Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dirtbikers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dirtbikers

Postby LckyTylr » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Who here rides dirtbikes for recreation?

Does anyone use them for hunting?

I have a 2000 CR250 that I ride around the mtns of Idaho. She isn't pretty and she could use a LOT of maintenance, but I can't see dropping $1000 worth of parts into a bike that's not even worth that much.

I also use her for hunting, usually riding anywhere from 3 - 9 miles from the truck on established trails and then hiking a few miles bushwhacking to get away from everyone. It's effective, but NOT a trail bike. She was built for Ricky Carmichael to eat up the racing competition and she's very good at that. Slow technical trails with a weeks-worth of food and gear on my back. It's exciting, to say the least. Let's make it even better, ride 6 miles in, hike 2 miles from bike, shoot buck on first evening, walk back to bike and ride out with 4 days worth of gear, food, rifle and a full mule deer in one load . . . on a slippery wet mountain trail with sleet and freezing rain, in the dark . . . with a flashlight taped to my helmet for a headlight that's dying fast . . . ALONE. That's what I got to do this year. :-0 It was NOT fun. When I got home, I weighed my pack (minus buck head and rifle) at 86 lbs. I went down once in a little tiny stream crossing (submerged logs are SLIPPERY), the bucks antlers stabbed me in the back numerous times, not a pretty sight.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Dirtbikers

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like a wild ride!!! (grin) I think you may need something more like this?

ElkNut1
Attachments
deer rifle 2012 018.jpg
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Vanish » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Lcky ... why didn't you just camp out a night , or take two trips? :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby ferris bugler » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I try to ride at least three times a week. I have hunted with it and used it to get elk out. Works great.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby LckyTylr » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Paul, I rode one of those a few times when I was a kid, I can't think of a more torturous ride for someone that really enjoys the capabilities of a real dirtbike. :lol:

I won't argue that they aren't PERFECT for what they were built to do, but I couldn't tolerate those little wheels, terrible suspension and painfully slow pace . . . . but they ARE good for hauling stuff on goat trails.

Vanish, I would have camped out, but my Wife gave me special "incentives" for every day that I returned home early with a deer. I knew that, rain snow or shine, I could make it home by midnight and get 3 days worth of "incentives". :D

I'M GETTING A NEW KTM 300 XC WITH ADDED HEADLIGHT AND ALL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT . . . . . . . TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
LckyTylr

Postby cnelk » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

My son has a YZ125 and we also have 2 ATVs.
There are designated trails where we hunt that allow MC only and others that allow both.
I dont understand the restriction of ATVs as MC do more erosion damage than ATVs

We dont 'hunt' with either, Just have ATVs in camp to get from place to place or leave one at a spot to hike back to.

Be safe
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LckyTylr » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Are there any Treasure Valley Dirtbikers?

I'm headed out to Hemingway Butte this coming Sunday to make the maiden voyage with my 2013 KTM 300 XC.

Let's GO!!!
LckyTylr

Postby Indian Summer » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

You also need a Petzl (or other) headlamp REALLY BAD! Better than a headlight on turns... headlight doesn't look ahead around turns and everywhere you look. They sure come in handy hunting too. (grin)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I got rid of my motor cycle (a 200 cc Yamaha fat tire bike) mostly because I am an incompetent rider. I bought it used and tried it one season. I felt like I was always close to disaster whenever I was anywhere I could not have gone with my pickup. I would not have gone where Lckytyle went, with his pack, etc. any more than I would try to pilot a Boeing 747. I just hope my legs and back hold up for a good long time, because they are what I am using to get where I am going.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Good point Joe, I learned that riding my last several street bikes. What's REALLY not fun is riding a bike that has solid fairings that attach to the frame and house the headlight . . . they don't even point where you are going when you have your bars turned that way.

At least with a dirtbike the headlight is mounted to the forks and turns with the bars.

But yes, I finally broke down and bought a Petzl . . . wonderful headlamp. Only trouble is fitting it over my helmet.

Swede, I hear you brother, I have been in those boots . . . scared out of my mind and thinking that I was CRAZY for being on two wheels. I have been riding and racing street and dirt for 12 years now.
LckyTylr

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

LckyTylr: My son loves dirt bike, and is pretty good with them as best I can tell. He would enjoy a hunt off of one, but I think I will just let you two go on ahead. You guys can get camp set up. I will see you when I get there. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Swede, it must be true what they say . . . "get smarter with age". I don't know your age, but I'd say you have it figured out. :D
LckyTylr