Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is the longest you've gone w/o a shower?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Me. 9 days of horse riding and deer hunting. I smelled like the horses. I was juicy!

You?:D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: What is the longest you've gone w/o a shower?

Postby cnelk » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

You dont want to know.... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Herb » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Left home Sat, home 9 days later.

Took a shower, got all done, jumped back in for another shower, was ok then.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

No spit bath in a creek in between? Yikes :shock: I've gone 3-4 days max but at that point, I'm sitting in a very, very cold creek with a bar of scent free soap washing up or I can't sleep with myself at night. :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I try to be careful about my odor all of the time. While hunting my clean genes go into over-drive. I have gone a couple days without a shower, but I cheated and used wet wipes to clean up. I even washed my hair at some place.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

This wasn't hunting . . . but 15 days.

When firefighting in Northern California, we were spiked out on a far wing of the fire that had a mind of its own. We'd make great progress one day only to sit and watch from another ridge while it burned up and down several other ridges down wind. We were getting constant resupply for food and drinking water, but not enough water for bathing. I don't know how, but we never seemed to cross any creeks while we had enough time to stop and rinse off.

We were 20 stinky dudes.

I don't know whether your nose adapts and turns itself off . . . or if the body has such a thick layer or dirt, smoke and sweat . . . but after about the 5th day, you don't notice that everyone stinks so bad. It was very odd, but also very consistent.

Day 1: Everyone smells like roses
Day 2: Everyone smells like a Gym Bag
Day 3: Everyone smells like a Gym Bag with two dead feet inside.
Day 4: Roadkill
Day 5: An entire herd of cattle got dissected by a train . . . Bad Roadkill
Day 6: Something smells . . . ?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Freebird134 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I can't imagine I've ever gone more than a few days. The cold sting of a creek is almost pleasurable when you are covered in 3 days of grime.

Has anyone ever read the classic piece of literature "The Dirt" by Motley Crue? :) It's their biography. And it's a great read! First, did you know Nikki Sixx graduated from Jerome, ID? But I digress....

I forget the details, but they talk about having a competition of who could go longest without bathing. They went weeks. All crammed in busses and small jets. The details are not for this forum, but suffice it to say they did not let weeks of BO and grime hinder their rock 'n' roll lifestyle--apparently if you are Rockstar girls don't care if you bathe!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Herb » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

On that long stretch, I'm sure we had some body wipes to help things a bit.
Herb

Postby buglmin » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Wow...I cant understand how guys can hunt this way...every morning starts with a sponge bath, and one before the afternoon hunt. Camo clothing is never wore around camp, its sprayed and then hung up to air out. Personal hygene is very important to me. And when we take the fifth wheels, its a shower and shave every morning.
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Wuss!!! (big grin)

I'm sure it's been 5-6 days like some have mentioned, sure you sorta sponge bath it a bit here & there but I'm not a big no scent guy. A little food, smoke or dried elk blood smell on clothes doesn't effect the way we hunt much at all. Ya we may smell ripe here & there at times but hunt the wind & it's not an issue. It's when you push your luck & go against the wind, now that's trouble!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I did wet wipe. I have these huge military wet wipes used for desert showers. I've heard tank teams can go weeks on patrol. All crammed in a steel box in the desert heat. Yuck
pointysticks

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Here is what helps a little bit when showers are not an option. Change your hunting clothes out every day. Take the dirty duds and put them in a bucket or plastic bag of water (enough to cover them) and add about a cup of baking soda. Mix well and let it soak all night.

The next morning put on your other set of clothes and hang the washed ones on a line to dry. Switch out every other day this way and it helps a bunch. It won't get rid of the dirt, but who cares. Camo is dirt colored anyhow, right? But it helps to rid the odor/BO.

When you take them off the clothes line, they will be stiff as a board from all the baking soda in them. But when you put them on they limber right up and you give yourself a good dusting of baking soda. LOL! But it does help.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Like lckytylr, I occasionally got spiked out on forest fires and spent days without any serious cleaning. On about three occasions I got home before I could shower. I smelled quite a bit like a billy goat. When I arrived at home, I would ask the kids, about ages 6-10, if they would like the have an armpit smelling contest. The one that smelled the nicest would win. After just one contest they would run away squealing and hide whenever I suggested we have another contest. Winning was not really winning I guess.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Wuss??? Man, I gotta admit, taking a fifth wheel like we do in NM and Utah is awesome. Plus the fact that you set the satelite dish up, and its home away from home. Big double beds, heater set a 60 degrees, ac when you need it in NM...now thats a hunting camp!!! Call me a wuss, but when its 17 below zero on a January mule deer hunt in NM, that heater and hot shower does wonders to a guys attitude and moral...
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Anthony, I'm razzing you dude! Nothing wrong with those accommodations at all. (grin) We too take a 29' travel trailer as well when needed. I love the convenience of it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Probably around 5 or 6 days, but could go more. I can handle my own funk.
dotman

Postby pointysticks » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 17]

buglmin wrote:Wuss??? Man, I gotta admit, taking a fifth wheel like we do in NM and Utah is awesome. Plus the fact that you set the satelite dish up, and its home away from home. Big double beds, heater set a 60 degrees, ac when you need it in NM...now thats a hunting camp!!! Call me a wuss, but when its 17 below zero on a January mule deer hunt in NM, that heater and hot shower does wonders to a guys attitude and moral...

Good lord that sounds nice!
pointysticks

Postby buglmin » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I know you are Paul, and truth be known, after staying a week in a fifth wheel, its hard to go eight miles in on horses and be comfortable...lol. You miss the 'comforts'...and yessir, after a week in the mountains, the first thing I want is a shave, then a shower and a soft bed. Let the horses take care of themselves...lol.
Truth be known, I've always wondred what it would be like staying in a teepee...
buglmin

Postby Herb » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Really?? Most my elk hunts are in a tipi without a fifth wheel close. No big deal, just no extra changes of clothes, hot showers. My NM hunts out of the camper were easy, showers o'plenty, back country, just a different beast. Time and place for both......and showers too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360294700.964867.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360294700.964867.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 13486 times
Herb

Postby Buglemaster » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I'm with the phantom! We all will hit the nearest creek/pond after a day or two.Sept in Colo has some pretty warm days & a quick dip & wipe feels mighty refreshing.A couple smelly buddies in a small tent & i start gettin sinusitis of some sort & its not a good condition...the shrinkage that goes along with jumping in 40 degree water is rather humbling tho...seems like none of us are anywhere near the man we thought we were.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Lefty » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I dont hunt dirty two days in a row ever,... anymore

At rifle camp years back thecamp rule was we couldnt shower till we made a kill,.. 3rd day I showered because I couldnt stand my stink, then killed my elk 8-)

I have to wipe down and change clothes daily if I cant bathe
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bullelk » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Nine days in a drop caribou camp. Rained and was pretty cold, which may have held our smell down (from each other)!
bullelk

First Name: mike
Last Name: adams

Postby Heartwood » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 23]

My dad took me on my first elk hunt (rifle in Colorado) when I was 16. Went 10 days without but generally dont go more than 3 days now. At home in winter sometimes may go 5 days before the girls threaten to kick me out in the snow. Guess I'm out numbered around here. Seriously, if I'm not around other people I don't seem to mind my own funk. Probably too much information though.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby BobcatJerry » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Went 8 days this year. Never started to stink. I used Mitchum unscented gel. That stuff is unreal. dabbed it on just before hunting, took a little in a baggy for mid week, never started to honk. Good stuff. I even only use it at home every few days, the other stuff, everyday or else. I did ruin the white wash clothes at the hotel that we stopped at before the airport. Could believe how dirty I was. Before that 3 days was the longest.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby HurricaneHuge » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I've gone 8-9. One time, I was raunchy. Second time, not as bad as I would have imagined by far. Only difference for me was synthetics next to my skin versus merino wool as far as I can tell. Plus it made that one shower the best shower I've ever had without company.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Z Barebow » 02 23, 2013 •  [Post 26]

16 days.

Left for hunting trip in August, showered at hotel on return trip home on Sept 15th. I did the wet wipe thing while out though.

I was solo, and you get used to it.

Hunt the wind!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Teton Jon » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 27]

U.S. Army, Infantry. You don't want to know and I don't want to go that long without again.
Teton Jon

First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Howard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Teton Jon wrote:U.S. Army, Infantry. You don't want to know and I don't want to go that long without again.

Damn stinky bass terd ;) . Thank you for your service by the way. I did 20+ myself although not in the infantry. It's guys like you that allow us to enjoy what we enjoy and makes this country great for many, many reasons. Thanks Teton Jon for your service to our nation. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 29]

what month is this????
wawhitey

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 30]

I am a retired army guy and my record is 5months. After about 2 weeks the stench levels out and you get used to your smell. Now everyone elses not so much. Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby ELKrazy » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 31]

what month is this????

:lol:

For hunts where I'm camping out, I've gone 11 days or so. I really don't mind it. :shock: The deer that get downwind do though...I think they could snort for a year and not get that stink out of their olfactory glands.
ELKrazy

First Name: Matt

Postby pointysticks » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Bartfrncs wrote:I am a retired army guy and my record is 5months. After about 2 weeks the stench levels out and you get used to your smell. Now everyone elses not so much. Bart

I've heard tank teams go long. And it must get steamy in a tank. No AC right?
pointysticks

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Yes vehicle crews deal with heat but when its 130 well its FN hot.
00051079.JPG
00051079.JPG (153.94 KiB) Viewed 13282 times
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Bartfrncs wrote:Yes vehicle crews deal with heat but when its 130 well its FN hot.
00051079.JPG

Damn stinky Soldier... :).. Thanks for your service.
WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Wow! Thx for everything!
pointysticks

Postby dapper » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 36]

14 days on last years wilderness hunt. Tried a sponge bath at the little stream in the middle of that span, I don't know what was worse going so long without a shower or that darn cold sponge bath. This year an extra water container is going to be one of those solar shower bags.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring