Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Better think twice before putting down salt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby dotman » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Kinda nice to see the feds get put the hammer down. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ced-prison
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

No sympathy from this guy.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Better think twice before putting down salt

Postby LckyTylr » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I can't believe how many people are defending him below that article and saying that he should get a "senior citizen discount" for the fines, restitution and his prison sentence. BS!!!

It's his business, he's a guide, it's his DUTY to know what is and is NOT legal. I work construction, it's my duty to know what's within the OSHA guidelines and that structures are to be built pursuant to local, state and federal building codes and that they must meet project document specifications and standards. Do you think that I could walk up to a Wife or Child of a man that works for me and tell them that their Daddy just lost a hand because I didn't enforce safety policy?

These people are idiots.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Freebird134 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think you are right on LckyTylr. It is a sad, sad story. Sad it had to happen. Sad he did what he did. But he should have known better and acted accordingly.
Freebird134

Postby ironhead22 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Here in Indiana the law on this is, in my opinion, kind of weird, you can use salt licks and feeders as long as all traces are gone one month prior to hunting the spot and you can't change the course in which the deer move. Now you can cut down trees till the ground and plant a food plot and that's OK. What is the law in Colorado, is it illegal totally?
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby easeup » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

pretty tough words toward a man that hurt no one.
and a pretty tough sentence handed down by people who have probably done far worse things.
easeup

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Stiff penalty for baiting. If I could see that heavy hand used for the poaching that's been seen around WI I'd be a happy.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Freebird134 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

HurricaneHuge wrote:Stiff penalty for baiting. If I could see that heavy hand used for the poaching that's been seen around WI I'd be a happy.

I think the scale of his baiting is different. Guys around here might put out bait on their property for their own personal use, but they (generally, I assume) are not doing it all over the place, on public land, for paying clients for profit. I think guys that are baiting illegally deserve to be punished too, but an outfitter doing it for profit is a different matter.

easeup wrote:pretty tough words toward a man that hurt no one.

Depends on what you mean by hurt. He's poaching for profit, that hurts honest sportsmen by making us look bad in the eyes of non-hunters. he's also hurting the chances of honest hunters to kill animals. Every animal he helped kill via baiting is one less that an honest hunter did not have an opportunity to kill. If I had backpacked back into some distant area, and found an outfitter baiting elk you can bet I'd be an upset individual. The fact that he's 70+ years old just makes me think 1) he's definitely old enough to know better and 2) how many decades of poaching has he been involved in?
Freebird134

Postby Lefty » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Does salt really work?

Ranchers dump salt al over the national forest around here. Thinking back Ive seen some salt blocks that cattle are using,.. Seemed like a long way to haul it but it was beside water and signs foot pegs of a tree stand :?

Salt licks seem like a silly law to start with,..
But the Lacey Act for salting,.. somebody didnt like that fellow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

When you find a salt block, you can tell if cattle or elk are using it as cattle only lick the block.
Elk will take bites out of it

Does it work?
Yes.
Salt attracts all wild game, as they need minerals too.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Moose love them at all times of the year
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I find that salt has very little value during the hunting season. I don't buy it much, even though it is legal in Oregon. I sure would not risk what that outfitter and his client did. Most likely the police were tipped off by another hunter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics