Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Offseason thoughts...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Offseason thoughts...

Postby Tigger » 01 17, 2024 •  [Post 1]

What are some small goals for next year's season. I say small because everyone wants to shoot an elk and have a great time with family and friends. But how about some smaller goals?

Mine:

1. As always, have a bull bugle back to me. Not difficult, but it is one goal I have every year. The first time one responds, I ain't gonna lie, I get a smile on my face!
2. Have my gear perform as intended. No wet feet. No broken anything.
3. Not forgetting something fairly important. Twice now on hunting trips I have forgotten something. Once, it was my dop bag with all my toiletries. Did you know convenience stores only sell deodorant and not antiperspirant? Then, this last fall, driving west out of Fargo, I got to thinking. Hmm. I am sure I put my clothes bag in for this 4 day ND duck hunt. I couldn't possibly forget it. But I don't remember putting it in the truck. Call the wife. Yep, it is sitting in our bedroom.
4. Find an arrowhead. This might be a big goal and shouldn't be on this list, but I have never found one and want to once.
Tigger

Re: Offseason thoughts...

Postby Lefty » 01 18, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Whats Off Season,,, ????
Im trying to avoid big projects,,

I have yet to shoot a goose, this year Not a big goal,, but on the list
March: the plan is to hunt the spring snow goose conservation season for a 3-week trip in South Dakota. Mabe hit ND for a week in May
There is a mature blonde bear I plan to target in May and June: last year the mosquitos were so bad even in high winds, I need a bug proof blind
The first week of June is the Western Trappers convention,, Maybe attend
Deprime 40 galloons of shotgun hulls,
shoot up all the 30-06 loads and sell the rifle, spend some time at the range,
Shoot up some "boxes of.22 with my granddaughter. Load some 7MM loads for deer elk and bear.
Last week of July I will attend The National Trappers ASSn, in SD; visit with old friends. May find someone to trap a few coyotes with in Nov.
Set up a blind for archery elk, only 25 minutes from the drive-in location.
I may set elk camp up an hour plus away to hunt flatter ground :lol:
I may purchase a couple of cell cams in a location that has cell service
Call with my granddaughter.
I may just shoot any elk during the last week of archery,,,, nah, I don't think so, I can do that during the muzzleloader season
Scout a different area for deer,,, the 22/23 winter kill eliminated them all where I had been hunting
Get a pit in for geese
But my biggest goal it to get my wife out to catch some of those bigger fish on Blackfoot, American Fall and Henrys lake. We need to fish together!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 01 18, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Small goals this year:
- Get my son out fishing more. Put a flyrod in his hand.
- Take him somewhere we can actually see game when hiking/scouting/hunting
- Take him shooting more
- Basically get him outdoors with me more. He's already old enough that sports and school activities are beginning to eat up his time, so I need to make it a priority to get him out with me when I can.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 01 18, 2024 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:S
- Basically get him outdoors with me more..

Those times will make him what he becomes!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2024 •  [Post 5]

My goal is to be ready and go hunting. I have a spot I have looked over on a topographic map and G.E. that looks special. It reminds me of a spot that RJ showed me when we hunted in Idaho. It just looks good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 19, 2024 •  [Post 6]

Ill be getting home in about a week. Short term goal is just to spend more time in the winter woods enjoying it, not being on a real mission. Go hiking, see whats around, follow tracks... yeah ill bring a rifle and do a little bobcat / coyote calling, but more just enjoy the woods. Too often when i go out im on a mission. Nice just to go wander around casually this time of year, see whats to see. Been a while since ive just spent a day following lion tracks without a tag.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 01 20, 2024 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey wrote:Ill be getting home in about a week. Short term goal is just to spend more time in the winter woods enjoying it, not being on a real mission. Go hiking, see whats around, follow tracks... yeah ill bring a rifle and do a little bobcat / coyote calling, but more just enjoy the woods. Too often when i go out im on a mission. Nice just to go wander around casually this time of year, see whats to see. Been a while since ive just spent a day following lion tracks without a tag.

guts!
But have you voted on the photo of the year contest yet???
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 20, 2024 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:Ill be getting home in about a week. Short term goal is just to spend more time in the winter woods enjoying it, not being on a real mission. Go hiking, see whats around, follow tracks... yeah ill bring a rifle and do a little bobcat / coyote calling, but more just enjoy the woods. Too often when i go out im on a mission. Nice just to go wander around casually this time of year, see whats to see. Been a while since ive just spent a day following lion tracks without a tag.

Ahh… to be young and appreciate the great things in life. Enjoy mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