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

please dont say"

buy a Stihl.

please :)
pointysticks

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Most chainsaw oilers are operated by the throttle.
As you use the throttle, the oiler pumps oil.

Take off your bar. Clean out the gear and chain adjustment area. REALLY clean it.
Then clean the heel of your bar

Put back together and try it.

Got silly a question for you...

Are you using Bar & Chain oil?
A lighter weight oil will do what you are describing.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i am using Stihl Bar oil.

thanks. i gave it a scrub, but i could do better. what is the heel of the bar? the half moon portion that faces the sprocket?
pointysticks

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

pointysticks wrote:
thanks. i gave it a scrub, but i could do better. what is the heel of the bar? the half moon portion that faces the sprocket?

Yes. There are some small holes in the heel of your bar. Blow them out with high pressure air.
I bet you got sawdust packed in them
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

It would probably be a good idea to take your saw to a chain saw shop. If you can retrieve the chain you tossed, take it with you too. They can fix chains. The bar may need to be rolled or otherwise repaired. They can get it right for you and save you a lot of headaches, and in the long run save you money also. Not every shop has a bar servicing tool, so they may need to send it out. P. S. Be careful who you loan your saw to. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 7]

A chain saw is like a good wife. NEVER let anyone borrow it!

As others have said, that guy probably bent your bar. You can buy a new one. They won't break your bank. They can also be straightened and dressed. And be sure to blow the lube holes and chain grove out really good.

Here is a tip that will help safe you a buck or two. Instead of buying regular bar & chain oil, mix a can of STP with a quart of 30W nondetergent motor oil. The STP helps the oil stick to the chain for good lubrication.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

yea. i shouldnt have let the guy grab my saw. i knew better.

i wont ever again..and my Axes. off limits. i'll drop by the saw shop today. thanks.
pointysticks

Postby NCelkhtr » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

yeah just take it buy a shop, it probably is bent bar. a little secret for when you put a saw up to save a little bar oil and a mess, open the cap on the saw and close it back when you are done using the saw. the oil is pushed out by pressure when the saw is running. when you shut the saw off the oil is slowly released until the pressure is low enough, leaving oil in the bottom of your case or wherever you store it at. opening the cap and closing it back releases the pressure therefore keeping the oil inside the saw.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield