Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

apparent grizzly bear attack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

apparent grizzly bear attack

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I sure \we need a season on Grizzlies. Last year: a sow and cub were put down nearby. And Andrew my hunting partner watched as IFG put down a boar 100 yards from his camper. Then a year ago when we were in West Yellowstone ( name of a Town) where a grizzly killed a local fisherman.

Reading many of the reports by the big new services, they like to pumpup the Yellowstone ecosystem,,

Just a sad deal,,,

Woman found dead after apparent grizzly bear attack near Yellowstone national park
Bear tracks found at scene investigators say, as Montana sees increase in grizzly sightings

Associated Press
Sun 23 Jul 2023 23.02 EDTA woman has been found dead in Montana after coming into contact with a grizzly bear on a trail west of Yellowstone national park.
The state’s fish, wildlife and parks department said the woman was found deceased on Saturday on a trail near West Yellowstone, a Montana town nestled in the Custer Gallatin national forest just west of Yellowstone national park.
The woman was found “following an apparent bear encounter” based on what investigators determined were grizzly bear tracks at the scene, the department said in a statement on Sunday.
The investigation into the grizzly attack was ongoing, it said. The department did not confirm her cause of death.
Rangers issued an emergency closure of the area where the woman was found, which is popular with hikers.The apparent attack comes amid a rise in Montana’s grizzly bear population and an increase in sightings.
The department put out a news release last week warning visitors that staff had confirmed grizzly bear sightings throughout the state, “particularly in areas between the Northern Continental Divide and the Great Yellowstone ecosystems”.
It urged people camping and visiting parks to carry bear spray, store their food while outside and tend to their garbage.
Fatal encounter with grizzly bears are exceptionally rare. However the human population in bear strongholds in south-west Montana has escalated by up to a third over the past decade. This has led to grizzly bears getting into increasing conflicts with humans.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: apparent grizzly bear attack

Postby wawhitey » 07 24, 2023 •  [Post 2]

This stuff happens, and will continue to happen as long as humans and apex predators share the same landscape. Seems there are 2 extreme sides fighting. Eradication and complete non management. Neither is reasonable. A happy medium must be found. But everybody is an extremist on one side or the other. I expect nothing but 2 stubborn groups butting heads with no solution for the forseeable future. Im sorry for the victim of this. No wish to make it political. Maybe somedaywecan cutthe crap and find a way to exist together in relative harmony, but im not holding my breath
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 07 25, 2023 •  [Post 3]

People have to be aware as well. Another article I read on this said the woman was found to be wearing headphones, jogging in the woods in the morning, in bear country. She chose to jog with her hearing impaired during the time of day animals are most active, in an area known to have grizzly bears. All of those things worked against her. She probably didn't even know it was happening until the bear hit her.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2023 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:People have to be aware as well. Another article I read on this said the woman was found to be wearing headphones, jogging in the woods in the morning, in bear country. She chose to jog with her hearing impaired during the time of day animals are most active, in an area known to have grizzly bears. All of those things worked against her. She probably didn't even know it was happening until the bear hit her.

We hunt part of that same unit. The grizzlie population has saturated the habitat. Bear get more aggressive when stressed.
Th ehuge boar Andrew watched IFG get killed is in a very active camp area between the lake and major road, The Sow IFG killed last year chasing the biker and attacked the jogger, a major ATV trail off the edge of a road.
If I got the trail location the gal was on,,, it is a closed road, now a very heavily used trail

We just need a season on grizzlies in that region. Even if it is only 3-5 per year boars only,, And the bears that attack people,,, put up a bid to go in with F and game to kill them
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 07 25, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Yes people should be more aware of bears. But bears should be more aware of what humans are capable of. In places where grizzlies are hunted they have a different attitude than bears in the lower 48 who have anti hunters and lawyers representing them. They know who the apex predator is.

It’s no different than wolves. In Alaska they run. In Montana they just stand there. Or I should say they did before we started hunting them. It’s not easy to kill one in Montana. But before they were legal to hunt they’d stand 75 yards from base camp howling.

Look… grizzly bears are NOT ENDANGERED! Period. No more than wolves are. They should be managed by hunting just like any other big game or predators.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I agree with you Joe, but you do not want to see the issue presented as a ballot measure in many states. The bears will be grinning from ear to ear as they pick their teeth after dining on succulent hikers. The wolves will be up all-night howling with joy.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 07 27, 2023 •  [Post 7]

No…. they won’t. Not all of them anyway.
Attachments
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Well this year I going in with a little more protection and limit where Ill be hunting alone. Stopped an talked with a fellow behing a spotting scope,,, his comment" At least Im not seeing a grizzly."
Talked to some fisherman,,, putting stuff in the car,, couldn't even fish near the road
they need to get hunted [lain and simple
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2023 •  [Post 9]

I have had wolves around my hunting camps in the Wallowa mountains. They howled in the evening and at night, but they were not hunting humans. They hunt deer, elk and will take domestic livestock. The game commission needs to be able to manage them just the same as they do the elk. The problem is that with ballot measures ignorant people with no stake in the matter have much more voice in the matter than the professionals and those that are impacted by the decisions they make. Maybe I have missed it, but I have heard of no instances of wolves attacking people in the U.S. Still, I suspect we would get a different answer on things if wolf packs roamed our cities and suburbs.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 31, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I have had wolves around my hunting camps in the Wallowa mountains. They howled in the evening and at night, but they were not hunting humans. They hunt deer, elk and will take domestic livestock. The game commission needs to be able to manage them just the same as they do the elk. The problem is that with ballot measures ignorant people with no stake in the matter have much more voice in the matter than the professionals and those that are impacted by the decisions they make. Maybe I have missed it, but I have heard of no instances of wolves attacking people in the U.S. Still, I suspect we would get a different answer on things if wolf packs roamed our cities and suburbs.

Ballot measures are all around bad idea. If the measure is any good any smart politician would be presenting it. the side that spends the most typically wins.

In the wild (not in Jellystone parks) once a wolf spotted or smelled us they are on their way.

five years ago (maybe four) my daughter and I came off a call location, a short distance up the trail was the largest grizzly in the lower 48. He had been captured for the 3rd time in 25 years, just weeks earlier and didn't want anything to do with us
That bear looked like a huge Brahma bull to us, we moved on out of there faster than the bear.
Lefty