Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hey Mister, Where Did You Get That Name?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just curious as to where some of you guys got your hunting forum(s) handle from? Some are pretty clear (Elknut, cnelk, elkmtngear, bowkill, lovestobowhunt, bowelkdown) but where do the other handles come from? Mine is Phantom16, as in my Smokercraft Phantom16 fishing boat (actually just sold the old girl to help finance my old Chevelle I'm putting back in shape). Where did your handles come from (if you don't mind sharing).. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hey Mister, Where Did You Get That Name?

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Mine is the name of my business.

I've been kicking around the idea of starting a business and was trying to come up with a name. First it was going to be 2O Archery (O as in Owyhee County) because thats how counties are identified in Idaho on license plates and thats the county I'm from. But then I realized most people wouldn't understand and would think it was 20 (as in the #).

The picture of the bull that I shared was shot by my buddy. He made a great heart shot on it, but as he was running by his friend, his friend took a shot and hit him in the femoral artery. He caught a lot of crap about it. We all claimed that his buddy made the killing shot and not him, so on and so forth. Anyway, I left camp the day before that hunt and when everyone got back 2 days later, they all concurred that we were naming the business "Femoral Archery" because this was the second femoral artery hit bull. And it rhymes. I don't really know why I went with it, its unique I guess.

Rambling over.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby ironhead22 » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I was a union ironworker for 10 years so ironhead, 22 is my local number. Loved the work, was involved in some pretty cool builds like the field house the indiana Pacers play in, the new airport here, the tallest building built in the.city in 20 years, and to many bridges to count. I went in with a bad back and knees and that type of work isn't exactly great on either one so before I ended up in a wheelchair we made the decision to get out while I could,.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Indian Summer » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Mine is after the name of the Montana outfitting business.... Indian Summer 0utfitters.

I just love that time of year.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Kind of a long story here. My name is Bill and I love elk hunting. So I thought Wapiti Willie was a catchy name. But, someone on Bowsite started using the same name on several post that I had to make clear that I had nothing to do with. I got tired of the confusion and decided to just shorten it up to WW. And I'll be darn if someone didn't swipe that one as well. So, since I'm a bowhunter, I decided to add an arrow to it and finally came up with >>>---WW----> . Also I gave up on Bowsite. Too many copycats over there!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Vanish » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Originally, It was for playing online Deer Hunter games on the computer. One should be able to see the hunting connection! However, as my "friends" interpret it, the name is really for the way I will disappear from a forum for a few months while I pursue other hobbies.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

"Swede" was what my shipmates called me when I was in the Navy. It was intended to poke fun. I am 5ft. 6in and Swede started out as "The Husky Swede" Over time it shortened to just "Swede". I started out years ago on Bowsite as "Timber Beast". I doubt anyone has ever made the connection, but when I moved here, after retiring, I went to Swede. I am still not "husky", just older.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Mine is boring, the county I live in is referred to as the "dot" and well pretty sure I'm a man so I just rolled with it.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Well, I'm just nuts over elk, period, with no excuses! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buglemaster » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I got mine several years ago from my hunting buddies. I called in 5 bulls in the course of a couple days & they started refering to me as "the buglemaster".Dont listen to >>>--WW---->... He's told me its cuz I mis-spelled bunglemaster.. rotten ol fart!I hav'nt told anyone about the bungles! ;) To my own ears, I do sound like the master! Dangit Bill, I'm not totally deaf!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Herb » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

With a last name like Herbolsheimer, it's been a nick name for a long time.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby cnelk » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 12]

cnelk = 'seeing elk'...
Something that I do
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby easeup » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

some of us have spent way too many years busting a@@ and trying too hard.

someone told me I needed to ease up one day at work........I listened.
easeup

Postby buglmin » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Buglmin...actually used to have personal license plates with that on it too...I used to hunt every hard, almost every day, then got into guiding. One year, according to notes, I called I over 36 bulls in a month...so the hunters would tell me when they heard a bull, bugle them in...so everyone started calling me Buglmin...
buglmin

Postby planebow » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Mine comes from my two hobbies, model airplanes and archery
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby LckyTylr » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

When I was 14 and looking for a hunting dog . . . parents said "No Way". I bugged and bugged for months but they wouldn't budge.

One day my Sister and her boyfriend were driving around out in the country and he ran over a puppy that was crossing the road behind its litter mates. He stopped and the dog had a cut over its eyeball and was limping. He scooped her up and took her to the farm house where the farmer's Wife told him "I'll stick 'er in a box in the back room and see if she lives". This was an unacceptable answer to him so he asked if he could take the puppy. She didn't care, so my Sister brought it home to me. Knowing that it wouldn't last long, I kept the puppy in my room for almost two weeks before my parents found out. They admitted that they had no clue, and since I had done such an admirable job of keeping a young puppy quiet, fed and clean . . . that I was apparently responsible enough to keep her.

Soooooo, I was lucky to keep her and she was lucky that she didn't catch a tire in the head. I named her Lucky.

My name is Tyler . . . LckyTylr.

Lucky had to be put down a few months ago at the age of 14. She was a mutt, part Chow and part lab/Golden retriever. She was a wonderful dog. Very mild mannered for daily life, most times you wouldn't know she was in a room with you unless she farted :-) . She barked at any vehicle coming up the driveway until myself or my dad came up and shook your hand. Her memory was incredible, if you came to the house and I greeted you with a handshake and a smile, she would NEVER bark at your vehicle again . . . so long as you didn't get a new vehicle. She fiercely defended our house and yard from Black Bears. We had some VERY large blackies when I lived in NY, and at 50 lbs . . . she never relented. I watched her chase mature boars and mature sows with cubs out of our yard. I could never keep up with them, but she would chase them until they were all out of earshot and return hours later . . . happy as could be. We had one boar that was especially intent on getting into our trash and her dog food. Lucky would chase him to the top of the yard where the woods started . . . the bear would stop at the edge and remember that, in fact, he was a HUGE bear and that he wasn't taking any sh!t from a dog, so he'd chase her back to the carport where I was standing. Lucky would promptly remember that it was her turf and she wasn't going to let some ornery bear push her around whereby she would chase him back to the edge of the woods and they would repeat the whole scenario all over again. Quite humorous, they did that multiple times in one summer. I'll never forget Lucky. A boy couldn't have had a better first dog.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby bnsafe » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 17]

i conceal carry most of the time and belong to a couple of those types of websites. therefore bnsafe, be in safe
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Freebird134 » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I think mine is pretty obvious. Greatest guitar solo ever. Period.

But "Freebird" was already taken when I started looking for screen names. So was Freebird123. So I tried 134. And it worked. And it stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6b0bKj6s2M
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Harmy » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 19]

When I was a full time climber, I had a reputation for climbing the most dangerous and run-out routes (meaning a potential for falls in excess of 100 feet with certain death much of the time). My partners soon realized that climbing with me was Harmfull. My last name is Harmston. Thus I have been known as Harmy for the last 30 years...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby one_elk » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 20]

one_elk (one under score elk)
what does it mean. Well thats a good question that I am not sure I can answer, even though is my creation, haha) but I guess when I first came up with the idea it had something to do with focusing on one elk at a time…or maybe it just comes from writing a fair bit of computer code for habitat modeling and I use the underscore a lot. I have thought about changing it but then I would probably have to petition the court system to get it changed, haha……so that’s my story
one_elk

Postby pointysticks » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 21]

i mis-spelled "fointysticks" :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ctdad » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Two kids, Chase and Tanner. I'm their dad. CTdad.
ctdad

Postby Freebird134 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 23]

ctdad wrote:Two kids, Chase and Tanner. I'm their dad. CTdad.

I thought you were from Connecticut (CT)
Freebird134

Postby ctdad » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 24]

That's funny. I never considered Connecticut.

