Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is wrong with you?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is wrong with you?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 1]

There’s a thread over on Hunt Washington where a guy found/rescued 3 mixed breed pups found in the woods and is looking for good homes for them. What is wrong with people? There are multiple options besides dumping unwanted pups/dogs up in the sticks. I honestly don’t understand this phenomenon, maybe somebody can illuminate the “why” on this one…
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What is wrong with you?

Postby 7mmfan » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Because there are a lot of scum out there. It's actually a little frightening to me how many people there are out there with zero respect for life. People like that need to be taken behind the woodshed...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 05 04, 2023 •  [Post 3]

They will also dump children. Not in the woods but in cities and they end up where ever.

We are trying to by example show our kids why it is important that our actions will take into consideration the needs and feelings of others. Compassion starts at home and a lot of homes have none.
Disregard for others, animals, or the earth are all ways people hide feelings that they want to keep buried. If they actually allowed themselves to feel more than indifference or anger, the floodgates would open.

Being angry or indifferent protects them from letting down their guard. My 2cents worth.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2023 •  [Post 4]

My father in laws quote. "Poor people have poor ways"

Jhg wrote:They will also dump children.

Ive heard the same add over and over. "1/5 of Idaho kids go hungry"

Now there are exceptions to my general statement.But not many.

We have so many programs to help kids, families, homeless,,,, those programs are so abused. In my experience, there is addiction involved. All were doing is making the addiction of choice easier for people.
They are the same people who don't take care of their animals, dump unwanted liters of pets,,, and their trash.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jhg » 05 04, 2023 •  [Post 5]

All programs are not bad and not all participants abuse them. But we better leave it right there.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I suspect it is because people do not have to pay or explain when they dump. That applies to dogs, cats or garbage. You can throw things out and just drive away. Are these people poor? Has their landlord threatened them with eviction? I do not know. Where is the nearest dog pound? I do not know the answer to that either.
When I had a 95-acre place in the country, people dumped out their unwanted animals. I suspect they thought they would get a good home. I think they all became coyote food as they were not around long.
Something I have observed is that more women dump. Men take the dog on a one-way hunting trip. I am sorry if these things offend anyone. It is just my observation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 30, 2023 •  [Post 7]

You mean like this guy? Could have ran off and got lost, but my money is on somebody dumped him. Same routine as the one last winter, glued to one spot, wouldnt leave, like he was waiting for his owners. People living nearby dont recognize him, he was on the side of the road for a couple weeks. Super friendly young dog. Skinnier than he looks, bones all sticking out when you pet him. Real sweet dog. Fattening him up with bear meat. But he needs a home. Free dog if anybodys interested. Very much a cuddler, but not a jumper or a licker, very mellow. Looks to me like maybe some sort of anatolian shepherd mix, but thats just a guess. Kinda carries himself like a german shepherd. Gotta be young, he has perfect white teeth.
Attachments
20230830_163023_copy_450x600.jpg
20230830_163023_copy_450x600.jpg (294.93 KiB) Viewed 826 times
20230830_163233(0)_copy_800x600.jpg
20230830_163233(0)_copy_800x600.jpg (255.46 KiB) Viewed 826 times
20230830_163047_copy_450x600.jpg
20230830_163047_copy_450x600.jpg (245.81 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 30, 2023 •  [Post 8]

If anybody is interested in giving him a home, ill cover the initial vet bills to have him neutered, wormed, whatever, and ill supply a crate and an initial supply of food. This is a very sweet pup that needs a stable home, which i cant give him. Pm me if youre interested. Stevens county wa, between colville and chewelah. Hes a real sweet pup that needs a loving home. Not gonna find a better mannered dog. Hes a winner.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 08 31, 2023 •  [Post 9]

So this thread started with some asshat dumping puppies and now we have a guy covering vet bills and a crate for a stray dog. Quite the turnaround and for every deadbeat out there, there is a good guy. Well I hope the ratio is at least 1 good guy to every 1 deadbeat.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 08 31, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:So this thread started with some asshat dumping puppies and now we have a guy covering vet bills and a crate for a stray dog. Quite the turnaround and for every deadbeat out there, there is a good guy. Well I hope the ratio is at least 1 good guy to every 1 deadbeat.

Well, this dog was also dumped by some asshat is the point. And the big problem right now is that my neighbors dog, is for lack of a better word, a total b****. But she was also a rescue dog and clearly abused, so i cant hold it against her. Anyway, she takes exception to this guys presence, and if they manage to get ahold of eachother, it wont be pretty. This dog needs a new home, even a temporary foster home, and he needs it asap. It may be that he needs to be an only dog, but knowing the neighbor dog, id bet money the conflict is entirely her fault. Ive no joke had to fire my sidearm at her feet to keep her from attacking me while getting my mail. But thats a whole nother issue im not interested in getting into here.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 31, 2023 •  [Post 11]

This really does seem to be a great dog, and if i didnt live alone and travel for a living, id gladly keep him myself. Wish i could. But i regularly leave home for 30- 70 days at a time, so its not possible. The dog i picked up in the mountains 7 years ago, i dumped off on my parents :lol: and hes a super sensitive soul that just couldnt stand me bringing another dog into the mix. Hes a real delicate guy. I walk outside to take a leak, come back in, and he grabs my hand and drags me over to the couch whining. All these years and hes still terrified of being abandoned. Adding another dog would just upset him so bad i think it would kill him.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 12]

Nice old guy down the way is going to take the dog once he gets his balls cut. Pup will have 30 acres to run around on.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 13]

We had a neighbor post on the neighborhood Facebook page of a young dog that wandered into her yard. She posted it was a nice dog, how trained, good manners,She lives across the road from the reservation. Probably some dirtbag from town.
The res. has a very strict policy a loose dogs without a collar gets killed in site
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:We had a neighbor post on the neighborhood Facebook page of a young dog that wandered into her yard. She posted it was a nice dog, how trained, good manners,She lives across the road from the reservation. Probably some dirtbag from town.
The res. has a very strict policy a loose dogs without a collar gets killed in site

I understand the sentiment, but a lot of them dont deserve the death sentence. Like this guy. Hes not out killing deer. Hes just waiting for somebody to come along that he can cuddle to death. There are good dogs out there that get dumpped in the woods by bad people. Theyre not going to kill deer or whatever. Its just what it is. And yeah, if a bad feral dog is causing problems in your neighborhood, than by all means put it down.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 15]

Damn nice job Dean. You gave that pup a new lease on life ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 16]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Damn nice job Dean. You gave that pup a new lease on life ;)

Nah, it was all my neighbor. Ive tried to help as much as possible, but shes the one that found him and took him in. Im goingto be real sad to see him go though. At least i know where the pup will be living, on the nice farm road down the way, so i can go check in on him. He wont be far.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 09 03, 2023 •  [Post 17]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Damn nice job Dean. You gave that pup a new lease on life ;)

Nah, it was all my neighbor. Ive tried to help as much as possible, but shes the one that found him and took him in. Im goingto be real sad to see him go though. At least i know where the pup will be living, on the nice farm road down the way, so i can go check in on him. He wont be far. Where hes going to live, no joke i drive down through there on my way to / from work just because its such a nice little scenic valley, i go out of my way on a dirt road just to drive through it for the scenery
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 09 05, 2023 •  [Post 18]

So the guy that wants him had parvo on his property, which can apparently stay in the soil for years like cwd, and said hed take him after his vaccinations. Turns out a full suite of parvo vaccinations takes 4+ weeks so thats a dead end. Have one lead right now on a new home near cheney that soubds great, but these things do tend to fall through, so for now, great dog still up for grabs. Heres a facebook screenshot my neighbor sent me. Neither her nor i have facebook. As far as the getting on with other dogs "selectively", i dont believe that. My neighbors current rescue dog is the problem imo. This guy doesnt seem to have a mean bone in his body. Id bet the farm hed get along great with any dog that doesnt have an attitude problem.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230903-221718_Gmail_copy_600x743.jpg
Screenshot_20230903-221718_Gmail_copy_600x743.jpg (146.27 KiB) Viewed 749 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 09 05, 2023 •  [Post 19]

This morning he had to crawl in my lap and be held for quite a while, then he wanted a walk so i gave him the lead and we walked around my property for a while, into the woods where he could sniff / pee on everything. Then he came in my house and sniffed all my bear skulls, very interested in bones. Then it was play time. Started off "helping" move sawdust by jumpibg around biting at the wheelbarrow tire, then it was a game of keepaway with the ball. He is clearly no retriever. His game is " i have the toy, chase me!"

Rj, can i have your wifes email so i can send her this thread? :lol:
Attachments
RNFetchBlobTmp_gofhw8j0thl5x3k9m4kywa.png
RNFetchBlobTmp_gofhw8j0thl5x3k9m4kywa.png (321.06 KiB) Viewed 749 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 09 05, 2023 •  [Post 20]

Somebody brought another dog over to see how he would do and no problem at all, they were playing hard, zooming around my field so fast it was making me dizzy
Attachments
VideoCapture_20230905-180254_copy_800x450.jpg
VideoCapture_20230905-180254_copy_800x450.jpg (163.2 KiB) Viewed 743 times
VideoCapture_20230905-180220_copy_800x450.jpg
VideoCapture_20230905-180220_copy_800x450.jpg (103.19 KiB) Viewed 743 times
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 09 05, 2023 •  [Post 21]

Those are a couple happy looking doggos.
7mmfan

Postby Tuffcrk14 » 09 06, 2023 •  [Post 22]

This is how the lady in Northwest Montana ended up “harvesting” a Siberian Husky thinking it was a wolf. Someone dumped 6-8 of them off out in the woods and then that whole charade happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tuffcrk14

Postby wawhitey » 09 10, 2023 •  [Post 23]

Well the pup is in a new home now and not a day too soon. Couple in their 50s that are home all the time and have a fenced yard right next to a trailhead that have a german shepherd pup his age that they wanted a dog friend for. Sounds like a great home for him.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 09 11, 2023 •  [Post 24]

Good to hear, glad this had a happy ending.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2024 •  [Post 25]

wawhitey