Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Coffee

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whats your coffee?

Take it black. Anything else is blasphamy.
57%
Cream & Sugar.
14%
I prefer tea actually, just not out loud.
14%
Snickerdoodle. I really don't hunt elk preferring clothes shopping and needlepoint.
14%

View results

Coffee

Postby Jhg » 02 07, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I enjoy good coffee. I understand its power. I have seen reasonable people consider murder when denied it.
And after a cold cold week hunting elk in the snow that first cup of "whatever they serve" at the ranch town diner is almost the best thing you ever tasted. Cold fingers wrapped around the hot mug, dinner of burger and fries on the way. Life is good.
Jhg

Re: Coffee

Postby 7mmfan » 02 07, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Yes. I am also a black coffee fan. I don't mind creamer, or milk in it occasionally but drink my coffee black daily. I've gone as far when backpack hunting as to bring the little jetboil french press with me. I'd much rather pack the extra ounces in both coffee and gear to make a good cup of joe in the morning than drink instant junk. It's one of my few luxury items in my pack.

I have however had to cut back on caffeine over the last couple of years. I noticed I was getting extra jittery a few years ago so cut back to half caff coffee. In the last 6 months I had a heart condition arise and the doctor suggested I limit my caffeine intake even more so now I drink 1 cup of regular coffee and anything beyond that is decaf. I haven't minded at all.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 02 07, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I prefer my coffee with about a tablespoon full of regular creamer. If I don't have a creamer, I am pleased to drink it black. I would rather have no cream as have too much. I don't want any sugar or fancy latte style creamer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 02 07, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I have always drank it black, but years ago, I had to lay off caffeine. Now it is decaf,but I still brew it pretty strong
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I thought a coffee thread would get a lot of a action.

9C1E90A6-A839-4A11-BC41-77870600BBEF.jpeg
9C1E90A6-A839-4A11-BC41-77870600BBEF.jpeg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I really like the Folgers packets that come 7 in a little box. They are actually very good, and I can get a fresh cup in two minutes. No one else in camp drinks coffee so I can get one fresh cup at any time, and nothing goes stale.
I suppose this is the opportunity for someone to say they would just as soon boil their dirty socks in the coffee pot and drink the water as to drink an instant coffee but try the packets first. Starbucks and others have come out with those little packets. They all have a little different flavor. I just prefer the Folgers. And besides they are cheaper than the fancy ones.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I found an instant packet a buddy left in the camper. It was after a long cold day in the elk woods. The packet had cream/sweetener already in it. I have to say, at that moment that cup of coffee was perfect.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Swede, I would just as soon boil my dirty socks in the coffee pot and drink the water as to drink an instant coffee. I have tried the Folgers packets you speak of. I still have the box in my pantry. They were barely okay as far as I'm concerned. I am a self admitted black coffee snob though, and I like my coffee strong, that's why I lean towards the french press.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Jhg wrote:I found an instant packet a buddy left in the camper. It was after a long cold day in the elk woods. The packet had cream/sweetener already in it. I have to say, at that moment that cup of coffee was perfect.

Does this look like the packet you tried? I’ve been using these for years, at base and in the backcountry. They’re good.

https://www.amazon.com/TRUNG-Instant-Te ... NrPXRydWU=
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Not sure but the packets look similar. Was not the narrow tube packets for sure. Anyway, for a tired hunter in need of hot and savory, just the ticket.

Seems like what I tried was Folgers or Nescafe or similar.

I will try the ones you linked to.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 11]

I like the Nescafe but it is a little too much. Folgers is a little smaller packet.
Note to 7mmfan: You can use two of those little tube packets at a time if you want a stronger cup of coffee. One is perfect for me.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:I like the Nescafe but it is a little too much. Folgers is a little smaller packet.
Note to 7mmfan: You can use two of those little tube packets at a time if you want a stronger cup of coffee. One is perfect for me.

It still tastes worse than my old socks.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 13]

Ill drink gas station coffee if im on the road and want some caffeine, im not picky. And if somebody on the boat has a pot going, ill drink it all. At home, or at camp, im drinking tea. But either way, coffee or tea, you dont go putting sugar or cream or any of that junk in it. Its just fine how it is.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 14]

My hunting camp including kitchen begin right behind my tailgate. I have not packed in for several years. Still, I prefer the little coffee tubes. I almost always have several pairs of dirty socks in a box. I can consider them canned coffee in case 7mm shows up in camp. I do not take regular coffee to be perked. I do that for church and regular company at home. :D
Swede

Postby Jhg » 02 09, 2023 •  [Post 15]

wawhitey wrote:...But either way, coffee or tea, you dont go putting sugar or cream or any of that junk in it. Its just fine how it is.

Thats what I'm talkin' about!
Jhg