Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

Maybe I'm not really hunting elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maybe I'm not really hunting elk

Postby Lefty » 09 21, 2026 •  [Post 1]

Headed back up to camp after a trip to town for gas and attend church. There was a herd of elk 200 yd off the edge of the road
I realize that this group of elk has probably been crossing back and forth once or twice a day
The thermals were still bad for the area I was planning to hunt, I thought I better go take a look and see if these elk were still bedded out in the wide open grasses

I got distracted by two groups of antelope where the bucks were in full rut

Probably 3 mile from a real tree
PXL_20260921_141109909.jpg


Watched him walk away for 35 minutes then walked over the continental divide into Montana
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 7667
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H