This thread has been interesting.
ctdad

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I thought for sure you were from Connecticut too. lol

Tyler... sorry for your loss man. :(
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I use a total of 3 handles on forums
All three were nicknames given to me by students,
The first handle was how a student registered me on 3 waterfowl sites 13 years ago,.. I told him to sign me up on 3 forums,.. he picked the handle because of where I hunt, That handle eventually became a nickname for me

Lefty was given to me by a student from some cowboy show and how I handle a gun
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I usually pack a bow when hunting and my first name is Robbie, thus bowpackerrob.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Huge is because most people can't pronounce my last, and I'm a bigger guy so they'd just substitute Huge instead of my last name. Hurricane, well, you'd have had to party in college with me to fully experience that nickname.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Freebird134 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 29]

HurricaneHuge wrote:Huge is because most people can't pronounce my last, and I'm a bigger guy so they'd just substitute Huge instead of my last name. Hurricane, well, you'd have had to party in college with me to fully experience that nickname.

I immediately pictured Frank the Tank streaking down a street. Im going to think of you as Will Ferrel from now on.
Freebird134

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Strangely enough, many of Will Ferrell's characters were drunk alter egos of mine.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Freebird134 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 31]

HurricaneHuge wrote:Strangely enough, many of Will Ferrell's characters were drunk alter egos of mine.

This one? :)

Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 1.56.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 1.56.18 PM.png (150.15 KiB) Viewed 22531 times
Freebird134

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 32]

I AM NEVER SATISFIED!...It's a curse.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ST52V » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 33]

I work in the steel tubing industry and st52v is a grade we do that causes me problems. It's not commonly used on forums and kinda catchy.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Broken arrow » 02 23, 2013 •  [Post 34]

I shoot wood and it never fails if I let loose an arrow while hunting somehow it always ends up broken.
Broken arrow

Postby Moose-head » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 35]

I like moose and bing in places where I see moose, also back in the day I used to like my moosehead beer a bit
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 36]

My parents. :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 37]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:My parents. :-)

Classic ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby easeup » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 38]

lol......
this one reminds me of a time when a friend of mine was in line to pick up an order.
the sales clerk called out; order for william williams.
He stepped forward to finish the transaction; and the clerk asked, "how did you get such a stupid name?"
his reply was, " You will have to ask my parents".
easeup

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Mine's pretty self explanatory - Hunter Gatherer... I've always felt a deep connection to our ancestors who subsisted by hunting and gathering everything that they could. My family mainly eats stuff that we've either hunted, gathered, or grown on the farm. When I'm out on the land, I try to imagine peoples of the past and how they would have interacted with their environment. I spend all of my free time hunting for one thing or another. Besides big game and upland hunting, I gather shed antlers, dozens of varieties of wild foods - mushrooms, berries, greens, etc. I enjoy looking for Indian artifacts in the Desert Southwest where I wander through the cedar canyons and mesas picking up arrowheads, stone tools, and pottery. Mostly, I just love watching nature unfold and bringing home something of value gives me an excuse to spend way too much time wearing out boots ! :D
Huntrgathr

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 40]

I had never used a handle so I just put what I end up doing most the time.....whether family, friends, or myself....seems like I'm always Haulin' Quarters.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby scrubs » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 41]

My handle comes from two things, the tv show Scrubs, and there is some mechanics hand wipes we used to use at work called Scrubs. They were citrus scented, and textured so they worked great, and smelled good.

The only other handle I have use is carbon-arch, the only forums I still use it on were ones that wouldn`t let me switch it to scrubs. The carbon-arch comes from when the internet/computers were new to me, and I was and still am a one finger wonder with the keyboard, well actually i`m up to two fingers :) . My wife at the time could type, couldn`t spell worth a darn, but could type. So she was filling in the register page for me, and for user name, I said carbon- arc, which is a form of cutting steel with a carbon rod and a welder, I didn`t catch that she put a h on the end until after she hit submit. Most folks that have asked me about it assume it`s short for carbon-archery which works too.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby scrubs » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Haulin'Quarters wrote:I had never used a handle so I just put what I end up doing most the time.....whether family, friends, or myself....seems like I'm always Haulin' Quarters.

Now that`s an issue worth having :) .
scrubs

First Name: Brett