Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why why why

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why why why

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Why do you apply for or purchase non-resident tags licenses etc?
For me, it looks like Wyoming is out,, for the rest of my life,,, way too many points are required for the hunts I want. I use to do the September goose hunt,,, but that is now filled with archery.
For years my inlaws lived in Idaho, My wife had a lifetimes hunting license, and we hunted upland, waterfowl, and fished.

My wife is a bit freaked out about this year my Montana "application" is $1384,75 .
She claims she's worried about me hunting alone. I told her I wouldn't be saving any bulls for our daughter anymore, Blah blah blah,, :lol:
The whole our retirement dropped,,,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Why why why

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I don't hunt much out of state. I hunted Idaho once with RJ and his friend mostly for the experience. I enjoyed my time there and the good company, but it would have been just as good somewhere here in Oregon. I do not put in for draw units out of state and have no real need for a huge bull. The weather here is good and so is the scenery. I am happy where I am.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 03 04, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Because the opportunity in WA is nil.

I prefer to hunt with a rifle, so my options are hunt spike bulls in the good Eastern Washington units, on herds that are chronically below objective, hunt bulls in units that have no objective and extremely low populations of elk, or hunt 3 pt or better in the Western Washington rainforest in November, our rainiest month. I would actually consider that except that 75% of available land to hunt is private timber company land and the access permit costs almost as much as an out of state tag.

I could hunt archery and get better seasons and open up antlerless harvest in some of those areas, but that's the only upside to it.

By going out of state I actually get a quality hunt in areas with animals, can pursue bulls if I choose, and my chance of success is higher.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 03 04, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I didn't hunt out of state,except three times.Once in Colorado when I was New Mexico Resident and they had Sportsman's license. Once in New Mexico when I was a Colorado Resident and I was given a Land Owner Voucher, and the only time I did a guided hunt in Alberta.

Can't afford a Wyoming NR tag .

Except maybe for a darn good private land hunt, I can't see why any NR would pay the fee to hunt Colorado elk. Their OTC tags are a joke and the really good units take too many points.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics