Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Converting Harmy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Converting Harmy

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

On the dead hands thread I read with interest Harmy's perspective on several items and definitely appreciate his point of view. Harmy did write one thing that got me to thinking again. Harmy you need to quit that. If I die and ever become an anatomical donor, I would like to have something to offer in mint condition. If I don't have to think, I believe my brain might be that thing. I am sure it is a rough paraphrase to say Harmy believes some here are converting him to bow hunting. :) I love bow hunting elk, and am glad to have other good hunters involved. I think bow hunting elk is the best. I know that too is just an opinion, but here in Oregon I can bow hunt elk, in the area I want to every year. If I was a gun hunter I could only hunt it about every forth year. I can get an elk nearly every year. I know I still get concerned about getting one every August, and wonder when things will go south for me, but so far that has been true.
I believe elk hunters who are knowledgeable about elk can get more elk than the gun hunters, even when the gun hunter has a tag. We have a longer season, and normally better weather. So Harmy what's holding you back? And for others why do you hunt with the "weapon" you choose?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Converting Harmy

Postby pointysticks » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

i got a decent elk with a rifle. rookie season, opening morning. i was feeling really high about myself. i foolishly made a vow. it went something like this:

"mark my words people, i wont ever pick up a rifle again for elk (gray area with other beast :)) until i take one with a bow!!"

in hindsight, i should have made the vow after my second or third elk. i essentially went vegetarian that morning..hahha. someday. sooooommmmeeeedaaaayyyy.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby easeup » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would jump at the chance to convert Harmy or anyone else for that matter. :)

since the thread was on the misc page, it fits just like anything alse there.

for bowhunting has made me a much better hunter. Why would I not say what I have found to be true and just and good in life?
Why would my experiences not be shared with the hope of making someone else life better also?

Everyone's experiences will always blend in the with religious and political issues. no way around it for all laws that we must live by are created in the politcal sphere and if they have any merit they are based upon religious beliefs. there is no hunting elk with any weapon without those laws and beliefs.

sorry guys, it just got me to thinking also.....
easeup

Postby Harmy » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

A couple of things are holding me back.

#1. Time. I need to practice and learn to shoot. My career is crazy. I work for three companies. I live in 3 states. Kind of hard to shoot a bow consistenly with my schedule.
#2. Kids. Ages 10 and 12. I need to change my hunting away from "my time" and toward helping them learn and become competent in the mountains. I can't effectively teach them something I am completely incompetent at. :x They already laugh at me more than I should allow... :lol: They are both very interested in hunting. They both have firearms and bows. But they are still too small to go after elk with a bow. Luckily I know a bunch of good spots where they can hunt elk without huge steep nasty terrain. A few more years and thet will change and I suspect they will convert to hunting with a bow on their own. That may well be the time I commit.
#3. I have already invested way to much in guns. I have to sell a few before I can allow myself a new toy.
#4 and most important. Scares the crap out of me thinking about how much new stuff I need to learn and how many newbe mistakes I will make... :D
#5. And follow-on to #4. I can't even think of eating tag soup. I have been so successful with my current system I would hate to wreck it. I eat elk nearly every day and could not imagine reverting back to beef, yuck...

But honestly, time is the biggest factor causing me to hesitate. I wish I could take a month off each year and devote myself to hunting. I have to sacrifice a fair bit to take a week off each year or even a long weekend. It costs me significantly in wife demerits when I am gone more than I already am. With rifle hunting I am already fairly proficient and don't need to spend any more money nor do I need to practice more than a weekend a month or less. But man am I intrigued. I suspect that after this next season I will begin the transition and initiate my "Pilgrimage" to "Mecca".
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Oh Harmy; think about those bugling bulls screaming a frosty September morning. They are calling your came in elk language. :D Of coarse I am not trying to influence you at all. grin
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Perhaps Harmy has never had the "correct" inspiration. Perhaps, just perhaps, one of us need to invite him out for the expererience that will turn the tides. ;) There's nothing like late SEP in the elkwoods with a bow, a bugle, and a stinky snot nosed, mud caked, PO'ed wapti wanting to shred you that brings out the best in men :)...
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cnelk » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Harmy

Take no shame in staying with fire-power for chasing elk.
Your priorities are in the right place at the right time.

You will know when the 'conversion' time has come - if it ever does.

Each year I hunt elk with a bow and a rifle, I hunt deer with a ML, I try to maximize my time in the woods by using the technique that fits the season and my schedule.

Good Luck!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Harmy » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I got the taste last year with my first bull. It was the last week of September on a limited entry unit Muzzy tag. I have never ever heard or seen so many bulls and have never gotten that close to them before. That experience was a game changer for me for sure. While I took my bull at 100 yards I had several closer experiences with smaller and one larger bull that really changed my opinion of what I should do. In order to hunt the rut I will have to switch to a bow at some point. Waiting 20 more years for another limited entry tag is just not acceptable. I have to re-experience this phenominal thing that occurs with these animals, even if it is simply with my camera. The decision has been made already, it is just a matter of when. I am converted. And I will blame every darn one of you every chance I get. :P
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby easeup » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

He's done.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

easeup wrote:He's done.

Toast for sure.... ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Converting Harmy

Postby Herb » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Gosh, I was thinking he had the priorities and perspective about right. I've only hunted them with a bow, but hunt them how ever you want. It's ELK HUNTING, and there is lots of ways to do it.

I started elk hunting before my father and chose a bow. Fell in love with it and have been doing it ever since. My father started with some rifle hunts, loved it, and just as addictive as my experience.

Love your experience, but don't limit or discourage others with "yours being the only way." Most don't hunt with a bow, great!!! Think how crowded it would be if they did, might change the experience you currently enjoy.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb