Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I Heard a Good Sermon Today

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I Heard a Good Sermon Today

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Our pastor started a new series based on the book of Ephesians this morning. Part of his sermon was how Christians in our society share a lot in common with the Christians in first century Ephesus. As a minority the Christians had a lot of challenges and were not well accepted. Their values and belief were different than the majority in the society. I do not know if you have thought about it, but as hunters we share a lot in common with those first century Christians. Like those that have come before, we are a minority. Most people don't share understand or our values or our way of life.
For us to continue, under the circumstances we find ourselves in, we must be trusted. We need to care about other people and their sensitivities. We are conservationists at heart. We do a lot to promote good wildlife management. We want to see healthy wildlife populations and are the first to condemn those who do not value all wildlife. We should be wildlife's best spokespeople. Sadly, there are at least a few that can always be used as the poster boys for all that is wrong with hunting. Lets plan here on WapitiTalk to be a part of the solution and not the problem.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: I Heard a Good Sermon Today

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Swede wrote: We should be wildlife's best spokespeople. .

At time we shouldn't hide our light( or efforts info) under a bushel. I do what I can,,

I was headed out the door at dark thirty AM . My plan was to see how close I could get on the roads where I drew my elk tag and see some elk
I pulled into the church parking lot at 9:38,, Somewhere, Montana 8-)

There was a great Sunday school discussion Luke :15

The class had 25 people, a third were out-of-state ranch owners , and even the wives were there to help in calving :o

The teacher was a retired outfitter, sheep herder ( when young) and cattleman,
He had a drone view of the 99 sheep on a chalkboard and another spot,,,a coyote,,, and the lost sheep off the chalk board.
Anyway a very unique discussion/lesson.

KJV Luke:15

3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I Heard a Good Sermon Today

Postby Jhg » 05 08, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:...For us to continue, under the circumstances we find ourselves in, we must be trusted. We need to care about other people and their sensitivities. We are conservationists at heart. We do a lot to promote good wildlife management. We want to see healthy wildlife populations and are the first to condemn those who do not value all wildlife. We should be wildlife's best spokespeople. Sadly, there are at least a few that can always be used as the poster boys for all that is wrong with hunting. Lets plan here on WapitiTalk to be a part of the solution and not the problem.

That statement should be into stone.

"...We must be trusted."
What a great life lesson in humility and from it we may discover our perceived "enemies" have more in common with us than we imagined and common ground shared.
Thanks Swede for another thoughtful perspective on hunting.
Jhg