Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Officers kill two dogs after they attacked elk calves near C

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Officers kill two dogs after they attacked elk calves near C

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I suspect the dogs followed the elk from the reservation. Only one farmplace out there ( 4 houses) otherwise
I drove around out that way, the elk have been coming right into the edge of town. A friend of my wife's had a picture of a bunch of elk across the street from her house . I took a ride around today 23 spikes with 350 cows and calves north a ways

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/02/officers-kill-two-dogs-after-they-attacked-elk-calves-near-chubbuck/

CHUBBUCK — An Idaho Fish and Game officer shot two dogs Friday afternoon after the animals attacked two elk calves and harassed a herd of elk northeast of Chubbuck.

Chubbuck animal control officers received a report around 12:30 p.m. that the dogs were attacking the elk herd near 2 1/2 Mile Road and Northgate Parkway.

The officers responded, along with Bannock County Sheriff’s deputies and Idaho Fish and Game officers. The dogs were fatally shot before Fish and Game killed the two elk calves when it was determined they could not be saved, according to Idaho Fish and Game spokeswoman Jennifer Jackson.

Officials were concerned the dogs would continue to harass the elk herd if they were not euthanized.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Officers kill two dogs after they attacked elk calves ne

Postby wawhitey » 02 25, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Id kill them too.

I love dogs, but if theyre attacking fawns or calves, its lights out. Is it their fault? No. But im not in the business of assigning blame. I will, however, deal with problems
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 26, 2023 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:Id kill them too.

I love dogs, but if they're attacking fawns or calves, its lights out. Is it their fault? No. But im not in the business of assigning blame. I will, however, deal with problems

I still havent heard the inside story.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2023 •  [Post 4]

When there is "an inside story" they rarely publicize the incident. I would assume the wildlife agents were just doing the job they were hired for. I'm with Whitey on this from everything we see reported.
Just because a person is paranoid, does not mean that they are not out to get you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 26, 2023 •  [Post 5]

We shot any dog(s) found chasing deer in Maine. Sad to do but if you ever saw a deer run down by dogs in crusted snow you would do it. The dogs would never feed. They went home to lay at the feet of their owners.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 02 27, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Spoke with a fellow for the tribal fish and game. There are 9,000 elk just north of town (nine thousand :o ) He stated that this was the first time since Palisades Dam was completed and filled in 1958 that the historical herds have migrated this far west. Anyway tomorrow evening Ill be glassing hopefully where the biggest congregation is located.
Lefty