Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's your favorite hunting book?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's your favorite hunting book?

Postby Freebird134 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I need some winter reading. What do you guys suggest?

For fun reading, I recommend "Death in the long grass" by Capstick. I own it and have read it several times. I love it. Makes me want to start saving for africa now!!!

For learnin' ya somethin', I got to recommend "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Herndon. It's focus is whitetail, but it's all applies to every animal. Talks about reading topos and how animals move across their habitats. It applies to any deer: whitetail, mulies, elk, and the rest.

What do you suggest?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: What's your favorite hunting book?

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've read all of Captsick's books at least twice!! Great books and I love the way he writes. Other than that, Howard Hill's book was pretty good as well.

I've never read any other hunting books before, at least not non-fiction ones.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Would have to say Elk of North America: Ecology and Management - Jack Ward Thomas and Dale E. Toweill (it reads a bit like a college text book but contains all you've ever wanted to know about wapiti). I've had it for some time but have never read the entire book. It's worth the $s if you can find one. 1982

I experienced an enormous shift in the way I interpret elk language a few years ago when Slim9300 (Conlan) forced me, against my will, to watch Elknut's DVD series. Hell, I grew up in NW MT and I know elk! It seems, not as well as I thought I did. Elknut changed the way I bowhunt elk in many ways. Elknut's Playbook is always on my bedside nightstand and I regularly re-read it.

Most recent "big" little book is John Erickson's Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk. Another bedside nightstand staple. I've never tree stand hunted before and this little book has a ton, I mean a ton, of great information.

Not as much of a reader as I used to be but will be checking out the recommended books on this thread. I have read some of Howard Hill's stuff years ago also.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby pointysticks » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

the Meat Eater, by Steven Rinella is fantastic.

like bill bryson and daniel boone got together and wrote a book. super witty, and some laugh out loud sections. fast read.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have read quite a few books and it is hard to pick a favorite. I always like the writing of Mike Lapinski. Maybe my favorite was "Death in the Grizzly Maze". Mike has an interesting way of bringing you into the adventure.
I remember Pete Sarifin and his brother Ben. They lived near Glide where I grew up. Ben had a sporting goods store in Glide, and Pete was into real estate. I did not know either of them well, but I remember them from the store from time to time. The old Glide Sporting Goods store is now a little restaurant called Munchies.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I think as a kid the best book I read was Herters catalog 8-)

Should be a book
My father in law has some life( an near death) expieriences written down,.. Like a mt goat fur wrapped around him and the lost hunter they had to cut off to get out the next mornig
another lost hunter he stayed with and somehow found a sheep cabin
Or his trailer blowing up , having to shoot his dogs because they were scaresd and jumped on him peeling burned skin off his body and spending 6 months in the hospital

His life spared twice in one day, the killers of a deputy ready to pull the trigger.
Finding the body of an oldtimer,.. dead under his tree and 4 feet of snow and hauling his frozen carcass out of the wts in his jeep

Or the 2 consectutive 700 yards shots on carabou
Killing his last desert sheep at 79,.. but his health wasnt good enough as a teen to enlist
Getting a snow cat stuck
killing bears with .22 pistols and a 12 oz. baul-pien hammer in Yellowstone
Catching and keeping a Mt .lion in a chicken coup
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ctdad » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

This thread inspired me. I ordered a bunch of these books off amazon today. Also ordered tree stand hunting book from elknut. Lots of reading heading my way.
ctdad

Postby ferris bugler » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I've always liked "A Sand County Almanac" from Aldo Leopold. Always puts me in the right mood.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten